Need someone to cut and crown a 22 rimfire barrel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CriticalMass

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 1, 2016
    Pearl River, LA
    It's my squirrel rifle. Got tired of catching it on vines, tree limbs etc while walking through the woods last season. Want to get it down to 16" and re-crown it. The thing is a tack driver and I'd like to keep it that way. Any recommendations? I'm between Covington and Slidell.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    This business is not in Louisiana, but CPC in Connecticut may work for you. If your .22 is a Ruger 10/22 you are in good shape as this is what he specializes in. Look his company up on the internet and see if he can do the work. He has worked on two rifles for me and the work and service was awesome.

CriticalMass

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 1, 2016
    Pearl River, LA
    Thanks for the replies. It's a Zastava CZ99 bolt action. It's at about 21" from the front of the reciever now, which with the way I tend to plow through thickets is a problem. Pine grove is a little bit farther from me than independence but what would you charge me?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I understand that you 'would like it to be 16" ', but if you want it to be accurate, the barrel is going to determine where to cut it.

You want to push a slug down the bore, a bit of lubricant/wax may help.
    Where you feel a constriction, is where you want to cut it.

.22's are more accurate if there is a slight constriction at the muzzle.

This really is a job you can handle by yourself. Just order a crown cutter from Brownells, and buy a hacksaw. A little cold blue will finish the job.

CriticalMass

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 1, 2016
    Pearl River, LA
    I understand that you 'would like it to be 16" ', but if you want it to be accurate, the barrel is going to determine where to cut it.

You want to push a slug down the bore, a bit of lubricant/wax may help.
    Where you feel a constriction, is where you want to cut it.

.22's are more accurate if there is a slight constriction at the muzzle.

This really is a job you can handle by yourself. Just order a crown cutter from Brownells, and buy a hacksaw. A little cold blue will finish the job.

Thanks for the tip! Well, I don't need it to be 16" on the dot, and accuracy is pretty critical since I'm shooting squirrels in the head, often from awkward, uncomfortable positions, while sweating and breathing heavy from fighting to get to the tree my dog is at. I'm pretty often not a perfect shot in these conditions which is why I need the rifle to be as good as it can be, in case im off by a half inch or so.

I really don't mind as long as it's at least 3 or 4 inches shorter. I think that will make a huge difference the rest of the time because it's the very end of the barrel that is usually catching on things.

Ok so this resistance im feeling for... is it something I can guage with a 22 air rifle pellet, or do I need something that will engage more with the lands?

CSavant

Gunsmith
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Cutting and crowning a barrel is a basic Gunsmith operation, any decent gunsmith in your area will have no problem with this job. The 22Lr reaches full powder burn far before 16" and about 60% of its velocity is reached in the first few inches of the barrel. If you want to have it cut down there is a very low chance you will see any performance difference. If there is no one in your area that can handle it for you, please feel free to give us a call at Jim's Firearms Inc. in Baton Rouge. 225-293-5467.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    I recently had a few rifles threaded with muzzle brakes installed. I was impressed the quality of the work done for me by CG&L in Pine Grove, La.

Good luck with your project!

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Thanks for the tip! Well, I don't need it to be 16" on the dot, and accuracy is pretty critical since I'm shooting squirrels in the head, often from awkward, uncomfortable positions, while sweating and breathing heavy from fighting to get to the tree my dog is at. I'm pretty often not a perfect shot in these conditions which is why I need the rifle to be as good as it can be, in case im off by a half inch or so.

I really don't mind as long as it's at least 3 or 4 inches shorter. I think that will make a huge difference the rest of the time because it's the very end of the barrel that is usually catching on things.

Ok so this resistance im feeling for... is it something I can guage with a 22 air rifle pellet, or do I need something that will engage more with the lands?

I've never tried it with a pellet. Give it a shot. See if you can feel a constriction in the bore. If you can, measure where it is. Try a few times, and see if you get the same results.

I recently had a few rifles threaded with muzzle brakes installed. I was impressed the quality of the work done for me by CG&L in Pine Grove, La.

Good luck with your project!
    Threading is a much more difficult operation than cutting. Not suggested for the homeowner, unless he has a lathe.

CriticalMass

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 1, 2016
    Pearl River, LA
    Thanks again for the tips. I'm still debating whether to attempt this myself or have someone else do it. I PMed CG&L but haven't heard back from him yet.

How discernible is the constriction I'm looking for, and is it a very common thing, or more of a random anomaly?

CSavant

Gunsmith
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Baton Rouge, La.
    It is a job you can do yourself with a hacksaw and the crowning tool if you feel confident. Keep in mind that the cost of the tool is almost the same price as having a professional do it. If you plan on doing more than one it would be worth it to buy the tools and take a crack at it. As for as the constriction goes, that is not a consistent finding nor is the "random constrictions" in every barrel. This is the first I have heard of this and I have cut more 22 barrels over the last 8 years than I can count and with no noticeable accuracy differences. The only thing you will lose by doing this is velocity, and not a whole lot of it. Check this link out

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Thanks again for the tips. I'm still debating whether to attempt this myself or have someone else do it. I PMed CG&L but haven't heard back from him yet.

How discernible is the constriction I'm looking for, and is it a very common thing, or more of a random anomaly?

I've cut a few barrels. Some had constrictions, some not. If you push a slug through with a brass rod multiple times, and it gets stuck in the same place, where you have to exert noticeably more force to make it pass, then you have found a constriction.

It is a job you can do yourself with a hacksaw and the crowning tool if you feel confident. Keep in mind that the cost of the tool is almost the same price as having a professional do it. If you plan on doing more than one it would be worth it to buy the tools and take a crack at it. As for as the constriction goes, that is not a consistent finding nor is the "random constrictions" in every barrel. This is the first I have heard of this and I have cut more 22 barrels over the last 8 years than I can count and with no noticeable accuracy differences. The only thing you will lose by doing this is velocity, and not a whole lot of it. Check this link out
    You've cut more barrels than I.
    I first read about these constrictions on Rimfire Central Forums. I had my doubts. I no longer have any doubt. Try it yourself to see.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    These constriction spots may be no more than copper or lead fouling in the lands...

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Don is not just making it up. I am not saying it is true or false but it is an accepted/debated thing depending on the persons belief.

Research if you would like
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206276&page=2

Some owners of 82G's find the tight end near the chamber. They rechamber the muzzle and flip the barrel end for end, then cut and recrown.

Quote from one mfgr. : "Many think a slight choke at the muzzle end of a ten thousandth or so will improve accuracy. But bench rest shooters have shown that parallel barrels seem to win more matches than choked ones. The exception is barrels which shoot lead bullets, like .22 Rimfire barrels and air rifle barrels. These barrels definitely shoot better if there is a slight choking in the barrel."
    Another mfr.:" CPC does diameter & visual bore scope inspection, tight end becomes muzzle end, barrel is cut from center of blank"

I am not saying it will make a difference in standing in an awkward position trying to beat the dog. Every .22 LR I did recrown has shot better, due to a better crown. Never slugged a barrel as i was just touching up the crown.

Last edited:

CriticalMass

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 1, 2016
    Pearl River, LA
    I am not saying it will make a difference in standing in an awkward position trying to beat the dog. Every .22 LR I did recrown has shot better, due to a better crown. Never slugged a barrel as i was just touching up the crown.

You'd be surprised! A grey squirrel head is at most about an inch and a half. I may miss by 3/4 of an inch from exertion, discomfort, or just plain flinching. If the gun misses by a quarter inch in the same direction, then I either miss altogether or mutilate the squirrel. They're not THAT great but I do eat em.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom