Anybody shoot 28Ga ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I decided to pick up a Tristar Viper G2 28ga wood shotgun to shoot and hunt with. It is made with a 28ga scaled receiver and is very light weight. I've never done any shooting with a 28ga but just like the idea of using an unusual gauge.
    I have a Tristar Viper G2 in 20ga synthetic also and it's a real nice light weight shotgun at around 6lbs. The 28ga is lighter.
    I know the shells are more but I'm not going to be shooting 1000's of rounds a year through it at the skeet range.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Academy, Walmart, Basspro, Cabelas, and Jim's all have 28ga shells. Probably can find it at other gun shops as well not to mention order it online. Brenneke makes a great slug load for deer or hogs.

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Usually Winchester AA loads in the black box at Walmart. Bought 2 boxes last night from Walmart. Academy is actually $1 cheaper than Walmart for the AA loads and has more other offerings.
    Shell prices are cheaper than 410 shells. Winchester AA 7.5 shot 3/4oz Sporting Clays loads are 8.97/box at Academy.

Last edited:

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I love my 28 ga guns! Great for woodcock, quail, rabbit. Very light and easy to maneuver in the woods. Winchester has been having rebates the last few years so I mail ordered a few cases when they did.
    I will say the many extra pellets and added weight in a 12 ga help my skeet scores!

Beveaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2015
    outside NOLA
    I'm trying to sell a Beretta A400 12 ga and got an offer to trade for the same gun in 28 ga. That's the first time I have researched the 28 ga.

Looks like many 28 ga are built on the 20 ga frame, so on those guns you don't get a lighter gun and you lose the power of the 20 ga.

I shoot mainly sporting clays and then go on 3-4 dove hunts each year. Maybe one quail hunt a year. Guess I'll stick with the 20 ga.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    A 28g Browning gold trigger is the only shotgun I've hunted rabbit with since my father took the .410 away. Great gun and the shot has been nearly flawless for me, only 3 rabbits have made it away since I started.

Like others have mentioned, shells aren't that hard to find... I recall them being hard to find in the past though.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    I've only had one 28ga shotgun that I shot before and it was a muzzleloading shotgun that I had when I was 12-13 years old. I shot blackpowder and used a wad over the powder followed by a 28ga shot cup and an over the shot card. It shot pretty good patterns out to about 20-25 yards with a cylinder bore barrel. I also wrapped .50 Maxiballs with pillow ticking to make a slug load. It was a Dixie gun works cheap shotgun but it worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom