Anyone carry a .380?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    Not knocking you, you can carry whatever you want, but you should really look into that ammo. I guess the old saying that something is better than nothing applies here, but there are far better options available out there, especially for a 380.

Extensive G2 testing (Phase 1)
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/daniel-zimmerman/g2-researchs-rip-ammo-ballistic-testing-phase-one/
    Phase 2
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/daniel-zimmerman/g2-researchs-rip-ammo-ballistic-testing-phase-two/
    Phase 3 (VS GOLD DOT)
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/daniel-zimmerman/g2-rip-ammo-test-part-3-rip-vs-gold-dot/

Well looks like I best go shoot this Sh** at some paper I guess I looked at the wrong tests
    Thanks for the links
    Wingate
    PS this will make some very expensive target rounds :puke:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Only .380 I ever carried is a See Camp, generally just for backup but occasionally for deep concealment when I couldn't carry much else. I pretty much stuck to Hornady HP's due to those feeding the best. Same conical looking round as today, just no polymer.
    Now with all the micro 9mm pistols I've retired the See Camp

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    S&W Bodyguard 380 is my mousegun choice and at $169 after rebate from PSA, was an offer to good to refuse.
    I've tried a bunch of different 380's and really like the Kahr CW380 and CT380 for all time favorites.
    I use Winchester 380 FTFMJ for hardball and Hornady Critical Defense for drug zombies.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Not speaking from experience as I do not own a .380 pistol and I use quality JHP in all my pistols but some recommend using hot FMJ rounds in a .380 due to the lack of penetration with .380 JHP rounds. Something you may want to research.

This. Might even go lead ball.

Last edited:

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I carry a Keltec P3AT when my mode of dress doesn't allow for anything larger and usually load JHP, FMJ, every other round. Right now it is loaded with Winchester Ranger T JHPs and Magtech FMJs. Why did I load it this way? I read something about full metal jackets penetrating deeper than JHPs in a .380 so that is why I chose to go this route. I personally believe that a .380 in my pocket is better than a gun left in the safe at home.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions. I am currently carrying a Sig Sauer P238 with Sig's V-Crown Elite Hollow Points. Same setup as Moe24 it would seem. But I am thinking about the suggestion of stacking them JHP then FMJ and so on. Anyways, thank you all for throwing in your two cents.

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Occasionally carry a SIG P232 in .380, but not often - carry with Fiocchi with XTP bullets (watch the Shootingthebull video)
    Normal carry gun is SIG P226 in 9mm.
    Yes, huge size difference, but actually have no problem carrying either OWB
    And there is not a lot of difference in being able to conceal with either - have to dress around your carry.

scoutgunner

Premium Member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Houma, LA
    I do not have any .380 but I do carry a .32 Beretta Tomcat, none of which I know anything about historically. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of .380 vs .32?

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I have a Taurus TCP738 .380 and I shoot Hornady Critical Defense. Check out some of the videos on Youtube of this ammo in .380 being shot into a block of ballistics gel. While it does not penetrate super far, it still went about 8" into the gel and caused a large amount of expansion in the gel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8hr8X7RLTI

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom