Media reporting the shooter in Virginia used an M4.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper56

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    LaPlace
    Watching CBS news and they are running the usual black rifle comments. However, they are reporting the shooter was armed with an M4 assault rifle. I doubt this was a true M4, as I recall an M4 is a select fire weapon. Why am I not surprised.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I have also heard one "bystander" comment that it was an AK style rifle. Time will tell on what it actually is. Of course, depending on how the media decide to spin their story to this occurance.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Does it matter what was used, it will be a case for more gun laws. We all know tougher gun laws keep criminals from shooting people.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Does it matter what was used, it will be a case for more gun laws. We all know tougher gun laws keep criminals from shooting people.

Yeah, Democrats just love blaming the tool, instead of individuals/perpetrators. Personal accountability are two words they def don't understand, and/or just simply despise.

Using their philosophies, we would have to ban all firearms, baseball bats, knives, hammers, spears, scissors, belts, rope, sheets, rocks, and motor vehicles.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Yeah, Democrats just love blaming the tool, instead of individuals/perpetrators. Personal accountability are two words they def don't understand, and/or just simply despise.

Using their philosophies, we would have to ban all firearms, baseball bats, knives, hammers, spears, scissors, belts, rope, sheets, rocks, and motor vehicles.

The democraps are like Priest's, All for them and Nun for us, Heard its an SKS. If so the dude was a P.Poor shooter and no training or the gun sucks?

For Sale, One SKS!!!

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    So much for CBS and their liberal news media. They stated multiple times he used an M4, and even put up a graphic of it at one point. I heard the male announcer ( I believe it was Scott Pelly) refer to it multiple times as "automatic". These a$$wipes don't know a semi auto from an automatic, from a bolt action.
    Liberal a$$wipes uneducated on the subject = moronic statements made in front of millions of viewers. Welcome to amerika!

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    At least when they prattle on about all the "clips" he used, they won't be wrong this time.

They may be wrong. I have heard an unconfirmed report from a so called witness that said the rifle had a "banana looking magazine" like an ak does. If this turns out to be true, the guy was either using duck bill detachable mags or a D or M model SKS that uses AK mags. Now, this is what the media claimed, and you do know how the media tends to screw things up and lie. So take it for what it is worth.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Oh you're going to love this...

I just read that on television today they said that even after the shooter fell to the ground (unconscious), that his SKS Assault Rifle (that fires 40 rounds a minute) continued to fire... because "That's what these types of weapons do!"

Why don't these people ever have a NORMAL everyday gun advocate on their shows? Someone who can actually speak INTELLIGENTLY about gun control and the second amendment and provide a valid argument as to why owning a firearm is a positive and not a negative.

There is always the typical "back when the amendment was written, they didn't consider AR-15 style weapons"... well no, they considered the same weapons that the government had. Which is the REASON for the amendment! How can a "Well Regulated Militia" even be formed or exist to defend against a tyrannical government if they can't even possess the same technology and weaponry as the government they EXIST to defend against?

"Gun Violence barely exists in the UK"... well, true... but then lets run down 50 people with a van and then jump out and randomly just stab everyone is a less violent crime??? Still committed by Criminals (terrorists are still criminals)... not LAW ABIDING CITIZENS!

Everyone just skims over the fact that this guy was a LEFT WING DEMOCRAT! Who more than likely pushed for the same agenda that these idiots are feeding everyone. Instead of coming together, I hear more of "He got what he deserved because hes a right wing racist!"... or "they finally got the same in return". This nation has COMPLETELY lost its direction in the world. Peace, Love and lets all gather around the fire for a happy session while we smoke some herb and talk about how to become one with the earth is destroying the fabric this country was founded on. It didn't work in the 60's & 70's and it won't work today.

The "Lets love everyone" doesn't exist in countries with stricter Gun Control laws... of course, STATISTICALLY they have very low Gun Violence... but what about the increase in other types of violence??? No one mentions that... they just focus on Firearms.

I also read that someone said in response to the officials that said they will now begin carrying firearms that "everyone runs when the gunshots begin"... to that I say, I'm not a police officer... I'm not putting myself in a situation to die defending anyone but myself or my family (the reason for my having firearms in the first place. If I was somewhere that an incident occurred where someone began shooting, if I am near an exit or I have the opportunity to flee safely, I will. If I am presented with a need to DEFEND myself or my family, I will without hesitation if I or they are in or in threat of being in imminent danger... but I am no longer in the military. I will not SEEK OUT and put myself in harms way to play policeman just to get a pat on the back (or served with a subpoena!) and then spend the rest of my life in the poor house defending those actions in court or from a jail cell.

The comments were also made that "When the police arrive they don't know who the bad guy is if everyone has a weapon"... another ignorant statement. Most, if not everyone who takes the time to TRAIN with a firearm would definitely know to render themselves unarmed with hands up or identify themselves if when the police arrive. Police don't randomly shoot plain clothed or off duty officers when they arrive on the scene during an incident. In fact, in a majority of incident's I would be willing to bet that the CCW holder has MORE training with their firearm than the officer does (from what I've discussed with some officers who are limited on range time unless they pay for it out of their own pocket).

Another reason for not SEEKING OUT the danger... you could be in the same situation... Who in their right mind, without proper situational awareness and tactical style training... if they hear gunshots three blocks away are going to draw their weapon and sprint to the scene to willfully jump into a gunfight without knowing what the hell is happening? What if you arrive on scene and see five people with guns? What if one of them is an off duty officer and you react to try and stop a (perceived) threat that you know nothing about and take action shooting the wrong person?

Owning a firearm or a CCW does NOT give you the right to be a de-facto officer of the law, nor does it warrant you chasing someone down to stop a threat to anyone other than yourself or your family... if you choose to do so, we all have that right as long as you use the amount of force you feel the person attempting to defend themselves would use in that situation. In doing so, you take on the responsibility of defending yourself against the litigious society we live in where ANYONE involved (and even some that were not involved at all) will file suit against you for trauma, and whatever else they can think of to milk whatever money they can from you and take advantage of the situation that you were attempting to save them from.

P.O.S.T. training should be offered to CCW holders. Then again, I do believe that there should be MORE training required before someone is allowed to possess a CCW... I do believe in some medical related background checks and some expanded local/federal criminal background checks, but only if it involved a violent action of some sort. If as a child you enjoyed cutting the heads off the bunny's your parents bought for Easter... maybe not sell that you a gun without some kind of evaluation... but then how do you regulate that? The tricky part. Do I think that someone who has NEVER TOUCHED a firearm in their life should buy a gun on Saturday morning and then two minutes later attend a CCW class and presto they are allowed to carry a firearm concealed on a daily basis? NO. Then again, should they be allowed to carry one Openly? Personally, I don't think so without some kind of mandatory requirement of training. Nothing extravagant, just a professional familiarization, teaching of the mindset and things you need to be aware of and think about (like the child standing behind the person you may fire at, responsibilities taken on, etc. when you decide to carry a weapon. I mean, even a CCW holder needs to pass a 36 round live fire test (well, "pass" is a loose term)... but a person walking into Academy and walking out with a firearm and a holster can parade through the store and parking lot with it on their hip before they even know how to load a single round in the chamber. If we had more "common sense" and not these idiots walking into Chick-fil-a with AR's strapped to their backs (though its their right to do so, it doesn't help the advocates at ALL!) I think I would feel differently.

I mean, do I think that every person in the military that I knew should have their hands on a weapon? GOD NO! But, in some situations they are the one's out there putting themselves on the line in every situation as the tip of the spear! Reckless? Sometimes. Is there a place for that in civilized society? Maybe not.

...but that's a whole other issue.

This rant was not meant to ruffle any advocates feathers, I am definitely on your side and most of this is just personal opinion and current state of mind ranting... My opinion may change depending on the situation I am presented with at the time. The goal of every gun owner should be to never HAVE to use it... not to look for reasons or excuses TO use it. Unless we are banding together as a well regulated militia!!! ;)

Sometimes I just want to buy an island and start my own country. Hahaha.

Sorry, one more edit... I give props and MUCH MUCH respect to our brothers in blue that make it possible for some of us to sleep well at night knowing they are there, in harms way, for us. Even with the views of some regarding police being there to "clean up" after an incident... put yourself in their shoes for a minute... they have families... they take on that responsibility VOLUNTARILY. They are people too (not the super heroes that some people expect them to be making millisecond decisions when someone pulls something out of their pocket and they need to decide if they or the perp die because of a BB gun, Wallet that may actually be a holster, Airsoft pistol, or ANY OBJECT when you're being asked to comply, etc.) in a job that is more stressful than most when you have NO IDEA who could walk up behind you and cause you harm at any given moment (but oh, "shoot them in the leg" or "shoot the gun out of their hand" instead of putting down the threat... come on people!). The officers I know RELY on and would more than likely WELCOME possible assistance from well trained CCW holders if the situation called for it and the need arose. With MOST boys in blue, we are on the same side with the same goals in mind... they just get a VERY MINIMAL salary for carrying out those duties.

Thanks for the platform. God bless (oh wait, can I say that?) :)

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Let me know when you are ready to buy that island and I am willing to go in on half of the expenses with you as long as I have a place there! I am ready, no, I have been long ready to get away from all the nonsense that has been taking place over the last few years!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    kingfhb,
    Sounds good but not realistic.
    I do not think many Non LEO's would be willing to spent 40 hours per week for approximately 12 weeks at P O S T in order to legally carry a pistol.
    They spend a week on the firing line shooting approximately 1,500 rounds and must shoot and pass the pistol qualification 4 times on the last day.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    kingfhb,
    Sounds good but not realistic.
    I do not think many Non LEO's would be willing to spent 40 hours per week for approximately 12 weeks at P O S T in order to legally carry a pistol.
    They spend a week on the firing line shooting approximately 1,500 rounds and must shoot and pass the pistol qualification 4 times on the last day.

Oh I didn't say it was Realistic!!! hahaha... But on my island, its a requirement! :) Then again, I do believe we should take after some governments where, once you turn 18, at least a year of military service is mandatory.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Calls for more gun control or not, they won't get any assistance from Steve Scalise, himself. Wrong guy to try that with.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom