jefferson gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Wow, I really feel for you guys. There is no way in heck I would pay that kind of money and have to abide by their restrictions to shoot there. Glad I live out in the country and can shoot on my own property with no restrictions what so ever!

so I built a ar rifle about 6mos ago and still haven't shot it, when can I come dial it in? Lol....

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Wow, I really feel for you guys. There is no way in heck I would pay that kind of money and have to abide by their restrictions to shoot there. Glad I live out in the country and can shoot on my own property with no restrictions what so ever!

While I would LOVE to own some land out in the country... Unfortunately, in the city, we can't just mosey on out to the porch and fire off a couple rounds... well, we COULD... but unless you want to go to jail, it's not recommended.

There's a lot that goes into an indoor range... mostly for safety. The air filtration, ventalation, exhaust and conditioning system alone (to meet Federal Standards) can run upwards of $4 Million dollars (Yeah, MILLION). Most businesses are designed around actually MAKING money... paying staff, maintenance on the lanes, trash bags, maintenance on firearms, electricity, all factor into that.

Thus... $66 to rent a pistol and shoot for an hour.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    so I built a ar rifle about 6mos ago and still haven't shot it, when can I come dial it in? Lol....

You are welcome to come out and shoot. It would however be a 3hr drive for you though.

While I would LOVE to own some land out in the country... Unfortunately, in the city, we can't just mosey on out to the porch and fire off a couple rounds... well, we COULD... but unless you want to go to jail, it's not recommended.

There's a lot that goes into an indoor range... mostly for safety. The air filtration, ventalation, exhaust and conditioning system alone (to meet Federal Standards) can run upwards of $4 Million dollars (Yeah, MILLION). Most businesses are designed around actually MAKING money... paying staff, maintenance on the lanes, trash bags, maintenance on firearms, electricity, all factor into that.

Thus... $66 to rent a pistol and shoot for an hour.
    I hear you on that and am not against someone making a profit to recoup their expenses. The nearest indoor range to me that is about 45 minutes away has really good prices. Especially when you take in the fact that the rates are for 4hr sessions!

"Walk-in Rate (Maximum 4 hours per visit)

- Non-member rate is $20 per visit for the pistol range.
    - Non-member rate is $30 per hour for the rifle range.
    - Shared lane is $14.75 for the second person.
    - Law Enforcement/Firemen/EMS/Active Military rates are $15 per visit. Valid work ID card required.
    Gun Rentals

- Hand gun rentals are available for $11 per gun.
    - Machine gun rentals are available to qualified persons at the rate of $25 per gun for standard machine guns
    - Suppressed and other weapons are available to qualified persons at the rate of $50 per gun.
    - Our ammunition MUST be used in ALL rentals guns and renters will be accompanied by a sales associate at ALL times."

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    You are welcome to come out and shoot. It would however be a 3hr drive for you though.

I hear you on that and am not against someone making a profit to recoup their expenses. The nearest indoor range to me that is about 45 minutes away has really good prices. Especially when you take in the fact that the rates are for 4hr sessions!

"Walk-in Rate (Maximum 4 hours per visit)

- Non-member rate is $20 per visit for the pistol range.
    - Non-member rate is $30 per hour for the rifle range.
    - Shared lane is $14.75 for the second person.
    - Law Enforcement/Firemen/EMS/Active Military rates are $15 per visit. Valid work ID card required.
    Gun Rentals

- Hand gun rentals are available for $11 per gun.
    - Machine gun rentals are available to qualified persons at the rate of $25 per gun for standard machine guns
    - Suppressed and other weapons are available to qualified persons at the rate of $50 per gun.
    - Our ammunition MUST be used in ALL rentals guns and renters will be accompanied by a sales associate at ALL times."

Nice! Jefferson Indoor has Rifles and Full Auto for rent in packages (they are all inclusive packages though, include safety equipment, targets, ammo, etc.). They also have "handgun Packages" that include THREE handguns, ammo, etc. for one price.

They focus on their memberships... which is an initial fee and then a small monthly fee... but for example, their Gold membership is only $2/hr. for range time... so you save $20.50... its also only $2 for an addition shooter (normally $9.50/hr). So if you go twice a month, the membership pays for itself!

Its a little different though, aside from the freebies when you sign up, its a subscription that you can cancel anytime you want. It's definitely better to do the membership.

They supposedly have some new changes coming soon as well.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Membership rates for Barney's Indoor Range of which I am referring to:
    [h=4]Barney's Police Supplies - Lafayette
    Indoor Range & Training Facility

218 Four Park Rd.
    Lafayette, La. 70507
    337-896-3667
    [/h]

[h=2]"Range Memberships[/h]
    [h=3]Gold Membership: $325[/h] - Receive 10% discount on purchases of ammunition and selected range products.
    - No range fees for member.
    - Ability to reserve a lane. (Will hold for 15 minutes past time. Some blackout times may apply.)
    - Guest charged at half the current non-member rate. One guest per visit. (Must accompany member and share the lane).
    - Immediate family member at no charge (Must accompany member and share the lane).
    - Personal training discounts.
    [h=3]Standard Membership: $150[/h] - No range fees for 1 year from the time you enroll.
    - Receive 5% discount on purchases of ammunition and selected range products.
    [h=3]Spouse Member Card: $50[/h] - Gold and Standard membership holders may purchase an additional membership card for a spouse.
    - Lifetime Member Family Cards are renewable annually.
    - Must be at least 18 years of age, living in the same house as membership holder.
    [h=3]Child Member Card: $30[/h] - Child must be 17 or under and accompanied by member at ALL times.
    - Child MUST live in the same home as the parent."

Sig66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2016
    NOLA Westbank
    rec.jpg

Any idea of the cost break down?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    That looks about right showing up with nothing.
    I am a cheap SOB!
    I have a Range bag with ammo in it. That ammo cost is low. Re-used brass I have had forever. Marked at base with marker so I know what is mine. That way it is fair to range and I when I pick up brass.
    Just used my 18 buck a 1000 Primers up this week. Now just have the 20 bucks ones.
    Powder had 2 kegs free of Old Red Dot not clean but not dirty but works well. Free tire weights and my time to cast. Lube at a buck fifty a stick
    Targets from American in bulk as my wife and son likes reduced B27 and I like 50 foot slow fire.
    Have eyes and ears but not just to save $ I would not want to wear some after who knows who.
    Range time at $22.50 is not bad! For a well lighted, Clean, well Ventilated, Safe place! I have been shot in the leg at a range! And if you went 3-4 times a month, it would be better to join like the member says who works there.
    My only problem is that you have to shoot their rifles? I can see their rifle ammo only to control that 100%. But rifle?
    Maybe I am missing something, but no one ever accused me of being smart! Their range their rules so can not argue that
    They have always been nice, and keep the riff raft out so that's a plus.
    I loved the 4 lanes at David Drive as hardly anyone shot there and went to the big range.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    That looks about right showing up with nothing.
    My only problem is that you have to shoot their rifles? I can see their rifle ammo only to control that 100%. But rifle?
    Maybe I am missing something, but no one ever accused me of being smart!

There are a number of reasons the rifles are limited to just the rifles available for rent (though they are trying to work on something with the memberships that could possibly allow for specific member levels to bring in specific rifles only).

Here are some of the reasons...

1. Ammo regulation. Just because you purchase their ammo doesn't mean you actually are using it in the firearm. They don't have someone standing over you watching you load the rifle. This problem has surfaced with Judge Revolvers shooting 410 rounds in the range.
    2. Safety. A range officer needs to oversee all rifle packages. They simply do not have the manpower to supply a range officer to all 14 lanes when rifles are in use.
    3. Future "features" are in the works. I believe they are also working on a "Sight-In" package. Where, again with specific firearms, they may allow the purchase of magazines with specific round counts in order to allow members to sight-in rifles.
    4. The back-stop is monitored and inspected regularly. Damage from rifle rounds is significant in comparison to Handgun Rounds. This is mitigated by not allowing just anyone to come in with any rifle and put rounds down range.
    4. It's 25 yards. Most have trouble sighting in at that distance for the distance they are actually wanting. Another service may be that the range officers sight in the rifle for you. Again, just proposed ideas at this point.
    5. Range Programs. Specific firearms manufacturers provide rifles for ranges through a range program. They are working on additional programs to provide firearms that aren't so expensive to maintain.

Remember, the range is new-ish. It's only been open for going on two years. There are still bugs to be worked out, and you need to crawl before you can walk. Additional features are always being discussed. Rest assured, when the time comes, new features will be announced.

Safety is always a priority... for the customers and the staff.

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Wow!
    Makes me super grateful for FRC in BR.
    Allowed to shoot my AR and 20ga...
    Allowed to do holster work.
    Allowed to go dark (lights out) if no one is on the line.
    Allowed to go downrange and practice moving/shooting drills (if no one else is on the line).
    Allowed to practice rifle (with sling) to pistol transitions. ...

And all for $400 a year.
    Bring my own (reloads) ammo (cheap ammo costs)
    Bring my own targets ($0.60/each).
    I go about 10-12 times a month...that's about $2.77 per visit range fee...
    Think I'm winning on that deal ;)

I understand charging what they need to charge, and if the supply/demand is where it justifies that, then I don't blame them at all...just glad I have FRC so close to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Wow!
    Makes me super grateful for FRC in BR.
    Allowed to shoot my AR and 20ga...
    Allowed to do holster work.
    Allowed to go dark (lights out) if no one is on the line.
    Allowed to go downrange and practice moving/shooting drills (if no one else is on the line).
    Allowed to practice rifle (with sling) to pistol transitions. ...

And all for $400 a year.
    Bring my own (reloads) ammo (cheap ammo costs)
    Bring my own targets ($0.60/each).
    I go about 10-12 times a month...that's about $2.77 per visit range fee...
    Think I'm winning on that deal ;)

I understand charging what they need to charge, and if the supply/demand is where it justifies that, then I don't blame them at all...just glad I have FRC so close to me...

FRC is a great facility.

Just in response...

Allowed to shoot my AR and 20ga -- see above.
    Allowed to do holster work. -- there have been some issues with this, so for safety, drawing from the holster isn't allowed (lessons learned).
    Allowed to go dark (lights out) if no one is on the line. -- There are actually concessions for this in the works as well... also including fog and ultraviolet lights.
    Allowed to go downrange and practice moving/shooting drills (if no one else is on the line). -- This would more than likely not be allowed due to lead exposure and safety.
    Allowed to practice rifle (with sling) to pistol transitions. -- Same as holster above.

Bring my own (reloads) ammo (cheap ammo costs) -- Reloads are allowed.
    Bring my own targets ($0.60/each). -- Your own targets are allowed (minimum of 12x12 size).

Not everyone has the experience and capability to properly execute certain drills safely... and since no one is issued a "SAFE TO BE TACTICAL" certificate, there's no way to police that. Do you know how many geared up "operators" they would have in the lanes if they just allowed anything? lol

This is also why the target size is limited... you'd have shooters trying to bullseye index cards at 25 yards chewing up the ceiling and walls and everything else. Lane maintenance is expensive when shooters sheer bolt heads and cables while attempting to "train". How the shuttle gets so shot up is beyond me.

I guess TECHNICALLY it could ALL be written off as "Hey, you signed the waiver!".

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    That makes sense. I can not see how rifle inside at a shot range would be fun. Just to check function. Or see how that gun shoots before buying said type.
    Ideally a trip out of town to an outside range is key. As stated some idiot will come in and sneak in steel core and ruin it for everyone. So no outside ammo! Thus no shooting a few who are looking at it from a stand point of load development.
    And ya can not look after everyone. Years ago I had to narc on a guy who came in with a gun bought a box of ammo.
    Gets the ammo out hangs the box and shoots at the box hitting the carrier
    The list goes on

Last edited:

toddmtnbkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    FRC is a great facility.

Just in response...

Allowed to shoot my AR and 20ga -- see above.
    Allowed to do holster work. -- there have been some issues with this, so for safety, drawing from the holster isn't allowed (lessons learned).
    Allowed to go dark (lights out) if no one is on the line. -- There are actually concessions for this in the works as well... also including fog and ultraviolet lights.
    Allowed to go downrange and practice moving/shooting drills (if no one else is on the line). -- This would more than likely not be allowed due to lead exposure and safety.
    Allowed to practice rifle (with sling) to pistol transitions. -- Same as holster above.

Bring my own (reloads) ammo (cheap ammo costs) -- Reloads are allowed.
    Bring my own targets ($0.60/each). -- Your own targets are allowed (minimum of 12x12 size).

Not everyone has the experience and capability to properly execute certain drills safely... and since no one is issued a "SAFE TO BE TACTICAL" certificate, there's no way to police that. Do you know how many geared up "operators" they would have in the lanes if they just allowed anything? lol

This is also why the target size is limited... you'd have shooters trying to bullseye index cards at 25 yards chewing up the ceiling and walls and everything else. Lane maintenance is expensive when shooters sheer bolt heads and cables while attempting to "train". How the shuttle gets so shot up is beyond me.

I guess TECHNICALLY it could ALL be written off as "Hey, you signed the waiver!".

Thx for the clarifications.

And yes, it took a significant amount of times at the range for RSO to allow me to practice certain things (after watching and understating my trigger finger and muzzle direction control), which aren't allowed for everyone on the line...including double taps etc.

Looks like a nice range, would love to make it down there sometime to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've been to many of the indoor ranges and honestly, so long as I'm allowed to throw lead downrange. I'm happy. Yea some don't allow rifles or full auto, oh well, I don't want to shoot rifles within 25 yards anyways and I know which locations those are so I don't pack those guns with me. I will say I've shot full auto at a few ranges that allow it, and the RO's have been nothing but nice. And I've seen the collection of full auto's that Jefferson gun will be renting and let me tell you, you will not be disappointed. They have some serious equiptment.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My thoughts>
    The buy in to join Jefferson Gun may be good $, But that goes into Staff, Maintenance, keeping it clean
    Staff looking out for safety, I rather have to much than not enough.
    Ventilation. I have stage 3 cancer {in remission} So nice clean place,that is not hot, and has ventilation to get the smoke out and clean is great!
    Cost of targets is what it is. Same anyplace ya go. They gotta make money!
    That said we like to shoot what we like! So I order 500 reduced B27 for the wife, and I shoot some too. And order a box of 1000 50 foot slow fire NRA.
    I Bring *Eyes ans Ears* as I would not wear something someone else has. Maybe I am just funny? They have some there for rental and clean them. But I know how mine are cleaned and the cost is free!
    Ammo Cost same as Targets What they are worth! They gotta make money, if they can. I can not blame them!
    I shoot Target loads, as have bad shoulder1 And since they let ya bring in safe reloads. That is what I do.
    I am just looking for clean and maintained and safe, well lighted to shot pistols. It has all that and more.
    As a kid I was shot in the leg at an indoor range! Something ya never forget! As the staff, let some idiot do something stupid, and never rode heard on them1 So was an idiot Free for All.
    So knowing they have staff that keeps everything in check is one of the best things about the place.
    It checks off 99% of the boxes for me

Last edited:

extra300

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Metairie
    There are a number of reasons the rifles are limited to just the rifles available for rent (though they are trying to work on something with the memberships that could possibly allow for specific member levels to bring in specific rifles only).

Here are some of the reasons...

1. Ammo regulation. Just because you purchase their ammo doesn't mean you actually are using it in the firearm. They don't have someone standing over you watching you load the rifle. This problem has surfaced with Judge Revolvers shooting 410 rounds in the range.
    2. Safety. A range officer needs to oversee all rifle packages. They simply do not have the manpower to supply a range officer to all 14 lanes when rifles are in use.
    3. Future "features" are in the works. I believe they are also working on a "Sight-In" package. Where, again with specific firearms, they may allow the purchase of magazines with specific round counts in order to allow members to sight-in rifles.
    4. The back-stop is monitored and inspected regularly. Damage from rifle rounds is significant in comparison to Handgun Rounds. This is mitigated by not allowing just anyone to come in with any rifle and put rounds down range.
    4. It's 25 yards. Most have trouble sighting in at that distance for the distance they are actually wanting. Another service may be that the range officers sight in the rifle for you. Again, just proposed ideas at this point.
    5. Range Programs. Specific firearms manufacturers provide rifles for ranges through a range program. They are working on additional programs to provide firearms that aren't so expensive to maintain.

Remember, the range is new-ish. It's only been open for going on two years. There are still bugs to be worked out, and you need to crawl before you can walk. Additional features are always being discussed. Rest assured, when the time comes, new features will be announced.

Safety is always a priority... for the customers and the staff.

Last Friday I shot my handgun there and I can say the facility is clean and employees were helpful. I inquired about bringing my Ar15 the following day and was told they were not allowed. Sadly I was no longer interested in purchasing the yearly membership.....I'm only 10 minutes away! Why not charge an additional fee, say $5.00 more per visit or per rifle you bring in there? I would gladly pay extra to cover any additional expenses the range may incur from using such rifle/ammo. Given the number of ar15's out there, our hot summers, being indoors to sight in your rifle or to just shoot is a win in my book. I'm glad to hear the indoor range in Arabi allows Ar15 rifles. I will make a trip over there tomorrow.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Last Friday I shot my handgun there and I can say the facility is clean and employees were helpful. I inquired about bringing my Ar15 the following day and was told they were not allowed. Sadly I was no longer interested in purchasing the yearly membership.....I'm only 10 minutes away! Why not charge an additional fee, say $5.00 more per visit or per rifle you bring in there? I would gladly pay extra to cover any additional expenses the range may incur from using such rifle/ammo. Given the number of ar15's out there, our hot summers, being indoors to sight in your rifle or to just shoot is a win in my book. I'm glad to hear the indoor range in Arabi allows Ar15 rifles. I will make a trip over there tomorrow.

I would imagine the no rifles has probably to do with the back stop andnwhat it's rated for along with other parts of the building (including roof). Look up next time you go to the range and see how many holes you see in the ceiling. Now imagine if someone is shooting 7.62 (any of them) how many is the roof rated at? Also could be for insurance liabilities also, maybe higher insurance cost associated with the increased chance of a round exiting the building or backsplash. I personally am not a fan of shooting my rifles indoors, none the less inside of 25 yards. Just wish there were more ranges that allowed rifles at 100 yard plus, indoor or outdoor.

Btw at St. Bernard indoor, there's a charge for every round that you don't fire within a set sized box.

Brother goes to a range outside of Dallas that has 100 yard indoor rifles lanes on top of the 25 yard pistol lanes.

Last edited:

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    No more set sized box at St. Bernard Indoor for rifles. They have upgraded the backstop on 6 lanes. There is a charge if you put holes in the carrier or ceiling however. Shouldn't be a problem if you can control your firearm, but there are people putting holes in the carrier nevertheless.

Top Bottom