Pellet Gun Accuracy?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Have a Gamo pellet gun in .177 that I had bought a couple of years ago and this year with growing tomatoes I've decided to thin out a few of the tomato peckers!

However I've found the accuracy to be less than stellar at 25 yds.

1st shot may be 1'' high on the target and the next 1'' low, This is not acceptable for thinning out the tomato raiders.

Whom makes a accurate one without breaking the bank?

Thanks!

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Google "artillery hold." It makes a huge difference with piston air guns. I've learned practicing makes me a better shot overall too. Next, try diferent pellets. They can be very finnicky. NEVER shoot alloy (PBA) pellets. They are terrible for a host of reasons. Pointed pellets tend to be inconsistent too. If your gun is advertised for 1,100fps or more try a heavier pellet. The pellets go subsonic quickly, that kills accuracy. Finally, piston guns destroy scopes. You can ruin the most expensive scope you can afford if it's not airgun rated. If you're using the scope that came with it, it's junk anyway...

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Budget??

Have you tried pellet testing? That can make a big difference.

I have a Daisy 853 that is very accurate but it is not a powerhouse. 8 grains @ 500 FPS ain't much. It does put holes in paper, which is what it is designed for. I have never used it on game. I know some people claimed it will drop birds. I guess a hit from an 853 is better than a miss from something faster.

I am not a fan of springers and break barrels.

http://www.pyramydair.com/a/BB_guns_and_pellet_guns/BB_and_pellet_rifles/Pellet_rifles/1121
    They have reviews and sort by price.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    i had a czech off brand break barrel .22 that was excellent (my dad reclaimed it!). I shot irons and it was decent out to maybe 50 yards. Birds at 25 yards would be no problem. I like break barrels and irons, as long as the front post is very visible.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    i had a czech off brand break barrel .22 that was excellent (my dad reclaimed it!). I shot irons and it was decent out to maybe 50 yards. Birds at 25 yards would be no problem. I like break barrels and irons, as long as the front post is very visible.

I'm starting to enjoy just sitting on the back patio and just target practice with one considering all the rain we've had lately.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Oh yeah, Ive tried a couple of different pellets, All made by Gamo including the red polymer tipped.

Nail gun may have it. Cheap Gamo scope is what the gun came with, Guess its junk and the trigger pull is like picking up a sack of potatoes with one finger!

Gamo pellets are some of the worst pellets you can try. Even their "match" pellets are highly inconsistent with weight and diameter. Try a tin of the Crosman domed hollow points at Walmart. The lead is hard and they will not mushroom but many folks, including myself, have decent luck with them. Right now my primary rifle has a cheap Winchester branded scope. It's airgun rated and cost only $30 at Acedemy.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Oh yeah, Ive tried a couple of different pellets, All made by Gamo including the red polymer tipped.

Nail gun may have it. Cheap Gamo scope is what the gun came with, Guess its junk and the trigger pull is like picking up a sack of potatoes with one finger!

Nail gun is on it.

Makes total sense, about the scope. I had a friend bring his over and the knobs wouldn't turn on the scope that came with it. He even tried with pliers once he got home. Turns out the knobs were BS and the scope was not adjustable.

I'd bet getting away from Gamo Pellets helps. High velocities are marketing ploys often using very light pellets. So the 1200 FPS drops when using realistic weight pellets.

https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?140133-CMP-Daisy-M853
    I have some pellet test data - not that it would directly apply. Pyramid Air has a lot of reviews on the pellets they sell. So you get a general idea of what a pellet performs like.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Gamo pellets are some of the worst pellets you can try. Even their "match" pellets are highly inconsistent with weight and diameter. Try a tin of the Crosman domed hollow points at Walmart. The lead is hard and they will not mushroom but many folks, including myself, have decent luck with them. Right now my primary rifle has a cheap Winchester branded scope. It's airgun rated and cost only $30 at Acedemy.

Crosman..Humm, I'm going to take your advice and invest in a different brand of pellets and scope, Anything has got to be better than Gamo products, I do have a few Daisy pellets around here, May test these in the morning!

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nail gun is on it.

Makes total sense, about the scope. I had a friend bring his over and the knobs wouldn't turn on the scope that came with it. He even tried with pliers once he got home. Turns out the knobs were BS and the scope was not adjustable.

I'd bet getting away from Gamo Pellets helps. High velocities are marketing ploys often using very light pellets. So the 1200 FPS drops when using realistic weight pellets.

https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?140133-CMP-Daisy-M853
    I have some pellet test data - not that it would directly apply. Pyramid Air has a lot of reviews on the pellets they sell. So you get a general idea of what a pellet perform like in general.

Considering the performance from the Gamo pellets so far, I may just melt them down for soft lead!

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Nailgun is dead on with his advice, and not just the point about the scope. Try JSB pellets in a weight that will stay subsonic in your rifle and the "artillery hold" is crucial. I've made shots out to 75 yards with my FWB 124.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nailgun is dead on with his advice, and not just the point about the scope. Try JSB pellets in a weight that will stay subsonic in your rifle and the "artillery hold" is crucial. I've made shots out to 75 yards with my FWB 124.

Ha, Guess I've been holding the gun wrong, After looking at several you-tube videos I've been gripping this thing like a rifle!

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like I'll be practicing the artillery hold today.

notasheeple

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I've got a Hatsan .22 with a heavy Turkish wood stock. I think the weight along with practice of different pellets has helped identify what to use and produce good accuracy.

I've had my best luck with the pellets with a pointed tip and a red polymer "body". There's no label left on my box so I'm not sure of the brand.

Good luck OP.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I've got a Hatsan .22 with a heavy Turkish wood stock. I think the weight along with practice of different pellets has helped identify what to use and produce good accuracy.

I've had my best luck with the pellets with a pointed tip and a red polymer "body". There's no label left on my box so I'm not sure of the brand.

Good luck OP.

Those are likely Predator Polymags. Gamo makes a knockoff in .177, not sure about .22. I think the OP mebtioned using the Gamo knockoffs. I love the Polymag's accuracy hut man they're expensive! I've lost a few fox squirrels using them though. I think they may mushroom too quickly reducing penetration too much for my guns.

BarneyFife

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    North of BR
    My Gamo is very accurate and consistent with cheaper pellets. The cheaper the pellet, the better it shoots. When I put expensive pellets in it, they start to wonder. Also, be sure to clean and lubricate the barrel. They get dirty quick with the lead.

Top Bottom