Side charger AR build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    For some time now I have been wanting to build an AR with a side charger upper receiver. The only problem was finding the one I wanted.
    I already have a bunch of ARs and it's not like I need another, but I don't have a side charger or one with an 18" barrel.
    First off I wanted one with a Non-Reciprocating charging handle, but didn't want the end of the charging handle to extend past the back of the receiver when charged.
    I also wanted a dust cover , forward assist and brass deflector. Not asking for much am I?
    Well after some homework and some searching I found four different companies that had what I was looking for. The price ranged from $249 to $299.
    http://shop.masdefense.com/MAS-DEFENSE-AR15-SIDE-CHARGING-HANDLE-BILLET-UPPER-RECEIVER-SCUPR-NRM.ht
    MAS Defence had the best price. I already had account there and have been very satisfied with everything I've ordered from them.
    So I ordered one.
    2yzbtrk.jpg

215is.jpg

About a month ago Primary Arms had a sale on the Vortex 3-9x 59 Crossfire II with the mount , 18" barrel in 223 Wylde 1/8 HBAR rifle gas system and the Troy Medieval flash hider.
    2vd1ab9.jpg

I had a few handrails, but I'm going to go with the 17" rail because I didn't care for for the look of the barrel hanging out of the end of the rail.
    2ajrp1e.jpg

I already had a JoeBob Outfitter's Spartan lower sitting around that I got on sale for $100.
    2dvn9e0.jpg

The upper and lower matched up pretty good.
    eqxgdw.jpg

314qhzk.jpg

I had an AGL A.C.T fire control group and enough lower parts to build the lower but, ordered a set of Strike Industries takedown pins and a black nitride rifle gas tube from Brownell's. My Brownell's order arrived today.
    The upper went together very easy.
    2nqsi07.jpg

2use4c5.jpg

ndodn5.jpg

Here it is all together.
    6eotxg.jpg

And with the scope mounted.
    14tm2b4.jpg

notasheeple

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    OP,

Looks great, and a nice post. How well do these side chargers eliminate gas blowback from where the normal charging handle is? Do you have a pic of the lower/upper fit from the rear?

Good luck w the test shooting.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Looks good, that's what at AR15/16 platform should have evolved to and get rid of that silly charging handle out the rear.

Might want to look into the Robinson XCR, Bushmaster ACR, FN Scar, and Sig 556 and MCX just to name a few, that aren't just side charging but they also all get rid of the buffer tube, allowing for side folding mechanisms.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    OP,

Looks great, and a nice post. How well do these side chargers eliminate gas blowback from where the normal charging handle is? Do you have a pic of the lower/upper fit from the rear?

Good luck w the test shooting.
    I've only fired three round in it for a function check.
    Hopefully I can get to the range soon.
    I also have a new scope mount coming.

Last edited:

CriticalMass

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 1, 2016
    Pearl River, LA
    It looks like they're using a similar spring loaded detent button on the charge handle to the Gibbz. I like the Gibbs but I don't like that theirs doesn't have a dust cover or a brass deflector. I have heard a couple people say that the Gibbz detent won't always hold forward position after cycling the bolt. What's your take on the detent mechanism?

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    That upper looks pretty good! I did one with a LAR grizzly for suppressed 300blk and its been ok but i like the left side charge on that one and looks like a bolt shroud that should keep gas blowback down from getting in your face on that one. Does that cover where a charging handle would go just rotate up so you can remove the bolt?

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    It looks like they're using a similar spring loaded detent button on the charge handle to the Gibbz. I like the Gibbs but I don't like that theirs doesn't have a dust cover or a brass deflector. I have heard a couple people say that the Gibbz detent won't always hold forward position after cycling the bolt. What's your take on the detent mechanism?

