Anybody have a 3d printer?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Anyone have a 3d printer? Or recommend a small company? I'm looking to have some stuff made, pretty simple things. Wandering about cost and such.

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    Just an fyi. The Lafourche Parish Library has a 3D printer in the main branch in Thibodaux. I think the cost is only for the media used in the printing. Check with your local library.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    All Louisiana parish main branch library have this. You have to take a class 8-16hrs and make appointment for use. Don't really have time or energy for a one time job.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I have a FlashForge Creator Pro, what do you need printed? I'm up in the Shreveport area.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I'm looking to get silver dollar sized medallions with raised figures, like unicorn, sword and shield, etc... It's to press into clay sand to pour pewter into. So no super fine details.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    All of the online services want a 3d or sls file. The whole reason l didn't want to do it via library is the pita of creating sls files.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Don't know what that is. I want several silver dollar sized medallion with a raised (1/8- 1/4 inch) figure such as unicorn, skull, crossed swords, etc ...
    3e4ea6d0ecbcbdf60cf66ba35bb35bb4.jpg

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Don't know what that is. I want several silver dollar sized medallion with a raised (1/8- 1/4 inch) figure such as unicorn, skull, crossed swords, etc ...
    3e4ea6d0ecbcbdf60cf66ba35bb35bb4.jpg

The would require true 3d.
    If your parts don't need to last a whole bunch of cycles you could use clay that hardens. A 2nd option would be to cut flat material to shape and grind / sand the curves into to. Both would give it a hand done look and then it would be hard to repeat a second original.

My terms are really used to the describe the machine. I have machines that are 2.5D, the Z axis is either up or down. No real control of radiuses if the Z axis is involved. Mostly flat work. I will try to get you a pic of what I mean by it.

The 3d printer services I talked to required a file done. I just thought it was ridiculous to go to a 3rd party for relative simple parts and every minor change repeated the cycle. That with no ideas of cost made it a tough sell.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I need them plastic, they will be pressed in clay/sand mould to make a copy with pewter, so they need to last lots of uses.
    And that's why I was hoping I could pay someone on here to make some. It's too much of a pita for me to do the library's route, or most online places.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Why don't you get a few medallions and then do the mold casting off of them? It may be easier than 3D printing them. I did a quick google search for skull and crossbone ones and a few items came up. You can usually get them pretty cheap.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Why don't you get a few medallions and then do the mold casting off of them? It may be easier than 3D printing them. I did a quick google search for skull and crossbone ones and a few items came up. You can usually get them pretty cheap.

That would probably be one of the easier methods. Maybe use the material dentists use to do whatever dentists do with that **** haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom