Modifications To Firearms

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    More to the point. Have you ever been interested in or bought a firearm with modifications done to it but decided not to buy them due to the changes done? Specifically things like parkarizing, cerakoting, or some other change in the finish other than what it was manufactured with. A stock change with a different type, style, or type of material? I have passed on not buying a few due to them being parkarized, ceracoted, stocks changed to polymer from original wood, added rails that are not original to the firearm, etc. In particular an East German Makarov that was parkarized (looked hideous) that I sent back to the seller for refund, an SKS in a polymer aftermarket stock that just didnt look or feel right to me, and an AK that was in polymer furniture and cerakoted that just didnt look right, both of which I passed on buying. Maybe I am too pickey or too much of a purist? Mainly I am refering to milsurp firearms. What are your feelings on alterations or changes from the norm on firearms?

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    As a collector,I don't buy anything that isn't all original.Its not worth 3 cents if it has been de-blued,,
    anything added.

I might cerokote a hi point,but that would be it.Not sure why people think its kewl to cerokote or paint,
    etc any firearm worth more than $100

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    When it comes to MilSurp, I am a purist as well. I normally am buying them for their historical value. I won't buy an AK that is "Tacticooled" out. I guess that I am the type that would pay more for a firearm that is in fair condition, but has some trench art on it then for a very good condition firearm that has been modified (stock, ceracoting, etc.). I normally turn these guns into safe queens anyways. I guess if I was looking for one just to burn ammo through I would consider a poly AK. On the more modern firearms I had to pass up a good deal on a Glock 19 that had been stippled. It didn't look that bad, but when I took it out to shoot it, it would actually tear up my hands. Whoever did it left some pretty sharp edges on it and turned a good thing bad. Other then that I get a little nervous when I hear that a trigger job has been done just because I don't hardly trust anybody to work on my firearms. Needless to say I buy most of my firearms new and modify them myself!

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    As a collector,I don't buy anything that isn't all original.Its not worth 3 cents if it has been de-blued,,
    anything added.

I might cerokote a hi point,but that would be it.Not sure why people think its kewl to cerokote or paint,
    etc any firearm worth more than $100

When it comes to MilSurp, I am a purist as well. I normally am buying them for their historical value. I won't buy an AK that is "Tacticooled" out. I guess that I am the type that would pay more for a firearm that is in fair condition, but has some trench art on it then for a very good condition firearm that has been modified (stock, ceracoting, etc.). I normally turn these guns into safe queens anyways. I guess if I was looking for one just to burn ammo through I would consider a poly AK. On the more modern firearms I had to pass up a good deal on a Glock 19 that had been stippled. It didn't look that bad, but when I took it out to shoot it, it would actually tear up my hands. Whoever did it left some pretty sharp edges on it and turned a good thing bad. Other then that I get a little nervous when I hear that a trigger job has been done just because I don't hardly trust anybody to work on my firearms. Needless to say I buy most of my firearms new and modify them myself!

I agree with both of you and thats what I am talking about, tacticool. Why try and tacticool something when it is already "cool" and original? It just drops the value of it. Yeah, its hard to drop the value of a hipoint by doing anything to it. :mamoru:

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    IDK I've done some of those things thinking I was improving the condition or esthetics given the gun was missing a lot of blue and/or rusted, or other issues. I have a 1920 Colt service revolver in .45ACP that is missing almost all blue, US Army markings ground off in an ugly way, one grip panel is repaired with a chunk-o-wood nailed to it. The way it is currently tells an awesome life story of near a 100 years of use and abuse (still shoots well). The previous owner was going to convert this gun into a gangster gun with a shortened barrel and other mods the 1920's gangsters would do to these revolvers that took moon clips (speed loaders of the times). This gun is a good prospect for such a conversion in my opinion, collector value zero.
    What about a 1916 Spanish Mauser in 7mm? a cheap gun or a small-ring Mauser receiver to build a sporting rifle. I've got one but couldn't get rid of it, asking $150 at the time, so I may use it to build a sporting rifle.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Depends. I like working guns. A duck gun with a new dip is actually worth more to me. I wouldn't want a blue CC pistol or revolver to sweat upon. If it's of historical value or looks like crap then no.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I don't really care but to gain my interest the gun's price has to reflect what was done to it, which in a lot of cases brings down the value, in spite of what was paid for those mods.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    C&R's should be original. Working guns should be as functional as possible. If that means a better finish, then sure.

OTOH, I have no use for high gloss 'pretty' delicate guns! High end engraving? No thanks...

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I say if it is a collectible firearm unless you are trying to undo something or trying to make it more original then don't do it.
    Now, if you are like a lot of people on here, myself included, and you turn over guns because you just like different guns to try then I might even suggest to not modify them at all. If you are real bad and are trading or buying and selling because you can't decide if you like something I would say don't even put night sights on a gun. Especially nowadays. Gun prices are low and a modified gun does not let you recoup anything. You will probably eat the cost of the night sights if you try and sell it. I have seen new guns for sale with added night sights for the price of what you would get it at a gun shop without night sights.
    Another thing is I am a little nervous to get a gun that has had any trigger work done or kits installed unless they state that it was done by a professional gunsmith.
    These are just my thoughts. Take them or leave them. Actually, now that I think of it, the market right now is a buyers market. That is why I tend to trade whenever I can. It pains me to let go of a gun I know only has a magazine through it for a discount but I guess it is dumb to think there would be no depreciation.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    As a collector, I just cringe when I see a nice Springfield 1903 or '03-A3 or Model of 1917 that has been "customized." Even if it is a work of art and shoots 1/2 MOA, it will still only be worth $200-350 instead of the $650-900 original value.

However, for the right price I'm interested. I bought 2 such shooters, but they were sold by the "customizers" cheap. I think I only paid $100 for a Swedish M94/14 in a Monte Carlo stock and scope rings (M94s at the time were going for $650 and up). With a Weaver K1 scope, it is a quick pointer in the thicket for hogs and deer. The other was a Springfield '03-A3 in a beautiful commercial stock w/Leupold Vari-XII scope for maybe $250. Shot a nice 8-point 2 years ago and a doe last year. They both had a lot of work in the stock, Timney triggers, modified bolt handles, new safeties, etc.

If you customize a gun, plan to keep it forever, because you will rarely get out the value of the time and materials you put into it, and 9 times out of 10, can loose a large percentage of the original value.

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    All very good points made by many members. Yes, I was mainly referring to firearms that are collectables or have a higher than average value and are sometimes devalued by customization or add ons. Some are already customized or altered in some way but, their price should reflect these changes. Of course, the firearms belong to the seller and the seller is free to ask any price they wish. If they get their asking price is a whole different story though.

iwhodat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    River Ridge, Louisiana
    I'm a milsurp purist. There's nothing quite like an AK or an SKS dressed in the wood it was born in. I love the CZ82 and the P64 in their military configuration. My Yugo Tokarev will stay the same way that I purchased it. My Mosin Nagant will never be "Bubba" modified. My SGL21 is the only AK that will ever sport plastic furniture, cause that's the way I bought it from K-Var. If I ever rescue a bubba'ed milsurp firearm, I'll do my damnest to restore it back to the way it came into this world. I love everything American, but I have a soft spot for commie, milsurp pistols and rifles.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I pass on 99% of the modified guns I come across. The few I'll consider are almost always older guns with period modifications like engraving. From a resale perspective, modifications are almost always a financial loser ... and I always buy with an eye to resale.

Even the most beat-up C&R retains some value if it's original.

Mike

Top Bottom