Primary Arms Advanced 30mm Red Dot Initial Impressions (pic heavy post)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I recently picked up a couple of red dots to check out and I wanted to share my initial impressions. I wanted to replace an EOTech 512 on an AR pistol set up for home defense and as a possible replacement for another EOTech 512 on a duty rifle build. Being former military and having trained on the AR platform using iron sights for so long, I wanted an absolute cowitness sight. I’ve read all the pros and cons to the absolute cowitness and 1/3 cowitness. In the end, my choice is absolute.

Because I was picking up a micro dot, I wanted to also pick up a tube. After a bit of searching, I ended up picking up the Primary Arms Advanced 30mm Red Dot for $130. I also picked up a Vortex 30mm cowitness mount for $30.

ozmNfYv.jpg

0IW5dB2.jpg

TMbJyb1.jpg

r09U6dQ.jpg

6ABzTO8.jpg

lBlrepZ.jpg

It takes a 1/3 N battery rated for 14,000 hours.
    AmPBuTy.jpg

There is a 0 at the top and the bottom of the brightness. The sight can be turned off in either direction.
    YMrimTw.jpg

One of the first things I noticed was a bluish tint.
    mX5KGe6.jpg

ojjVZws.jpg

wq8PpDV.jpg

The goal was to put this on a duty rifle and replace the EOTech with something with a little longer battery life.
    3GOHYHy.jpg

ksKVEmp.jpg

TBotD1T.jpg

The sight has front a rear flip covers. Clear ones or yellow ones would have been a better choice as they could be used in a pinch if necessary.
    kRfrmnq.jpg

Lowest brightness.
    nkDHZbT.jpg

A3IeUXs.jpg

hnqPR7c.jpg

Highest brightness. Note the outer ring at the highest setting.
    N94JBZF.jpg

Ec0P9Qt.jpg

I had set the caps to flip down and to the right to try to keep then out of the way when opened.
    tf5Z36V.jpg

I think this red dot will find its way to my daughter’s dedicated CMMG 22LR AR. For now, my duty rifle will keep the EOTech. Or a may pick up a second Romeo5 and add a quick disconnect mount.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My friend has gone through a couple of those comp m3 clones, for some reason the "switch" eventually loses contact, and ends up either flickering or not turning on.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My friend has gone through a couple of those comp m3 clones, for some reason the "switch" eventually loses contact, and ends up either flickering or not turning on.

It was "only" $130 so it's not the end of the world. Hopefully, if the internals turn out to be not so good, putting it on a dedicated .22 lr will extend its life.

Top Bottom