Lets Talk 500 S&W

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    have been looking at S&W Brand. i wanted go big or go home!
    Just looking on line at 8 3/8" regular S&W at 1st I thought it was not large enough! As I wanted it to be bigger than my 29 8 3/8 and fingered it was about the same.
    That was until I saw one and had it in hand. Yes it has a 8 3/8 barrel but also a Comp. and the massive X Frame / Cylinder makes it way longer than the 29 8 3/8" is.
    So I had my mind made up. It is 15.0" long and is 69.1 oz.
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-sw500-0
    Then I saw online and can order a Performance Center 7.5"
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-sw500-0
    It is almost as long as the 8 3/8" 500 as far as length at 15.0" and 69.9 oz. But "Has better everything"
    So look wise it is same size. Plan is to cast some 350 and 500 Grain Gas Checked Bullets
    Things that may matter is the regular one with the 8 3/8" has a high efficiency compensator. And the 7.5" Performance Center has a Muzzle Brake so wonder if that makes any difference with recoil? I was looking at the 14" Performance but ruled that out! Hay I) am 113.4 last doctor visit
    Thoughts?

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    A shot of my 29 classic Yes i know it is big but kinda bored with it had it since 1990-1991 or so.
    Thus my wanting the 10.5" Performance Model. But just about ruled it out, as it was silly! It ends up being 18" long and around 80 Oz. For what I wanted it for. Just plinking, and "maybe" if ever hunt
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-model-sw500

Attachments

• SW29Classic003(1).JPG
      SW29Classic003(1).JPG
      126.4 KB · Views: 101
    Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I had a s&w500 at one time, think it was the 8"3/8 maybe with the muzzle brake style, it was a flat out beast to shoot, and flat out expensive lol, I didn't reload for it then so that prob wouldn't be as expensive if you reloaded... But with my experiance it just plain wasn't fun to shoot, the only gun that feels like you are being punched in the hand, way worse than a 1 handed pistol grip shotgun with buckshot. I had kept it for so long hoping to kill a deer with it and finially realized it was EXTREEME overkill for me, my 44 mags can handle that roll just as easily... What ever you get I would get with the best recoil reducing muzzle as possible lol, but then you better be shooting/hunting with earplugs lol, good luck on your quest

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Did not think ammo cost would be that much worse than 357 or 44 Magnum's
    A box of brass from Starline direct includes shipping and is in stock. Have Large Magnum Primers on self.
    Have Powder as well. So just order up a Mold Thinking of this one to start withN.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_503-330-HP_(PB)_Sketch.Jpg

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    The smaller one is also available with gas checks.
    May go smaller weight for less muzzle flipN.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_502-410-HP_(GC)_Sketch.Jpg

Is a Muzzle Brake better than a Compensator I have looked and some say they are the same. Thus me asking here.
    Will one be better than the other?

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    If you don't push the reloaded ammo to the factory velocities the shots will strike higher on the target. I had to get a taller front sight to lower the groups. I was shooting Hornady 350gr XTP bullets around 1600fps or so. The factory 350gr loads are supposed to do around 1900fps.
    I ended up selling mine and getting a 460 S&W which is a lot more comfortable to shoot and a lot more versatile but still have a larger pistol. Both of mine were 8 3/8" barrels.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I had the Hunter model 10 inch Performance Center S&W 500. As has been said it is not fun to shoot after the breaking in period. There is minimal muzzle flip. The brake does its job. It stings and burns your hand even with the gel style grips. Your friends will only shoot it once just to say they had shot one, after that they won't bother u to shoot it any more. The ammo cost $2 to $3 a round. I had mine a while and got tired of it sitting in the safe. I shoot my arms or they go the way of the passenger pigeons. I would not advise anyone to buy one unless u plan on going on an elephant hunt. Also it is a very heavy pistol to hold up steady: u better eat your wheaties or plan on using a good rest whenever u plan on pulling the trigger.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Wow what great info! Man I really wanted one but you guys are talking me out of it.
    Maybe i will just go onto my next on my want list i just had 2 as i have every thing else i wanted
    The other is a target gun 100%

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    You might try the 460 S&W. It's fun and comfortable to shoot and has the power of a 444 Marlin rifle with the 240gr and 300gr loads plus flat shooting with the 200gr loads.

Attachments

• DSCN1107.JPG
      DSCN1107.JPG
      124.5 KB · Views: 85
    Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Lets Talk 500 S&W

I have a 8 3/8 500 and love it. I get just as much thrill out of shooting it as I do watching others shoot their first few rounds through it. And no I'm not a Dick about it like some YouTube fools. I make them watch me shoot two rounds and tell them EXACTLY what to expect when they pull the trigger. I get way more smiles than grimaces.
    I've had mine about 5 years now and at $3 per it's costly but if I bring it on 3 outings a year and go through 20 rounds each outing that's sub $200 a year, well worth it.
    Hit me up if you are ever in the Cenla area and want to pull the trigger.

91a89f08c6789115de6ead85b3daefd4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I have a 8 3/8 500 and love it. I get just as much thrill out of shooting it as I do watching others shoot their first few rounds through it. And no I'm not a Dick about it like some YouTube fools. I make them watch me shoot two rounds and tell them EXACTLY what to expect when they pull the trigger. I get way more smiles than grimaces.
    I've had mine about 5 years now and at $3 per it's costly but if I bring it on 3 outings a year and go through 20 rounds each outing that's sub $200 a year, well worth it.
    Hit me up if you are ever in the Cenla area and want to pull the trigger.

91a89f08c6789115de6ead85b3daefd4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldnt mind taking you up on the offer just to experience shooting it. Heck, I would even pay for the ammo I fired. If only I were closer and could get away up to that area long enough. :(

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I love the 500.. I'm getting a .460 next though. S&W hit it out of the park with the X frames. Absolutely love them. I mean, it's not like the awesome killing power of the 9mm, but they are nice for anything that doesn't walk on two legs. Apparently 2 legged varmints can't be killed without using a 9mm these days.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I have the same 8 3/8 model as 3fifty7. His method of putting someone new behind it, is right on the mark. Everyone that has shot mine, has been used to small snappy 9s or bigger, never had any problems, just smiles.

It has shut down a range with everyone coming down to see whats making all the noise. It can also make people smile as a conversation piece over coffee.

I enjoy shooting it, and find the rubber grips make a big difference. I had a TC Contender with a short 44 mag barrel that would make the web of my hand ache after 10-12 rounds. It had a walnut target grip. I never found the need to practice much with the longer 30-30 barrel. Speaking of Contenders the 444 Marlin is tempting.

Top Bottom