Chinese food

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Since we had the pizza discussion I thought I'd see which Chinese restaurants you go to...

We went to Little Chinatown on Williams tonight (beween w esplanade and the lake). Very good. Hong Kong style so a little different.

I like Best Wok in LaPlace. The owner is a great guy- Odd are if you eat there he'll remember you next time, and probably what you ordered!

5 Happiness is good but overpriced.

And of course our own Trey Yuen (owned by member Golden Dragon!) in Hammond. I don't get there as often as I like...

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    Mandarin House on Severn Ave in Metairie used to go every day for lunch when they were on Jefferson hwy, went a lot when they first moved in the early 90's still go every now and then.
    Wingate

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    There's Chinese food outside of the malls? JK

I seriously never "go out" for Chinese, Only eat it in the mall, but I eat Vietnamese food all the time. Go to Vietnamese restaurants and favorite dishes from each is as follows:

Pho Bang on Manhattan Blvd has the best pho.
    9 roses in Gretna has THE best Com Thit Nuong, and Banh Xeo
    Pho Orchid on Houma Blvd has the best Bun Bo Hue
    Kim's noodle house has the best Mi Vit Quay and Com Ga Quay
    For a large family meal, you can either eat dinner plates at 9 Roses, or get the 10 course meal from August moon.

All the uptown "fusion" Asian places suck to me, but that's b/c I'm Vietnamese and I'm traditional, I don't want someone bastardizing some of my favorite dishes.

The only time I get Chinese food during the week is at Best Wok on Behrman Hwy, mostly b/c it's a HUGE meal for 5 bucks.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I would... and, as I mentioned, member Golden Dragon is one of the chefs there and I believe one of the owners. We even had a bs.com get together in the back room of the Hammond location. Great food!

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I would not rate the Trey Yuen as a great Chinese restaurant.
    Wingate

+1 they lost their long time chef a few months ago.
    Best Chinese in NOLA area is Royal China, distantly followed by China Rose. Order off the Chinese menu at both.

GaryCCR

Off target
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Westbank, La
    Red's Chinese it's the best Chinese food in New Orleans.

Also, to Noob's point Viet fusion places are not good. I might not be the only one who dislikes Mo Pho. I'll take Phó Bang any day!!!

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I like Chinese restaurants that are NOT buffet style. Actually, I like those too, but I prefer a place that cooks to order. It seems like every main course is some kind of fried chicken in sticky-sweet sauce. Don't get me wrong, I like that too, but most of what is on buffet's is similar to that or poor to mediocre in taste or quality. I used to go to Cathay Inn on Airline in Metairie. Their mandarin chicken was one of my fav's. It was fried chicken pieces served on a bed of shredded lettuce with a brown sauce. The brown sauce had a hint of 5 spice in it. Haven't found any quite like it anywhere else.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    Maybe a little stretch to the thread.....

Years ago.....I am talking about early 70's there was a Chinese take out on Nicholson drive toward downtown from LSU that was the bomb! I came back years later after leaving LSU and it was gone :(

The best Chinese food to me are the dumplings...found a place in Los Angeles that is great.....a little too far for everyweek, though!!

I love Vietnamese restaurants, I just wished they could stay in business longer then a year or two before closing and opening up in another location.
    As I now live in SE TX, I have a couple that I visit regularly for both the pho and the com (com thit nuong-my favorite)! My wife hates that I love the fish sauce!

geauxbubba

"No Comment"
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Lacombe
    I have only been to the Trey Yuen's in Mandeville and it is by far the best Chinese food along with the best ambiance on the North shore. If you are in New Orleans, try Five Happiness on S. Carrollton avenue.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Ming's was good but a bit overpriced. Location I guess. BUT the server we had was terrible. (I asked what something was in one of the dishes, he picked up a piece from my plate with his fingers to look at while I was still eating! )

Cathay Inn used to be regular for us. They changed chefs a few years ago and we stopped going...

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Red's Chinese it's the best Chinese food in New Orleans.

Also, to Noob's point Viet fusion places are not good. I might not be the only one who dislikes Mo Pho. I'll take Phó Bang any day!!!

I went to Mo Pho once, for someone else. After going to other pho places I realized Mo Pho didn't have that 'smell' pho places have.

Mae Mae is a bit fusion and a pretty good. There slider to be exact are fairly hittin.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Empress of China in Gretna has been consistently good. Sure there are better places but I can always go there and get good food. Service is hit or miss but I've never had a bad meal and I think they have been there for 25+ years. Longevity in the restaurant business says a lot.

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA

Mo pho is fancy California fusion pho.
    I know the chef is a guy local who used to work for Besh.

Pho Bang is the good stuff, not fancy, just good.
    Someone else below mentioned how it doesn't smell like a pho place, it's weird.
    I've had people tell me they don't like pho but will go-to MO Pho. Which makes no sense at all...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom