Gun cleaner

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    I use CLP for general cleaning and lubricating. For barrel cleaning I use hoppes #9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarneyFife

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    North of BR
    I saw "Hickok45" using Ballistol in his Youtube videos, so thought I'd give it a try. I've switched over to it from CLP. Seems to do the job very good.

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I use CLP but would give Ballistol a try if I could find it in my area. Maybe I just havent looked for it hard enough? :confused:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Remoil, but then again, anything I have available works... CLP, RemOil, etc. I've found that cleaning products work as good as the brush you're using. There's no "Magic" cleaner or secret recipe... cleaner and a plastic bristle brush (or copper if you're cleaning specific parts - no steel). Especially since we're cleaning some range firearms each day that have had thousands of rounds through them. NONE of the cleaners provide some end-all one and done performance in that type of environment.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Remoil, but then again, anything I have works for general cleaningworks... CLP, RemOil, etc. I've found that cleaning products work as good as the brush you're using. There's no "Magic" cleaner or secret recipe... cleaner and a plastic bristle brush (or copper if you're cleaning specific parts - no steel). Especially since we're cleaning some range firearms each day that have had thousands of rounds through them. NONE of the cleaners provide some end-all one and done performance in that type of environment.

Rem Oil is near the bottom of the list. Almost any CLP works for general cleaning. You may have to soak overnight but Hoppes #9 or Liquid Wrench both work on the really tough jobs. For General Cleaning I am a fan of Weapon Shield CLP.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Any CLP for cleaning and lube (Break Free, Ballistol, Otis). Butch's Bore Shine - Removes copper and powder fouling. Strong yet safe for stainless barrels

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    M-Pro 7, Hoppes#9, and for total tear down cleaning I use a 20 gallon parts washer with Ed's Red mix.

AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    If wanting to use an aresol spray to blast out grime and debris I use Non-Clorinated Brake parts cleaner. Other than that I use Ed's Red with reduced/no acetone. But I also keep a supply of Hoppes #9 cleaner and Hoppes Elite Gun oil on hand as well as some grease. I am currently experimenting with mink oil (in the shoe polish area) for prolonged storage corrosion protection. There are low cost alternatives to the in my opinion over priced options, just have to think outside the box.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    After trying virtually every gun cleaner and lube on the market I am using Birchwood Casey Poly Safe aerosol cleaner and Slip 2000 lube.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Aerosol?
    I use gun scrubber to get all the fowling off everything. Followed by a thin coat of clp.

I also use fireclean for anything with a lot of carbon build up. Eezox for guns that will not be shot any time soon, and hoppes for barrels to get rid of lead fowling.

Slip 2000 is the gun oil I keep in my bag since it's thin and you can buy a small bottle.

I have frog lube and m pro 7 but rarely use it

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I do the same thing CLP and Hoppies #9 as dad dies and left me 2 quarts in glass bottles.
    I did make up a half gallon of Bens Red and it works great was 10-40 Royal Purple and Mopar Trans fluid as lube. and some Kero aded as cleaner that was used on a batch of real old dirty rusty guns. Worked better than CLP or Hoppies

firelane

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Nine Mile Point LA
    + 1 on the Non-Clorinated Brake parts cleaner. I have been using this for years now without any issues . And for lubricating I user Lucas gun oil .

Last edited:

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    If wanting to use an aresol spray to blast out grime and debris I use Non-Clorinated Brake parts cleaner. Other than that I use Ed's Red with reduced/no acetone. But I also keep a supply of Hoppes #9 cleaner and Hoppes Elite Gun oil on hand as well as some grease. I am currently experimenting with mink oil (in the shoe polish area) for prolonged storage corrosion protection. There are low cost alternatives to the in my opinion over priced options, just have to think outside the box.

Maybe it's a Ponchatoula thing, or maybe great minds think alike, but I also use brake cleaner. Just get the kind that doesn't leave residue. It runs about $3-4 for a large can. I would be careful around plastic and wood finishes, but I have not had any issues with any polymer grips that it has gotten on - or wood for that matter. It will degrease as good as anything and breaks down most crud easily. I have used it as a final rinse before refinishing a few guns with duracoat. It's great for blasting trigger mechanisms that don't disassemble very easily. It evaporates quickly and fully and leaves surfaces dry as a bone. It doesn't smell as good as Hoppes #9, but what does? Women could wear that stuff like perfume to attract men.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    I use 2 bore snakes. One with hoppes #9 and some CLP on the tail end. The other with some CLP or dry on the brush end and oil on the back end (Whatever brand I'm using at the time)

kchunts

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2016
    Houma, La.
    Try using LPS 3 in an aerosol can. I use it to protect engine cranks ans cams, plus a few antique firearms that I have. Stays soft and cleans up easily when I want to fire one of the old guns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom