Gunsmiths who work on AR uppers; install AR barrel, gas block, and barrel nut

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    Later in the year, I'm thinking about re barreling an AR. Which means I'd also need the gas block and barrel nut to be installed. Are there any smiths in the area who would do that type of work?

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    If you have a vice you can get an upper vice block and a barrel but wrench and do it yourself. Maybe $50 in tools? Check Amazon of something similar. It really isn't hard, I do it all the time and I'm far from a gunsmith.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    If you purchase quality tools to do this at home, you'll spend more than $50. A good receiver block is $30, and a quality barrel nut tool is > $50 in itself. I own the Magpul (read quality and its like $70 new). Oh sure you can purchase a "does it all" $16 Chinese AR multi tool on ebay, but its just that, Chinese junk. I've seen more than one of these "tools" bend, distort, or shear the tool barrel nut pins under torque. Need a torque wrench, and pin punches too. And you'll need a sturdy bench vice. More tools if ur gas block is pinned. Oh and don't forget shipping charges for the needed tools you order.

If you're just gonna do one or two re-barrels or complete upper builds, not worth it IMO. Find a local gunsmith who is proficient with ARs and pay to have it done. Let a skilled, well tooled gunsmith do it.

Or a "local to you" forum member who has all the proper tools and a willingness to help you. There are a few guys here who are very knowledgeable. Maybe trade beer, or ammo, or a meal :)

Last edited:

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I am going to have to agree. If it is just one I would find a gunsmith. I got a cheap "do all" AR tool off of ebay and it didn't line up with the barrel nut grooves and I am probaby going to take it to a gunsmith to make sure everything is tight enough.
    That is not to say that I don't recommend working on or building your own AR. I have built 2 lowers and one upper and enjoyed the process but the uppers do require some more tools. A vice is super important.

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    If you purchase quality tools to do this at home, you'll spend more than $50. A good receiver block is $30, and a quality barrel nut tool is > $50 in itself. I own the Magpul (read quality and its like $70 new). Oh sure you can purchase a "does it all" $16 Chinese AR multi tool on ebay, but its just that, Chinese junk. I've seen more than one of these "tools" bend, distort, or shear the tool barrel nut pins under torque. Need a torque wrench, and pin punches too. And you'll need a sturdy bench vice. More tools if ur gas block is pinned. Oh and don't forget shipping charges for the needed tools you order.

If you're just gonna do one or two re-barrels or complete upper builds, not worth it IMO. Find a local gunsmith who is proficient with ARs and pay to have it done. Let a skilled, well tooled gunsmith do it.

Or a "local to you" forum member who has all the proper tools and a willingness to help you. There are a few guys here who are very knowledgeable. Maybe trade beer, or ammo, or a meal :)

I feel the same way, that if I was going to do multiple ARs over time it would worth it to make room for a vice, but I only plan putting together one at the moment. The next frontier would be NFA, but that wouldn't be any time soon if I wanted to get an SBR'd lower to build a shorty upper on. I wouldn't mind doing the work, but the investment in tools isn't proportional.

Last edited:

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    I am going to have to agree. If it is just one I would find a gunsmith. I got a cheap "do all" AR tool off of ebay and it didn't line up with the barrel nut grooves and I am probaby going to take it to a gunsmith to make sure everything is tight enough.
    That is not to say that I don't recommend working on or building your own AR. I have built 2 lowers and one upper and enjoyed the process but the uppers do require some more tools. A vice is super important.

I think the process would be enjoyable and probably could be it's own hobby. I could see the appeal of having different uppers for different purposes, and being able to assemble them yourself would mean you'd get exactly the product you'd want.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I think the process would be enjoyable and probably could be it's own hobby. I could see the appeal of having different uppers for different purposes, and being able to assemble them yourself would mean you'd get exactly the product you'd want.

Oh the process is enjoyable for sure. And with the internet, ar15.com, and youtube, you can find step by step videos/pics on how to assemble or disassemble AR15 uppers and lowers, and all specs. Its like Lego toys for gun enthusiasts, for some it's an addiction. Nothing like assembling ur own, I have done probably 7 or so to date. But to do it properly, and with a pinned gas block/FSB, you need $200 to 400 in tools, easy.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but to think you're going to be a competent assembler with maybe $50-75 in tools is a joke.

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    Oh the process is enjoyable for sure. And with the internet, ar15.com, and youtube, you can find step by step videos/pics on how to assemble or disassemble AR15 uppers and lowers, and all specs. Its like Lego toys for gun enthusiasts, for some it's an addiction. Nothing like assembling ur own, I have done probably 7 or so to date. But to do it properly, and with a pinned gas block/FSB, you need $200 to 400 in tools, easy.
    For doing 7, I think you got yours money's worth in tools. I found an online dealer that offers pinning of the gasblock in house, so I could order a barrel with the gas block already pinned. That saves a step on my side.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    For doing 7, I think you got yours money's worth in tools. I found an online dealer that offers pinning of the gasblock in house, so I could order a barrel with the gas block already pinned. That saves a step on my side.

Absolutely. Then hook up with a forum member with the proper tools and willing to help a guy out and do the rest. Or buy the tools you need. You wanna come to Hammond and buy me lunch or dinner after the fact, I can accommodate you. Noob is closer to you, maybe he might help out a fellow member? Maybe someone else closer to you may chime in.

PS...I'm not talking a lavish or expensive meal. Will work for a cheeseburger poboy, fries, and a drink :)

Last edited:

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    It sounds like I'm the only one who has had good luck with the cheaper tools. However I have gotten better ones lately (magpul wrench ROCKS!) and I would assume one would have punches, etc in your tool kit already. How much are the cheap wrenches going for now anyway? I got mine years ago.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Heck, watch a YouTube video, I've been in a bind at a camp before, a buddy wanted to swap to .300aac barrel, and used a 1"x4" in the mag well laying on the floor, and a strap wrench on the barrel nut, also have used a pipe wrench with a rag over barrel nut before to change out barrels... No it's not ideal, but my point is it isn't rocket science... No I didn't have a torque wrench with me, just snugged it up, after you have built a few with the proper tools you learn to know what the proper torque feels like.. And I HAVE NEVER HAD A ISSUE, with doing it like that... Yes normally I use the proper wrench and tools, just goes to show if your doing just one, maybe you don't need to spend the money on the tools, or pay a gunsmith $200 to swap a barrel and gasblock... Or for not much more $$ just buy a complete upper, use your bcg, and put that upper up for parts later. If your using a aftermarket free float forend most Come with a tool for the barrel nut

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Heck, watch a YouTube video, I've been in a bind at a camp before, a buddy wanted to swap to .300aac barrel, and used a 1"x4" in the mag well laying on the floor, and a strap wrench on the barrel nut, also have used a pipe wrench with a rag over barrel nut before to change out barrels... No it's not ideal, but my point is it isn't rocket science... No I didn't have a torque wrench with me, just snugged it up, after you have built a few with the proper tools you learn to know what the proper torque feels like.. And I HAVE NEVER HAD A ISSUE, with doing it like that... Yes normally I use the proper wrench and tools, just goes to show if your doing just one, maybe you don't need to spend the money on the tools, or pay a gunsmith $200 to swap a barrel and gasblock... Or for not much more $$ just buy a complete upper, use your bcg, and put that upper up for parts later. If your using a aftermarket free float forend most Come with a tool for the barrel nut

Yeah just go at it the BigChillin method.....1x4" in the mag well, standing on it on the floor, with a pipe wrench on the barrel nut. No need for specialized tools......LOL

Chilling: post me links to 4 different brands/manufacturers of full float handguards that come with a barrel nut tool with the handguard in the box. Should be easy for you, as you say above they most all come with one.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Lol come on John

Alg defense
    MIDWEST INDUSTRIES
    UTG PRO SS
    UTG PRO KEYMOD

all of those come with there own barrel wrench to put into a 3/8" socket or breaker bar...

Just to name a few, pleanty of them have a proprotary barrel nut which requires a proprotary wrench, that they ship with he forend and check it out John a strap wrench is the most universal ar barrel wrench they got, and a well fitted board in the magwell with the bolt back going into the upper is more than enough to break loose 30ft/lbs and if your just removing the delta nut to put on a free float you don't need that $10 barrel nut anymore, simply slide that delta ring up and put a strap wrench on it... That's the problem, to many people put a scare tactic on it, and make it more than it seems, an ar-15 is one of the most idiot proof build there is for guns 99.9% of the time no fitting, barrel has to line up with keyhole so no timing barrel, gas block has to push all the way to the m4 shoulder, lol most have divits in barrel for gas block set screws, buy bolts and carriers by the 100's and they all will function in any ar of the same caliber caliber, gas tubes are standar lengths and pin can only lock gas tube in the correct spot..My 8 year old can build one... Somtimes I think "you people" thrive off of acting like y'all are high tech master gunsmiths cause you can build an ar-15 lol

Yeah just go at it the BigChillin method.....1x4" in the mag well, standing on it on the floor, with a pipe wrench on the barrel nut. No need for specialized tools......LOL

Chilling: post me links to 4 different brands/manufacturers of full float handguards that come with a barrel nut tool with the handguard in the box. Should be easy for you, as you say above they most all come with one.

Last edited:

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA

Yea a 1x4 in the mag well is definitely not advisable. However of the upper is properly supported, anything that will grip the barrel but and turn it will work. I mean it's pretty much just like turning a big nut. Hence the name barrel NUT.
    And yes some FF rails come with a proprietary barrel nut tool because they use a proprietary barrel nut that is not compatible with tools for a standard barrel nut. ALG Defense comes to mind as one. I would know, between my dad and myself we have installed 5 or 6 of them.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Lol come on John

Alg defense
    MIDWEST INDUSTRIES
    UTG PRO SS
    UTG PRO KEYMOD

all of those come with there own barrel wrench to put into a 3/8" socket or breaker bar...

Just to name a few, pleanty of them have a proprotary barrel nut which requires a proprotary wrench, that they ship with he forend and check it out John a strap wrench is the most universal ar barrel wrench they got, and a well fitted board in the magwell with the bolt back going into the upper is more than enough to break loose 30ft/lbs and if your just removing the delta nut to put on a free float you don't need that $10 barrel nut anymore, simply slide that delta ring up and put a strap wrench on it... That's the problem, to many people put a scare tactic on it, and make it more than it seems, an ar-15 is one of the most idiot proof build there is for guns 99.9% of the time no fitting, barrel has to line up with keyhole so no timing barrel, gas block has to push all the way to the m4 shoulder, lol most have divits in barrel for gas block set screws... My 8 year old can build one

It's proprietary barrel nuts. ALG DOES NOT come with a barrel nut tool in the box with the handguard.

https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-v1-m-lok.html

Read the description, clearly states you have to purchase the barrel nut tool SEPARATELY.

"Note: IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME PURCHASING AN ALG DEFENSE RAIL, YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE A BARREL NUT WRENCH IN ORDER TO PROPERLY INSTALL THE RAIL."

Try again.....

Neither does UTG. Barrel nut yes, tool NO

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/leapers-utg-pro-15-superslim-keymod-handguard-free-float-design-includes-two-rail-sections-aluminum-black-mtu019ssk-4717385550261.do

I'm guessing you must be reading impaired maybe. Is this the case?

Last edited:

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Its proprietary barrel nuts. ALG DOES NOT come with a barrel nut tool in the box with the handguard.

https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-v1-m-lok.html

Read the description, clearly states you have tp purchase the barrel nut tool SEPARATELY.

"Note: IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME PURCHASING AN ALG DEFENSE RAIL, YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE A BARREL NUT WRENCH IN ORDER TO PROPERLY INSTALL THE RAIL."

Try again.....

Neither does UTG. Barrel nut yes, tool NO

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/leapers-utg-pro-15-superslim-keymod-handguard-free-float-design-includes-two-rail-sections-aluminum-black-mtu019ssk-4717385550261.do

I'm guessing you must be reading impaired maybe. Is this the case?

Hm, the ALG used to, I have no idea when they change that. Either way, it's a whopping $5.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Lol there's a lot more than cheaperthandirt, every utg and alg I have bought was bought as a "kit" and all came with wrench, just takes a little more than 2mins surfing the web to try to prove sombody wrong to figure that out.... Just saying

And I noticed you couldn't even say your right about Midwest industries all comming with a wrench lol, it's ok, I'm married I'm used to not hearing "your right" lmbo

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    And In case you over analyzed and switched to your super master ar gunsmithing personality, the situation was stated to simply show that it's not a hard job and "can" be done with simple tools laying around the house or camp, is it ideal, heck no, will it work, hell yes!!! Like using a "knuckle busting" crescent wrench over using a open/box end wrench will it work? Yep, is it the best nope, but can be done

Top Bottom