Brain eating amoebas in N La water supplies

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    No worries, those amoebas typically starve to death when they get stuck in the Terrebonne system.

(shots fired)

On a serious note, iirc, the reasons they have become common is that they are getting harder to kill.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    No worries, those amoebas typically starve to death when they get stuck in the Terrebonne system.

(shots fired)

On a serious note, iirc, the reasons they have become common is that they are getting harder to kill.

Yes, I think the reasons stated were because they are developing a resistance to the treatments used to kill them off. I guess something like virus and bacteria do at times.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    More likely because the water treatment plants aren't treating the water correctly. Fluoride cost money!

I do believe that fluoride is added to water to help prevent tooth decay. Chlorine is added to kill micro organisms.

The brain eating amoeba was found in the West Ascension Parish water system last summer as well as in North Louisiana. I have property in North Louisiana and am friends with the management of the local water system there. Last year they had to add so much chlorine to the water that it would bleach your laundry when you washed.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    I do believe that fluoride is added to water to help prevent tooth decay. Chlorine is added to kill micro organisms.

The brain eating amoeba was found in the West Ascension Parish water system last summer as well as in North Louisiana. I have property in North Louisiana and am friends with the management of the local water system there. Last year they had to add so much chlorine to the water that it would bleach your laundry when you washed.

I specialize in water treatment. You are correct that fluoride is added to prevent tooth decay, but not every system does it and its effectiveness can be debated. Chlorine is added to kill micro organisms - specifically, bacteria and viruses.

Here is the problem as it relates to the amoeba....when chlorine is added to water it reacts with many thing prior to being able to kill the bacteria and viruses. One of those things that it reacts with is organic material that is naturally in the water. The chlorine and organic combination forms carcinogens that are generically referred to as disinfection byproducts (DBPs). In 2004 or thereabouts, the federal standard (limit) for DBPs was lowered considerably, and new DBPs were also added to the list. In order to comply with the new standards, many water systems were faced with a choice: reduce the organic materials prior to chlorination or rely on chloramines for disinfection.

Chloramines are formed by a reaction between chlorine and ammonia. Chloramines, when properly monitored and controlled, can be highly effective disinfection agents. However, systems don't always do the monitoring /control correctly or they don't have the personnel to do it. What ends up happening is that there ends up being too much ammonia (or other nitrogen source) added to the water. As a result, a non-harmful biological film develops inside the pipeline. In simple terms (but not exactly), this film serves as a food source for the amoeba while they are in the pipe. Therefore, they survive and obviously then can make it into our homes and in our plumbing, etc. Those little critters have been in our waters for God knows how long; but they never survived because there wasn't enough "food" in the water distribution systems in years prior.

Ultimately the only way to get rid on them once embedded in the biofilm is to do a "chlorine burn", which is where they dose the water with high levels of pure chlorine, which will kill the biofilm and the amoeba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Terrebonne Parish is not a north LA parish! Did you fail geography in school?

Well when I was in school La parish geography was not a requirement as it was not in this state. When I read the article I knew that Ouchita was north La and assumed that Terrebonne parish was close to it so my bad.

Top Bottom