I have the Gibbz version and have not had a problem with that detent. You can tighten the set screw behind the detent spring to achieve whatever level of resistance you want. It also deflects brass just fine for me. I really like it. No FA and no dustcover is fine for my use.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    That upper looks pretty good! I did one with a LAR grizzly for suppressed 300blk and its been ok but i like the left side charge on that one and looks like a bolt shroud that should keep gas blowback down from getting in your face on that one. Does that cover where a charging handle would go just rotate up so you can remove the bolt?
    Yes the cover is hinged and rotates out of the way. I have (the Gibbz version) on 8" 300blk with SiCO Omega and had the same idea, but unfortunately the cover does not seal as well as one would hope. It's not horrible but it is noticeable. Need some way to seal that up.

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Yes the cover is hinged and rotates out of the way. I have (the Gibbz version) on 8" 300blk with SiCO Omega and had the same idea, but unfortunately the cover does not seal as well as one would hope. It's not horrible but it is noticeable. Need some way to seal that up.

At the time LAR talked me out of their left side charge saying it wouldn't be pleasant to shoot with a silencer. even with the right sight charge your eyes get pretty watery after 5 or 6 shots until you build up a tolerance to gas in your eyeballs lol.

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Hmm, sounds like a job for an op-rod. No rhyme intended.
    You talking about piston as opposed to direct gas? If so that's what I was thinking too but LAR told me they didn't have good luck with the gas key part holding onto their bcg at the time making it not as reliable. But yeah if they have a reliable set up for piston driven that would be the way to go.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

CriticalMass

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 1, 2016
    Pearl River, LA
    You talking about piston as opposed to direct gas? If so that's what I was thinking too but LAR told me they didn't have good luck with the gas key part holding onto their bcg at the time making it not as reliable. But yeah if they have a reliable set up for piston driven that would be the way to go.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Indeed. Black Rifle Arms has what seems to be the best solution to carrier tilt out there. Their kit is over $300 but if you watch their videos it seems extremely well engineered. Their carrier is monolithic so there's a solid lug in place of the key.

As a bonus, the very existence of a side charger with an op-rod is bound to cause anaphylaxis amongst Eugene Stoner cultists. Now if only one could devise a way to build one in 7.62x39 and marry it to one of those AKM hybrid lowers. There'd probably be mass suicides over that.

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Indeed. Black Rifle Arms has what seems to be the best solution to carrier tilt out there. Their kit is over $300 but if you watch their videos it seems extremely well engineered. Their carrier is monolithic so there's a solid lug in place of the key.

As a bonus, the very existence of a side charger with an op-rod is bound to cause anaphylaxis amongst Eugene Stoner cultists. Now if only one could devise a way to build one in 7.62x39 and marry it to one of those AKM hybrid lowers. There'd probably be mass suicides over that.

LMAO.. and still have the a1 handguard.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    interesting that there's gas blowout problems with suppressed. is that a function of the design of the charging handle? i have zero gas problems with my REPR. granted, i've never fired this specific one suppressed (though i have fired a buddy's 16" with a can on it) and didn't have any issues with gas escaping. can't blow up the pics big enough to get a good look at it but it doesn't seem much -if at all- different from LWRC's design for the charging handle base.

edit: just went back up and blew up one of the top pics. looks like there's no external shield on the charging handle. hmm... might explain where the gas is escaping. guess you could go to an adjustable gas block and shut it off when you slide the can on, but that sorta defeats the purpose. then you've basically got a fancy-looking bolt gun.

Last edited:

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    interesting that there's gas blowout problems with suppressed. is that a function of the design of the charging handle? i have zero gas problems with my REPR. granted, i've never fired this specific one suppressed (though i have fired a buddy's 16" with a can on it) and didn't have any issues with gas escaping. can't blow up the pics big enough to get a good look at it but it doesn't seem much -if at all- different from LWRC's design for the charging handle base.

edit: just went back up and blew up one of the top pics. looks like there's no external shield on the charging handle. hmm... might explain where the gas is escaping. guess you could go to an adjustable gas block and shut it off when you slide the can on, but that sorta defeats the purpose. then you've basically got a fancy-looking bolt gun.

No I don't believe it's an issue with the charging handle. It's the little trapdoor from where the old charging handle was. The REPR has special lower and upper receivers so it's handled differently.
    DSC_0087.JPG

Top Bottom