how do you get rid of a suppressor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I don't own a suppressor at this time but this question just popped in my head while browsing the classifieds. How do you sell a silencer that you no longer want? I know, sounds crazy, huh? Why would you NOT want a suppressor? Could be for a number of reasons. But let's just suppose you pass on and your survivors are left with your suppressor that they don't want. Whether it's in a trust or in your own name, how can they legally sell it?

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    You can sell directly to another resident of LA. Just post it up and fill out a form 4. I purchased one directly from a forum member a couple of years ago. If it is registered to an individual it can either be transferred to a direct heir via form 5 (tax free) then to the buyer or once the succession is done you can sell it with the judgement papers showing that you are in control of the asset. If it a trust it's easier. The grantor/settler can sell the item.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    You can sell directly to another resident of LA. Just post it up and fill out a form 4. I purchased one directly from a forum member a couple of years ago. If it is registered to an individual it can either be transferred to a direct heir via form 5 (tax free) then to the buyer or once the succession is done you can sell it with the judgement papers showing that you are in control of the asset. If it a trust it's easier. The grantor/settler can sell the item.

This is good info! Thanks.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Don't forget that if you sell it the buyer still has to file the form 4 and wait for approval from ATF before they can take possession of it.

bestiller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Don't forget that if you sell it the buyer still has to file the form 4 and wait for approval from ATF before they can take possession of it.

I was waiting for someone to post this. NFA items are a PITA to sell, because very few people want to drop a grand or 5k or 10k for something they can't get for a year.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA

Not trying to be nit-picky, but just to clarify, it is the seller's responsibility to file the Form 4 and Responsible Person Questionnaire(s).

I bring this up because I have had a number of my trust clients contact me recently and report that certain dealers are telling them that the buyer is responsible for submitting the paperwork to the ATF. Bad information and bad business.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Not trying to be nit-picky, but just to clarify, it is the seller's responsibility to file the Form 4 and Responsible Person Questionnaire(s).

I bring this up because I have had a number of my trust clients contact me recently and report that certain dealers are telling them that the buyer is responsible for submitting the paperwork to the ATF. Bad information and bad business.

Agreed. The Transferor is the party that should be submitting the paperwork to the ATF. Where that dealer may be getting confused is under the wording in the RP form it is the RP's responsibility to submit a copy of the RP form to the CLEO. However, any knowledgeable dealer should be sending these forms into the CLEO on behalf of the client.

The last thing I want to do is hand any paperwork to my client for submission. First, it's just not good customer service. Second, if they don't send it in it reflects poorly on my company. We often handle the paperwork for Form 4 sales between two Louisiana persons or entities. Other than signing the forms, no one touches anything but us. We send in the Form 4 and the RP forms to the ATF and CLEOs and the tax stamp is charged to our account. If we are involved we want total control. I can't imagine any FFL not feeling the same way, but it takes all kinds.

Still enjoying the table you built for us Joseph. It has a lot of scars now but they just give it character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom