Remington 700 magpul stock

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I was thinking about building a long range magnum caliber rifle. Before I begin, I've got a 300 wsm Remington 700 sps. Should I just start with this? I was thinking about installing a magpul stock and a good trigger, also better glass. Thoughts? Would eventually be used on elk

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Step one get a good stock, magpul is good from what I hear.
    step two learn to reload your own ammo. I don't know of factory match ammo for that caliber so that will be your best bet, as well as being cheaper than buying match ammo anyway.
    Step three, shoot tiny groups! :D

After that upgrade what you think you need. Learn to shoot with the stock trigger, you'll be better when you get the match trigger if you think you still need it later. What glass do you have currently?

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Had a Luepold vx3 3x9x50. Hated it. Would completely fog up in cold weather. Currently sporting a bushnell elite 3x9x40. Good hunting scope for LA, but will need to upgrade for Utah

Last edited:

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Had a Luepold vx3 3x9x50. Hated it. Would completely fog up in cold weather. Currently sporting a bushnell elite 3x9x40. Good hunting scope for LA, but will need to upgrade for Utah

What range would you be looking at shooting, maximum? That will help us recommend glass as generally the farther you go the more magnification you need, but good clarity at high power is very expensive usually. Rule of thumb usually is 1x per 100 yards, I prefer a bit more than that.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I love my Magpul 700 hunter stock...never had anything other than factory stock so maybe my vote is off, but it's a real nice stock for the money, along with mags, lop adjustments, and cheek risers

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    The 300 WSM is a capable Elk caliber but it takes a capable shooter to shoot "at distance" on game. First you need to learn to shoot. 300 WSM is a bad idea to learn on. More powder and more recoil than necessary which will lead to bad habits. If you don't reload buy a rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor because good economical ammo is available with minimal recoil, great ballistics and good barrel life. Get with the guys in Donaldsonville and learn to shoot. Then you will be able to know yourself by then if the 300 WSM you have is accurate enough for your intended purpose.

I have a few rifles that I would not hesitate to shoot Elk past 600 yards with. But I wouldn't let just anyone get behind the trigger and do it. Buying a guitar doesn't make you a musician. Just like buying a capable rifle with adequate optics and tuned ammo doesn't mean you bought the skill to use it.

PS: I have a hunch but I'll let this play out.

Last edited:

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I feel pretty confident in my shooting abilities. The WSM, at least to me, really doesn't recoil bad. With that being said, I don't get enough long range practice with it.

I'd love to build a 6.5 Creedmore. My buddy and I just built some 20" AR's chambered in 6.5 Grendel. That rifle will touch holes at 100 yards. The most impressive thing is how it shoots in the wind. The BC on the round is sick. We were busting milk jugs at 550 in 30 mph winds... incredible! I can't imagine what the Creedmore would do.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I have a 300wsm with the Magpul 700 stock, Timney trigger and Leupold VX-6. Shooting the Federal Fusion 165 grain. It does the job really good.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I love the Magpul Hunter Stocks (Definitely needs the mag well/trigger guard upgrade too)... currently I have the McMillan Tactical stock with the Magazine well on my 700... just sturdy and solid. I have a Boyd's Pro Varmint on another that is also similar to the McMillan but no mag well and a lot less expensive.

Remington now ships the 700 with the Magpul stock... its the "MODEL 700 MAGPUL" with 22" Heavy Free-floated barrel with 5-R rifling.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom