Gunsmiths who work on AR uppers; install AR barrel, gas block, and barrel nut

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Lol there's a lot more than cheaperthandirt, every utg and alg I have bought was bought as a "kit" and all came with wrench, just takes a little more than 2mins surfing the web to try to prove sombody wrong to figure that out.... Just saying

And I noticed you couldn't even say your right about Midwest industries all comming with a wrench lol, it's ok, I'm married I'm used to not hearing "your right" lmbo

Ok, you got one out of four right, congrats. That's 25% accuracy, not very good. You got more BS with you than facts. Maybe you should change ur username to BigBS.

Prove me wrong on the UTGs. Oh and come up with three more that come with a barrel wrench in the box. I'm waiting BigBS.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Lol

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      10.3 KB · Views: 176

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Later in the year, I'm thinking about re barreling an AR. Which means I'd also need the gas block and barrel nut to be installed. Are there any smiths in the area who would do that type of work?

Did you find a gunsmith? I have an upper that I'm looking to change out a receiver on too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have to ask with all of this talk about bench vises... What real man does not have a sturdy workbench and a vise? Unless you are 6, or a paraplegic the use of a bench vise would have happened much earlier than gun ownership.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Not really. I would consider myself a real man and didn't get a bench vise until recently. I just didn't need one at the time.

When I needed to hammer some flat iron into bend I put it on my tractors bucket and used that 90 degree angle to make the shape with the hammer. Needed to hold something to unscrew it, two pairs of vise grips did the job. Need to hold a piece of wood to saw it or drill it my booted foot did a good job for that. As you can see real men use the tools at hand to get the job done when needed.

Now I do own a bench vise because I needed to do some smithing on the guns and the job required a bench vise to do it right and I finally got that cabinet and workbench setup going so I had a place to mount it.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    You don't need a whole lot to do your own work if you can make do with what you have. $40.00 computer desk from walmart, $20.00 5" bench vise from harbor freight, misc other tools, and I mill/build my own rifles on a regular basis.. Pretty soon I'll be getting to doing pistols too.. Looking into the Poly80 PF940C 80% frames and what all I'll need now....

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      227.5 KB · Views: 83

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Not really. I would consider myself a real man and didn't get a bench vise until recently. I just didn't need one at the time.

When I needed to hammer some flat iron into bend I put it on my tractors bucket and used that 90 degree angle to make the shape with the hammer. Needed to hold something to unscrew it, two pairs of vise grips did the job. Need to hold a piece of wood to saw it or drill it my booted foot did a good job for that. As you can see real men use the tools at hand to get the job done when needed.

Now I do own a bench vise because I needed to do some smithing on the guns and the job required a bench vise to do it right and I finally got that cabinet and workbench setup going so I had a place to mount it.

Sorry, I may have mis-spoke there about the "real man" part... By "real man" I meant someone who actually fixes and creates items correctly, with precision. I see no way to accurately perform certain tasks without a bench vise. And "working around" a bench vise is not really what a real man would do, a real man thinks and prepares. Plus a bench vise is one of the first tools a workshop should have.

A real busy man may need to use the "old workaround" to get something "done" but that does not mean it is done correctly. I have had to do this at times, and almost always wish I had taken the time to do it right...

As far as factory built ar uppers go, I have handled a few hundred and can say that a meaningful amount of them, maybe a dozen, had the barrel nuts on hand tight. Best to check before getting the upper setup in the vise.

You do not really need a receiver block to install a barrel in a flat top upper, you can use wood or plastic between the jaws and the pict rail on the top and across the bottom to hold the upper. While the magpul wrench is nice (I use it most of the time), a simple dpms style wrench end to use with a breaker bar or torque wrench will do, and can be easier if you still have the delta ring on. Plus if you plan to torque the barrel nut on assembly (which is advised) you will need the torque wrench. The 11 dollar on special harbor freight torque wrench is plenty good. In fact, you can go to the freight and buy the torque wrench, bench vise and some punches for less than 100 bucks.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    You don't need a whole lot to do your own work if you can make do with what you have. $40.00 computer desk from walmart, $20.00 5" bench vise from harbor freight, misc other tools, and I mill/build my own rifles on a regular basis.. Pretty soon I'll be getting to doing pistols too.. Looking into the Poly80 PF940C 80% frames and what all I'll need now....

Perfect example of a good inexpensive setup here, looks like you have decent lighting too. The poly 80 glock frame is very easy. I did mine with a cordless drill and a file. I have a mill at work but it was sunday and I did not feel like the drive. Not sure if I used the vise or not with that. A real man would have!!!

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Sorry, I may have mis-spoke there about the "real man" part... By "real man" I meant someone who actually fixes and creates items correctly, with precision. I see no way to accurately perform certain tasks without a bench vise. And "working around" a bench vise is not really what a real man would do, a real man thinks and prepares. Plus a bench vise is one of the first tools a workshop should have.

A real busy man may need to use the "old workaround" to get something "done" but that does not mean it is done correctly. I have had to do this at times, and almost always wish I had taken the time to do it right...

As far as factory built ar uppers go, I have handled a few hundred and can say that a meaningful amount of them, maybe a dozen, had the barrel nuts on hand tight. Best to check before getting the upper setup in the vise.

You do not really need a receiver block to install a barrel in a flat top upper, you can use wood or plastic between the jaws and the pict rail on the top and across the bottom to hold the upper. While the magpul wrench is nice (I use it most of the time), a simple dpms style wrench end to use with a breaker bar or torque wrench will do, and can be easier if you still have the delta ring on. Plus if you plan to torque the barrel nut on assembly (which is advised) you will need the torque wrench. The 11 dollar on special harbor freight torque wrench is plenty good. In fact, you can go to the freight and buy the torque wrench, bench vise and some punches for less than 100 bucks.

No offense taken I was just responding to help the OP out. I do agree that a decent setup is pretty inexpensive now that Harbor Freight is more prevalent here and even have Nothern Tool nearby. Sign up for the harbor freight emails and you will get constant 20% off coupons. I print out multiple copies and have the wife and kids buy stuff as they say on the coupon only one per person.

Tanker

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Metairie, Louisana
    Contact Saint Bernard Indoor Shooting Center. If they can't do it they probably know someone who will do a quality job. Interstate Guns in Hammond might be an option.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LazrBeam
    Top Bottom