MCTA Range in Mississippi

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Anyone have a review on this range? I have been looking at it online and it seems interesting. $300/year for 24/7 access seems like a no brainer.
    What do you like about it? What don't you like about it?

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I have gone there often and recommend it 100%. I don't have a membership yet only because I have not had $300 to drop on it. The only downside is on the weekends it can get kind of crowded. Also if there has been a lot of rain it gets kind of soupy but that doesn't bother me. Great conditions for testing gear! I have talked with the owners extensively, Mike and Tom are both great guys. Tom is also a class 3 FFL and manufacturer of all kinds of goodies, ah-la suppressors and select fire SBRs, and he regularly brings some of them when he is there. Supply the ammo and you can shoot them. Awesome place.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    It's a little primitive, bring a cooler of chilled water, maybe some toilet paper for the porta potties. Beyond that, two rifle ranges, 100 and 200 yds, they have a few steel targets to hit, benches for shooting, several pistol ranges with dueling plates which are fun. It's very sandy so it drains well, even after a heavy rain. Cost is $10/day. Open to the public on weekends, it can get a bit crowded at times (more than two shooters is crowded to me).

Yeah, I've been there a lot.

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    It's a great place. Owners are top notch instructors if you want classes. If many people support the place, I can see it really taking off. It seems to be the best option on the northshore for training.
    I've never had a safety issue there but, the place being less structured and more open to training and not just shooting from a bench, I would not take relative beginners there without being willing to assure their adherence cardinal to safety rules.

jvr

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    new orleans
    Mineralman55 and wildbillkelso sum it up. Range is open 24/7 - 365 to members (no electricity). Members are allowed to draw weapons; move and shoot and a lot of other private range advantages. I am a member. I usually go on weekends and it is not crowded. It does not flood out like honey island. Everyone is a/the range officer. It is 15 minutes past Honey Island which is a great range, especially for the new shooter or the once a year hunter. If you shoot regularly, want to check your real zero at 150-200, or prefer practice from more than a bench, MCTA is a much better range. I highly recommend it.

brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    I train there at least 4x per year with Mike Honkala.
    Training is excellent.
    Facility is excellent.
    Highly recommended.

SpringPro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Excellent place to shoot. I have been a member for the last year or so. Covered rifle ranges and one covered pistol range. Two pistol ranges are not covered. Can be messy after a lot of rain but gun fights don't always happen on beautiful days. Bring a cooler with water. The weekends do get pretty busy but it is quiet during the week. Lots of good guys and gals there. It is a grown up range so you are responsible for you and the people you bring with you. Plans in the future for a 300 yard range. Mike offers a lot of good training. A lot of the people shooting there have police or military backgrounds and are always helpful if asked a question.

Top Bottom