Questions about handgun possession under age 21

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Hey, y'all. I have a few questions I could use some help with for my girl's little 18 year old brother. He's a good kid and hard worker, but works in some dangerous areas. Being only 18, I know that he can not legally purchase a handgun from an FFL. I also know that he CAN legally own a handgun that is given to him as a gift. Here are my questions:

1. Under 21, can he purchase a handgun from a private party?

2. At 18, can he legally keep a handgun in his vehicle?

3. Is open carry legal for a person who is not 21 years old?

I want him to be able to legally protect and defend himself. But I will only help him out if all of it is legit and not breaking any Louisiana or federal gun laws, or even so much as toeing the line... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and have a great day.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    From the first link:
    >These laws are enforced to the fullest extent, and are crucial in limiting the amount of illegal murders via firearm in the state.<

as opposed to the legal murders via firearm in the state?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks, man. That definitely clears everything up pretty well, except the vehicle question. Not very clear, but I would assume it is completely legal for him to keep a handgun in his vehicle. Thanks for the links. Much appreciated.

That is correct. Just not on US Post Office property, and a few other regulated places. But most places an 18 year old goes, he should be good to go. I'd recommend getting him some proper training before he gets a gun. He should be very proficient in gun safety and what not before carrying.

Hey, y'all. I have a few questions I could use some help with for my girl's little 18 year old brother. He's a good kid and hard worker, but works in some dangerous areas. Being only 18, I know that he can not legally purchase a handgun from an FFL. I also know that he CAN legally own a handgun that is given to him as a gift. Here are my questions:

1. Under 21, can he purchase a handgun from a private party?

2. At 18, can he legally keep a handgun in his vehicle?

3. Is open carry legal for a person who is not 21 years old?

I want him to be able to legally protect and defend himself. But I will only help him out if all of it is legit and not breaking any Louisiana or federal gun laws, or even so much as toeing the line... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and have a great day.

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes it's legal, but open carry is never the smartest idea. If it's his only option, then maybe it's a good idea, but him not going into sketchy area is probably a better first move.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    That is correct. Just not on US Post Office property, and a few other regulated places. But most places an 18 year old goes, he should be good to go. I'd recommend getting him some proper training before he gets a gun. He should be very proficient in gun safety and what not before carrying.

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes it's legal, but open carry is never the smartest idea. If it's his only option, then maybe it's a good idea, but him not going into sketchy area is probably a better first move.

Thanks, Austin. I'm taking him to a basic firearm safety class in a couple of weeks. Also, I completely agree that staying out of sketchy areas is the ideal thing to do, but his job requires him to be on job sites that are in less desirable neighborhoods. He wouldn't be open carrying anywhere off of said sites.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom