Lynx by Predator Suppressor smallest 5.56 can

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OtterBob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    West Monroe
    Picked up a new suppressor a while back. Finally got to get it out of jail. Really glad I got this one. Ive got several 22 suppressors and several 30 caliber cans. But the size of this thing makes it great for in and out of the car or side by side, with out all the extra length of my bigger cans. To show the size comparison, the can on the left is a GM-22 and the one on the right is my new Lynx 5.56.
    I've only shot about 400 rounds of 22 or through it and about 100 rounds of 223. But I'm hoping to get my 17 HMR threaded and possibly pick up a threaded barrel for my FN 5.7.

http://acadianarmament.com/silencers/parallel-path-baffle/lynx-ti/
    68d1d3852312bce25ba9eaa638125137.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Very nice suppressors. I've talked with the rep several times and looked at all of his products. Extremely well made and functional. They definitely reduce the sound down to negate the need for hearing protection (even indoors). The design is great as well... very easy to break down and clean. So easy and there's an hex key wrench socket in the tip that you hold the baffle still while you unscrew the end-cap.

The only thing that prevents some stores from carrying them is that he hasn't gotten them rated for DB levels.

I hope his new design gets approved by the ATF.

Last edited:

RJC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2017
    Lafayette, LA
    Sound Pressure Level Reduction Reporting

There are a few reasons we choose not to publish sound pressure level (SPL) reductions for our silencers.

DoD Design Criteria Standard MIL-STD-1474E supersedes the less reliable MIL-STD-1474D (1474D). In spite of this, all of the references I’ve seen in the silencer/suppressor industry cite 1474D as their method for determining sound pressure level (SPL) reduction. The reason for this is likely that the procedures of 1474E are very difficult to practice. You can read 1474E here https://www.arl.army.mil/www/pages/343/MIL-STD-1474E-Final-15Apr2015.pdf

The decibel is a non-linear mathematical relationship to a reference. It’s not a "unit" of measurement. It’s much better suited for use in a scientific equation than for use to convey a concept in normal discussion. Likewise our ability to hear is a not linear with respect to SPL or frequency.

Piling on to that, the question, "What’s the decibel level/reduction?" is an incomplete question. The answer depends on a lot of factors and variables such as barrel length, bullet weight, propellant characteristics, etc. When I’m asked that question, my reply is that our 7" Predator™ Panther has a 31.4dB reduction at 376 Hz on a Colt M4-A1 with a 16" barrel, un-modified gas block, using Federal 55gr .223 FMJ BT ammo against an A2 flash hider as measured from the shooter’s-head-position averaging the first five rounds from a cold bore. If I’m rushed or tired, I’ll just say, "Mid 130’s, depending on who, what, when and where." That seems to satisfy most people.

For internal design and testing purposes, we use a proprietary method to get a signature comprised of SPL/Frequency relationships. Our sound sample is 175 milliseconds long at 192 kHz sampling rate. We perform the FFT at 1/24[SUP]th[/SUP] octave bands and chart from 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

For a given configuration, every silencer/suppressor design has a unique signature. One can look at the graphs produced for two silencers and see that one might have a lower SPL at one particular frequency range, but a higher SPL at another. In short, if a higher SPL reduction is in the dog-whistle range, this might be a less significant consideration than at the 1-2 kHz range.

At this juncture, we feel it disingenuous to publish our numbers with the inference that they comply with 1474D or 1474E. We have developed a method to demonstrate actual silencer sound attenuation performance and offer this as a service to our dealers for their customers. Meanwhile, we’re working on something a bit more intuitive and practical.

Last edited:

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    There are a few reasons we choose not to publish sound pressure level (SPL) reductions for our silencers...

The decibel is a non-linear mathematical relationship to a reference. It’s not a "unit" of measurement. It’s much better suited for use in a scientific equation than for use to convey a concept in normal discussion. Likewise our ability to hear is a not linear with respect to SPL or frequency.

For internal design and testing purposes, we use a proprietary method to get a signature comprised of SPL/Frequency relationships. Our sound sample is 175 milliseconds long at 192 kHz sampling rate. We perform the FFT at 1/24[SUP]th[/SUP] octave bands and chart from 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

We have developed a method to demonstrate actual silencer sound attenuation performance and offer this as a service to our dealers for their customers. Meanwhile, we’re working on something a bit more intuitive and practical.

The engineer in me is loving this reply.
    I see that this is your first post.
    I do hope you stay around.
    I got into a conversation about decibels the other day with someone and when I mentioned that it was a non linear scale based on the human ears nonlinear perception of sound their eyes glazed over.

I find it very interesting that you're trying to establish a better measure of sound dampening. Anything you can share?

I had a bit of a jaunt into noise abatement engineering courtesy of trying to determine compliance with habitability standards in ship board settings and have been a bit of an fan ever since.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I have seen, shot, and handled his suppressors. I also talked with his employee at Shot Show on the plane ride back; they have a very solid product. We will be looking forward to getting some for our inventory at GGW.

RJC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2017
    Lafayette, LA
    TM68,

I thought I'd replied to you earlier but I don't see that entry on the thread, so I'll try again.

I'm not at liberty to discuss ongoing projects. However, my view is that discussions involving decibels are not for polite company nor for anyone who thinks a derivative is the part of your body that holds your pants up.

So, what is a normal person to do if they want to know what a silencer/suppressor* sounds like? Here's a hint; ask this simple question:

"What does this silencer sound like?"

Only three people have ever asked me that question. Two were engineers and one was in kindergarten. I answered each with the same language.

rjc

* The Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide defines the terms "silencer" and "muffler", but not "suppressor". While I claim the right to use the terms silencer and suppressor interchangeably, I generally reserve discussions of mufflers for my mechanic.

The "Guide" also defines "school" and "motor vehicle"...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom