Looking for gunsmith

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Droladnap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2017
    Covington
    Hey, guys I just bought my first Remington 700 and would like to have the action blueprinted and the barrel threaded does anyone know a good gunsmith in the St.Tammany or Baton Rouge area?

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You can't true the action without replacing the barrel as the internal action threads are cut oversize

This is true. It's really not worth doing a blueprint on a Rem 700 without changing the barrel. I have done many and have found a few that were only a few +-0.005" out, but I have worked with some that were 0.035" out just on the barrel runout. The lug to bolt fit is only a small part of the blueprinting that has to take place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Three and a half thousandths?? Now that's what I call quality control. Good job Remington.

It's not really quality control when an action comes off the line the next day at .035" out of square. Usually the best cut actions are right after they change out the tooling. Sharp = accurate cuts. Like Jake said I've seen some that were damn near perfect and others that I've had to chase the threads open almost .020" to get it round. When I was truing actions it was cut with half a thousandth of runout over 6 inches.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    0.0005" run out in 6"is where I strive to get them. Even if the action was within 3 thousandths and you could re-use the barrel it wouldn't serve any purpose for accuracy's sake because there's no telling how far off the chamber is and how much runout is in the barrel from chamber throat to the muzzle. There are many variables that constitute accuracy. Removing the variables is where you can produce repeatability. Repeatable = Accuracy .

Droladnap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2017
    Covington
    What would you recommend having done to make a Remington 700 long range .300 win mag be the most accurate?

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    What would you recommend having done to make a Remington 700 long range .300 win mag be the most accurate?

The first question I would have would be. What is the intended purpose for the rifle? Hunting? Putting holes in paper @1000 yds? Tactical competition? There are specific applications for each. A hole punch doesn't need to be light, a hunting/pack gun doesn't need to be 1/4 moa @100, a tactical comp gun can be a hybrid of the 2 but needs to adjust to certain rules. See where I'm going with this.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA

Sell it and build exactually what fits your need on a custom action.
    By the time you rework over Remington action, you could buy a custom for a couple extra hundred.

Droladnap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2017
    Covington
    It may not be a perfect rifle but it still gets 1 moa and has a really nice bell and Carlson stock and I only spent $435 on it I was just hoping to get some work done to make it sub MOA but if it's not worth it I'll just keep the rifle as is I got it for long range paper punching.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    It may not be a perfect rifle but it still gets 1 moa and has a really nice bell and Carlson stock and I only spent $435 on it I was just hoping to get some work done to make it sub MOA but if it's not worth it I'll just keep the rifle as is I got it for long range paper punching.

I wasn't trying to insult your intended use. I have several that are intended for punching holes only, but I built them for that purpose. They are too heavy for me to even think of bringing on an elk hunt where I'm going to be packing in all day. I was just trying to convey that for the money there are some better options. One being a better trigger, another being glass bedding the action to stock fit. If you're just trying to tighten up your group at 100 to 400 yds. Just these minor changes can add up to really consistent groups. (You might already be doing this but) hand loading for your rifle can do wonders for tighter groups as well.
    What I always tell clients that want to blueprint a 700 without changing the barrel is that you can spend that $ on other things that will give you better results and shoot the rifle until the barrel is no longer any good, and then we can do a blueprint job when we swap the barrel. This way you haven't invested a large amount of $ that may or may not give you any results. I can just about guarantee you will see better groups with a bedding job and trigger change.
    If you want to talk and discuss options on anything feel free to call at (225)244-1686. I just don't like to see someone possibly not get results in something that shouldn't be a stressful thing, and spending several hundreds of dollars and not seeing any results sounds stressful to me.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

Just some helpful tips with this crowd. Don't use subjective adjectives when talking about precision. "really nice", "worth it", and "long range" mean something completely different to you than it does to Mickey. To make that 700 "most accurate" you're probably looking at $3500-4000 in parts and labor from a reputable gun smith. Whether you'd be able to see the difference would depend entirely on your skill and load development.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    For a muzzle brake try WITT machine. I put one of their brakes on my 35 Whelen and it was remarkable. Much less recoil but u need ear muffs always to shoot.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Just some helpful tips with this crowd. Don't use subjective adjectives when talking about precision. "really nice", "worth it", and "long range" mean something completely different to you than it does to Mickey. To make that 700 "most accurate" you're probably looking at $3500-4000 in parts and labor from a reputable gun smith. Whether you'd be able to see the difference would depend entirely on your skill and load development.

+1 on what Ted said.

To elaborate more on my suggestion, say the remmy action is $350. Another $250 to true it. So that's $600 in the action.
    If the bolt is wonky and need to be replaced with a ptg that would be another what, say $200? So that could turn it into $800 to hot rod the Remington action.

A stiller tac300 can be bought for $1000, and that comes with the 20moa rail. In my opinion, I would be the better choice to spend the extra $$$ and build off the stiller. If you like your stock, keep your stock to drop the stiller barreled action in and sell the remmy barreled action.

Droladnap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2017
    Covington
    I'm going to try the Witt break if that helps I'll keep the rifle if not the stiller tac300 is something I'll be looking into.

Top Bottom