Anyone Use La State Police as Form 1 CLEO Notification Lately?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bestiller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    It's been about 8 years since I've submitted a Form 1 for SBR and I'm a little confused. I have a Form 1 ready to submit. The LSP website is confusing and full of old outdated info. My question is, if you use LSP as CLEO notification vs local, are you required to have a CCL in Louisiana?

bestiller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    I would prefer to send the form to an agency that actually knows what they're receiving. When I submitted my last Form 1 when a signature was still required, it was a fiasco of sorts, he didn't know WTH I was asking for, and had to consult other authorities but suspiciously signed insinuating he was "going out on a limb". I'd just rather avoid the same kind of circus this time.

bestiller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    rcm192, that's what I figured as well....lol. Do you have a CCL?

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    My local LEO agency knows what they are doing and they also know me personally. I would not and will not send any forms to LSP who do not know me and in my opinion dont give a rats butt if the paper work gets approved or not!

bestiller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    A Trust used to be the way to go but now with 41f mandating all members of the trust having to submit photos and fingerprints it's more arduous than individual IMO.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Now that the rules have changed, does anyone know what the various police agencies actually do with the NFA forms they receive? AFAIK there is no standard or rule, and they can keep them in a desk drawer, throw them away, stick'em where the sun don't shine, shred them, it doesn't matter. Your personal information may or may not be secured at all.
    Personally, since my local law enforcement is a bit more liberal (and given that they confiscated guns during Katrina), I'd guess that those records would be safer with LSP, but I really don't know.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    Is it required to have by LSP to use them as your CLEO notification?

As I understand it, no. They did have a policy to certify CHP holders' applications automatically which was great. But now that their certification is not required, I believe you could send it to anyone who qualifies as your CLEO. You don't even have to wait for their reply.

bestiller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    As I understand it, no. They did have a policy to certify CHP holders' applications automatically which was great. But now that their certification is not required, I believe you could send it to anyone who qualifies as your CLEO. You don't even have to wait for their reply.

You are 100% correct in that no action is required on their (LSP) part, it's simply a notification. What I'm unsure about is d/t their website being full of old info, is are you required to have a CCL in order to "notify" them and where in the heck do you send it. I've just called LSP and have been forwarded to 3 different departments none of which knew what I was talking about. Silencer Shop uses LSP for their notifications as I understand it and apparently just send it to LSP HQ on Independence Blvd in BR. I just called HQ and they didn't know what I was talking about....lol

bestiller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Ok! I got some answers. The unit to talk to is the CCL division. A CCL is NOT required to submit notification and address to send to is PO BOX 66375 BR 70896 for anyone wanting to know. It's not an easy department to reach, constantly busy and long automated menu to get to a live person.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    We send all of our CLEO notifications to LSP, they provided the following address when we asked where they wanted them mailed:

Louisiana State Police
    Concealed Handgun Permit Unit
    7919 Independence Blvd.
    Baton Rouge, LA 70806

We used to send them to EBRSO since they are technically "our" CLEO, but after 41F and having people from different cities/states on the forms we started sending them to LSP as it seemed more appropriate.

bestiller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Now that the rules have changed, does anyone know what the various police agencies actually do with the NFA forms they receive? AFAIK there is no standard or rule, and they can keep them in a desk drawer, throw them away, stick'em where the sun don't shine, shred them, it doesn't matter. Your personal information may or may not be secured at all.
    Personally, since my local law enforcement is a bit more liberal (and given that they confiscated guns during Katrina), I'd guess that those records would be safer with LSP, but I really don't know.

They are supposed to be "filed" by CLEO, according to my LGS dealer. Good luck on that...lol. If ATF shows up at local CLEO and wants to audit notifications, I wonder what the implications would be on the NFA owner if LE tossed it and can't produce it? Idk why someone would go through the trouble and expenses of registration to avoid the easiest step in the process.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    My last form 4 last month bought from interstate in Hammond went here for LEO notification
    55c423783cf05e68dbb6dd2d32d30dad.png

Top Bottom