Ballistic Chronograph

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    Looking to get one. Any recommendations on one that you enjoy and use often?

I'd like to see what is the FPS on all my reloads are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I've got a Chrony, a Magnetospeed, and I recently picked up a Labradar. Like everything else, each system had strong & weak points. So far I like the LabRadar best. Sadly, the 25 year old Chrony is condemned to the nether regions under the loading bench.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    What distance do you shoot through it? Also, why those over something like a Caldwell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    never had one but have been researching a while. The Labradar seems the best to me hands down.

With the Labradar, you will have to position it in front of your can if you are shooting supressed. Even in front of the can it will still miss shots occasionally. I went back to my magnetospeed v3

Last edited:

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    With the Labradar, you will have to position it in front of your can if you are shooting supressed. Even in front of the can it will still miss shots occasionally. I went back to my magnetospeed v3

I thought it had to be in front even non-suppressed. I was just picturing setting it up to the front/side of the muzzle instead of those old-school light ones that had to be 10 yards away.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    That Labrador looks bad ass but holly crap is it expensive! I use a pro chrono and it's been accurate enough for me to dial in shots out to 800 yards with 5.56 hand loads. I will have a magnetospeed some day tho but will still use the other chrono for my pistol loads.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I thought it had to be in front even non-suppressed. I was just picturing setting it up to the front/side of the muzzle instead of those old-school light ones that had to be 10 yards away.

It triggers on the pop from the muzzle. There are guys that use them during our matches for data. It will register the rifle it is inches from and not one firing 3-4' away from it.
    On an unsupressed rifle you set it a few inches to the side from the front of your muzzle.
    Supressed I would have to set it 10-12" in front of the can and 2-3" to the side to pick up shots.

Last edited:

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    I've also been looking at a new chronograph. My "shooting chrony" doesn't give the accuracy I need for the type of load development I want to do. So is there a significant difference in the accuracy of labradar vs magnetospeed? I also see there are two different versions of the megnetospeed with a significant price difference. Which features do you find yourself using of the more expensive one?

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I've also been looking at a new chronograph. My "shooting chrony" doesn't give the accuracy I need for the type of load development I want to do. So is there a significant difference in the accuracy of labradar vs magnetospeed? I also see there are two different versions of the megnetospeed with a significant price difference. Which features do you find yourself using of the more expensive one?

The Ladradar and magnetospeed are both extremely accurate.
    Get the magnetospeed v3 if you are looking to use it on a suppressor.
    Sporter version works just fine on barrels from 1/2 - 1". Anything over 1" you will need the v3.
    Also, the XFR adapter hooks the v3 or sporter up to your phone so you can email yourself data.
    Downside to that is if you have a new iPhone 7 without the headphone jack you will have to buy the headphone/lightning adapter from apple so it will work.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA

Just to note, you mentioned load developing.
    I don't do load development with the magnetospeed bayonet on the gun. It can change barrel harmonics.
    I do my load development then use the v3 to confirm what I am seeing in the groups.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Yes, as the Magnetospeed mounts to the barrel it will alter the harmonics while the LabRadar wont. But it will clock some bullets that the LabRadar wont. With the external microphone I was able to get the LabRadar to trigger with a .22 rimfire, but it couldn't track the bullet (concave base gives too small radar cross section). However the LabRadar tracked .30 bullets out to 150 yards, no other system can do that. All depends on what you want. Or buy both!

BTW, for the LabRadar there is a sight that you can 3D print that makes set up a breeze!

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    thanks, I have done ladder tests in the past to select my powder charge, but been reading about people doing the same thing with only velocity readings and finding the flat spot in velocity and then verifying that it groups good. 6.5 guys has a video I thought was interesting. Going to try to convince my wife to swing by interstate and pick one up. :x: (looks like fingers crossed to me)

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    thanks, I have done ladder tests in the past to select my powder charge, but been reading about people doing the same thing with only velocity readings and finding the flat spot in velocity and then verifying that it groups good. 6.5 guys has a video I thought was interesting. Going to try to convince my wife to swing by interstate and pick one up. :x: (looks like fingers crossed to me)

Great folks at Interstate.
    They will take care of you for sure.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    For rifle Magneto Speed is the way to go and as Mickey stated take it off for determining best group. I've had some barrels and rifles where it didn't seem to matter and others it most certainly did. I know the video you're talking about on 6.5 guys and Scott is a trusted source and like they said both methods seem to work and arrive at the same conclusion from a different angle.

Last weekend we literally took a magneto and got the velocity of some bullets that we did not know the BC of as I think they are new. We shot them at 400, 600, 700, 775 and 925. We wrote down the corrections needed at those distances and put in the atmospheric data into Applied Ballistics on my phone. I input the MV the Magneto gave us and adjusted the G7 BC until the DOPE in the program matched up perfect with real world results. Took that to the match the next day and did very well. That is the backwards way of doing it being we didn't have a BC. If you are shooting a bullet who's BC can be trusted like Berger you literally can just confirm zero at 100, get the MV from the Magneto and you are good to go.

Last edited:

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Picked up the magnetospeed sporter the other day, I think it should do everything I need. I got a couple rifles I need to finish before I use it to work up new loads.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I appreciate this discussion guys. I want a chrono too but just didn't know which one to go with.

I tend to be very conservative on my load development for my 6.5 Grendel ar's because reading brass for a gas gun is a bit more difficult. I don't push it because I have read that some powders will spike suddenly. With a chrono I can watch the velocity and safely look for that next node.

Top Bottom