Bolt or semi auto action?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanker

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Metairie, Louisana
    For you folks that shoot further than 250 meters out to a max of 400 meters or so:

1) Do you prefer the precision accuracy of a bolt action or will a semi auto do it?

2) If you were shooting around 250 meters with the range decreasing as time goes by, would you stick with your bolt action or would you prefer to have a semi auto?
    I've always been an "inside 200 meter guy" who shoots ARs and AKs. I know NOTHING about using bolt action rifles. If a target was coming at you and steadily decreasing the range, is the increased accuracy of a bolt action worth it or is the greater capacity of the semi auto the way to go? I know there are many really good shooters on here that have shot or shot at many different things. I've got a friend who asked me about this in regards to a SHTF situation and I couldn't answer him because I simply don't know. My friend is a decent shot, but no marksman by any means. Appreciate the help!

BO_V

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    If I was shooting that type of distance I would go for a bolt rifle
    It has more precision than the semi auto
    That's just my opinion

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    There is very little difference in practical accuracy between a good bolt action and a good semi auto at that range. But I would also ask "how accurate do you need?" 2 moa is still all inside a paper plate 400m, and most ar15s will do that or better with appropriate ammo and shooter skill. While I have no experience with bolt actions I have not found the ar15 platform leaving me wanting more accuracy. Not that I am a good enough shooter to take advantage of a half moa gun anyway.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    For precision, go with a bolt gun, but for a SHTF situation an AR can handle 400m with reasonable accuracy.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    For under 100yrds/meters, I am all for a semi auto. Getting out to 200yrds/meters and beyond, I am going with a bolt gun.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    For you folks that shoot further than 250 meters out to a max of 400 meters or so:

1) Do you prefer the precision accuracy of a bolt action or will a semi auto do it?

2) If you were shooting around 250 meters with the range decreasing as time goes by, would you stick with your bolt action or would you prefer to have a semi auto?
    I've always been an "inside 200 meter guy" who shoots ARs and AKs. I know NOTHING about using bolt action rifles. If a target was coming at you and steadily decreasing the range, is the increased accuracy of a bolt action worth it or is the greater capacity of the semi auto the way to go? I know there are many really good shooters on here that have shot or shot at many different things. I've got a friend who asked me about this in regards to a SHTF situation and I couldn't answer him because I simply don't know. My friend is a decent shot, but no marksman by any means. Appreciate the help!

The over simplification of it is that a bolt gun should be more accurate and cheaper. There are still some factors that go into it. Cost is also a factor, with some guns. How much effort is someone willing to put in to optimize either one? If you are just going to use what ever ammo you can and not ammo test or handload then it is a roll of the dice to some degree. If you are talking about moving targets or a moving shooter probably no difference. AR's can be pretty accurate if you want a .223 and a AR is practically a bolt gun in the way the bolt locks up. The right setup on an AR and 600yds is no problem, but then that is not an m4forgery with just any old ammo. In theory the bolt gun has the edge. Loses the edge if you are standing up. If you are standing up and running . . . .
    Things like rifle fit could be just as important as what type of action it has. A junk bipod won't help either.

Last edited:

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    There is very little difference in practical accuracy between a good bolt action and a good semi auto at that range. But I would also ask "how accurate do you need?" 2 moa is still all inside a paper plate 400m, and most ar15s will do that or better with appropriate ammo and shooter skill. While I have no experience with bolt actions I have not found the ar15 platform leaving me wanting more accuracy. Not that I am a good enough shooter to take advantage of a half moa gun anyway.

I agree with the Yank. I have a bolt action 308, but I'm looking to build a semi auto 308 soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_4/2889_-223-AR15-vs-Bolt-Action-for-accuarcy.html&page=2

(Abbreviated for those who don't want to read the thread, precision ar15 vs savage build, both in 223 rem. Savage managed about .3 moa and ar15 managed about .4-.5 moa. Definitive? No, but it shows that the ar15, as well as its parent chambering, are lacking nothing in accuracy within supersonic range of the .223/5.56 cartridge.)

Stumbled accords this in a quick interweb search. Interesting data point, however I would have liked to see larger shot groups.

I tend to use at least two 5 shot groups and overlay them centered on the point of impact and look at the spread. From there I take the best performing loads and move on to multiple 8-10 shot groups, again overlaying at the point of aim. It uses a lot of ammo yes but the data presented can't be argued. It also shows why sometimes a gun will throw 3 into a 2" triangle and on the next 3 into one hole, or two touching and one out into nowhere. Short answer is not enough points of data to make an accurate judgement of precision.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow

For guys saying bolt rifle given the distances and requirement of SHTF stated. Let's put 5 Full Size IPSC targets from 250 to 400 meters, unknown distances, and lets get on a shot timer. First one to hit all 5 wins, I'll bring a semi-auto and you bring a bolt rifle. Make it worth my while and I'll travel.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    For guys saying bolt rifle given the distances and requirement of SHTF stated. Let's put 5 Full Size IPSC targets from 250 to 400 meters, unknown distances, and lets get on a shot timer. First one to hit all 5 wins, I'll bring a semi-auto and you bring a bolt rifle. Make it worth my while and I'll travel.

I've got $500 if we can make it interesting and have all of the guys saying "bolt rifle" to run towards us with the targets over their heads. You know....to keep the spirit of the OP's question.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom