Banh Mi ? Who here likes them - Besides Noob and I?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    A Brawny Inspired Question:
    Have you never had it? Do you not like it? Where you getting your Banh Mi?

Noob on here brought me one and it was the first one I have had. So a big thanks to Noob.
    Then another guy brought me one and I kind of got hooked. I also had one that was OK and one I just couldn't eat.

I liked the ones from Hong Kong Market. My daugher and I are bumping heads on this. She like Mr. Bubbles which near the HKM. The ones I get are in the market next to the hanging ducks and pig heads. HKM Banh Mi run about 4 bucks for the most expensive one. Last time I went I got the one I knew I liked and a second one. I am going to just start going in numerical order until I try every one there.

My sister has a Vietnamese coworker that brings them but won't tell anybody where they come from. She thinks they are the best she has had. To the point a LoJack may become involved in the tracking process.

I had a VN friend tell me this is the best place:
    http://dpbanhmi.com/DP_Bakery/Welcome.html

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    You're welcome Mike.

As far as the sandwiches I like just about all of them. Dong Phuong is the "original" bakery that EVERYONE used to buy their bread from. Though, when I lived in the East, I preferred Banh Mi Sao Mai (which she used to sell out of her house through a small window). The quality of her sandwiches went down hill after she opened a stand alone store.

As far as the Mr Bubbles Vs Hong Kong debate, I like them both, but prefer Mr Bubbles. Though they can be a little inconsistent. With it being too "wet" sometimes and sometimes too dry. Also their BBQ is too fatty sometimes. Frosty's cafe also has the sandwiches, but not sure if both locations carry it.

If your sister's coworker lives near Algiers, she may be getting her sandwiches from an old lady in the "woodland" neighborhood. She's just and older lady that's been selling them from her house for probably over 20 years off and on. But I've heard, they are the best. I cannot confirm since I'm originally from the East bank, and didn't get to experience her sandwiches.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I was going to suggest Dong Phuong. They are always packed when I go by. They do still provide bread for a lot of places.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I would probably like vietnamese... unfortunately, I developed an allergy to onions. Even walking into most Vietnamese places would trigger a reaction! :) Somebody find my an onion free vietnamese place!

playboyoncrack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2015
    New Orleans
    Dong Phuong = has the largest selection out of them all. Value wise it's better deal than Sao Mai. But make sure you get some of their savory puff pastries (pork and onions)

Like noob stated Sao Mai isn't the same. The quality took a hit since the original 1st generation lady passed away.

Bubbles > hk

Cafe chot Nho - Other than me, most of my friends/family favorite banh mi place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I like Than Dinh. Q is the man and a great cook!

I have not had Banh Mi there.

Q is the man. He is a great host. The Au Jus there is just "Stupid Good" as was their peanut sauce. They had a few things there I could have hurt myself on. I can't remember all the specifics but in general it was good. Wings were good. Roasted pork was good. I think I am going for the catfish in a clay pot next time.

I like the 'Steam Rolls" in general any place I have had them.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I would probably like vietnamese... unfortunately, I developed an allergy to onions. Even walking into most Vietnamese places would trigger a reaction! :) Somebody find my an onion free vietnamese place!

You might be able to trust Q at Thanh Dinh or Mae Mae to tell you if they have onions or not in a dish. I don't know how bad of a risk it is. Must be tough.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Dong Phuong = has the largest selection out of them all. Value wise it's better deal than Sao Mai. But make sure you get some of their savory puff pastries (pork and onions)

Like noob stated Sao Mai isn't the same. The quality took a hit since the original 1st generation lady passed away.

Bubbles > hk

Cafe chot Nho - Other than me, most of my friends/family favorite banh mi place

I do remember something @ Dong Phuong really catching my eye. Making a special trip sometimes becomes really lowers the odds of going. So many stars need to align.

I did recently go to a Russian place. I didn't know it was just a bar that served food. It is not worth going for the Russian food. The hamburger was quite good FTM (for the money). I wouldn't mind going back for another 1 of their burgers. Problem is it is on St. Claude near Elysian fields.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I have tried almost every place mentioned already, but I have to say Kim Ahn is my favorite for Pho and Banh Mi.

playboyoncrack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2015
    New Orleans
    Just tried some banh mi from Dejepe bakery = off of Behrman hwy !! Highly recommend ... new place

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I need to try this banh mi boys, saw that there's one in chalmette recently where son's seafood used to be.

I've been to dejepe once. Had a pretzel with hot dog inside, it was good but literally stood in there and no one was at the counter for 5 minutes till a guy come from out back and asked if I wanted anything

playboyoncrack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2015
    New Orleans
    I need to try this banh mi boys, saw that there's one in chalmette recently where son's seafood used to be.

I've been to dejepe once. Had a pretzel with hot dog inside, it was good but literally stood in there and no one was at the counter for 5 minutes till a guy come from out back and asked if I wanted anything

I had someone ordered to-go, don't make the drive to Kenner for banh mi boys. If you like Sao mai etc you won't like banh mi boys. Too much things going on their banh mi like sauce wise, avoid the ube/pandan beignets at all cost.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    You might be able to trust Q at Thanh Dinh or Mae Mae to tell you if they have onions or not in a dish. I don't know how bad of a risk it is. Must be tough.

Violent gastro reactions for 12 hours starting about 4 hours after ingestion. General malaise for 3 to 5 days. high exposure and I have trouble breating. I haven't ended up in the ER yet, but its been close. Benedryl helps a lot but not enough to take chances. And even onion powder in a dish can trigger a mild reaction. So much fun... but we all have our problems. I can live without vietnamese but damn it looks good. (and on the plus side I used to be allergic to dogs. At about age 20 i traded dogs for onions. I can deal...).

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom