Looking for concealed carry class on July 1, 2017

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I think the only expectations that I had were that the class would cover what is required by law:

§1311. Handgun Training Requirements
    A. Upon initial application to the department for a permit, all applicants shall demonstrate
    competence with a handgun by any one of the following:
    1. completion of any Department of Public Safety and Corrections approved firearms safety
    or training course which shall include at least a minimum of nine hours of instruction as detailed
    below:

Our class started around 11:30 am and I was out at 6:30, not quite 9 hours.

a. one hour of instruction on handgun nomenclature and safe handling procedures of a
    revolver and semi-automatic pistol;
    If going over the four fundamental safety rules count, that's what we discussed. But it didn't last an hour.

b. one hour of instruction on ammunition knowledge and fundamentals of pistol shooting;
    Never talked about ammo other than about five minutes of joking around talking about how many rounds is enough and how many extra mags you should carry.

c. one hour of instruction on handgun shooting positions; Didn't happen at all.

d. three hours of instruction on the use of deadly force and conflict resolution which shall
    include a review of R.S. 14:18 through 14:22 and which may include a review of any other laws
    relating to the use of deadly force;
    I suppose the handouts that we were given counted towards this. Maybe off and on we talked about things that could also count towards this three hours.
    e. one hour of instruction on child access prevention; Talked about kids for about 30 minutes.
    and
    f. two hours of actual live range fire and proper handgun cleaning procedures: How fast can you shoot 36 rounds at a target at three different distances? Took maybe 20 minutes, tops. Never once talked about cleaning a handgun or safety when cleaning.
    Was never even asked if we could safely and properly field strip our handguns.

i. live range fire shall include at a minimum 12 rounds each at 6 feet, 10 feet and 15 feet
    for a total of 36 rounds; Did this.

ii. each applicant or permittee shall perform at least one safe reload of the handgun at
    each distance; This was done, but I know for sure the instructor did not witness me reload my handgun.

I guess that's all that I expected.

What I didn't expect was receiving a completion certificate with a name and signature of someone different than the name of instructor. I also didn't expect the instructor number to be printed on the certificate incorrectly either.

Sounds like my kinda class "I'm very impatient so fast is good lol". I've never taken a CC class serious at all I just show up for a certificate. To me even if that class was 100% on point it's still a joke.

Now the real question is. At the end of the class did you inform the instructor that you were unsatisfied??

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    Well, there are several camps.
    You have those who want in and out with as little impedance as possible, you got those who really need basic skills training, you have those who want to get what they paid for, and various others. I'm sure there are classes/instructors to meet individusl wants, but actually doing what is required by law seems like the safest way to go.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Well, there are several camps.
    You have those who want in and out with as little impedance as possible, you got those who really need basic skills training, you have those who want to get what they paid for, and various others. I'm sure there are classes/instructors to meet individusl wants, but actually doing what is required by law seems like the safest way to go.

I agree with you. That's why I hope he informed them if he was unsatisfied.

Sitting in a mandatory CC class is like sitting in a DMV nobody wants to be there "except one or two kids that are finally gonna get to drive".

Sitting in a advantage group class is like going to the worlds fair or cracking open a gallon of K&B ice cream everybody's having fun and being energized.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    What I didn't expect was receiving a completion certificate with a name and signature of someone different than the name of instructor. I also didn't expect the instructor number to be printed on the certificate incorrectly either.

You have to watch how it's printed on your certificate. About 8 years ago in a refresher class I took the date was double stamped and you couldn't read it. I didn't notice it and sent it to LSP and they sent all my stuff back and said I had to get another certificate. So I have to chase down the instructor to get another one.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    From what i've found to be common no matter where you go for CCW class. Its not really enough training so to speak to carry. Though there are some that are really good. Thankfully we live in an area with some of the better training groups around (ex Vata or advantage, ETC.). Pick one and go learn from them. A 200 or 400 dollar (if you do a two day course) investment in your own protection.

Been looking into VATA Group and MCTA. Just trying to figure out when I can take some time off of work to schedule some classes. I have never considered the licensing class to be training.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Sounds like my kinda class "I'm very impatient so fast is good lol". I've never taken a CC class serious at all I just show up for a certificate. To me even if that class was 100% on point it's still a joke.

Now the real question is. At the end of the class did you inform the instructor that you were unsatisfied??

I have emailed both the person named on the certificate and also the actual instructor of the class. Have yet to receive a response.

I really didn't expect it to be any type of "training". I knew it would just be some BS class to take your money. I'm ok with that. I just was expecting them to cover what is required. There was a lady in our class that said she never handled a pistol before, only some rifles. You would have thought he would have gone over the parts of a pistol at least with her.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    You have to watch how it's printed on your certificate. About 8 years ago in a refresher class I took the date was double stamped and you couldn't read it. I didn't notice it and sent it to LSP and they sent all my stuff back and said I had to get another certificate. So I have to chase down the instructor to get another one.

I was worried about the instructor number on the certificate not matching the database. The application was accepted though. I guess the employees at the state level just rubber stamp the applications as long as everything is order and you pass the background check.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Received my permit in the mail today. 8 days including the 4th of July holiday.

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Oh my...

Sent from the Bayou Bunker Command Center, Portable Unit #33, FEMA Region 6.

Top Bottom