Capital One ,The new Scam

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    I just wanted to let others know what this bank may be doing.

I went to open a bank account at a capital one location.They stated they didn't do that anymore
    unless you kept $5,000 in the bank at all times.They did state that you could go online and get a
    360 account for free.

SO I went home and signed up on 360 -capital one website.All looked good.I even connected my
    other banks to the 360 account.

Well about 2 days later I started receiving 100s,like 4-500 emails daily about junk,business's.
    Basically advertising spam hell.But more of them were going to regular mail than spam.

I decided to call and ask what was going on and why I was all of a sudden getting all these
    emails.They could or would not tell me why.They said they do use personal information to send
    to their affiliates.Hmmm

The next day I went and took all of the money out of the account and closed it.It took about
    24 more days to stop getting hundreds of emails daily.I tracked some of them back and noticed
    there were logo's of capital one bank on them.Hmmm

Anyway,I'm just letting everyone know that this is the new scam for capital one.I'm about 95%
    sure they are selling peoples personal information.They probably don't do it to everyone,but more
    than 0 is 1 too many in my eyes.I didn't get the phone app,so I cant say if they are doing the
    same thing with it as well.

Im just amazed in the year 2017,that any bank could get away with illegal acts,such as this.

I never signed anything!!!!

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...I went to open a bank account at a capital one location.They stated they didn't do that anymore
    unless you kept $5,000 in the bank at all times...

The $5K minimum is only for the "High Yield Checking" -- if you just want to open an account, there are other options available. I've had accounts with Cap One for years, never had any such problems with spam. It's no worse than any other bank as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I was with the same local bank for more than 40 years and knew the local employees. Not long after Capital One purchased the bank they began to replace the locals and service went downhill. I met with a manager one day and voiced my opinion. We disagreed and I immediately cancelled all my accounts and went to another bank.
    Only issue in 50 plus years of banking.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I was with the same local bank for more than 40 years and knew the local employees. Not long after Capital One purchased the bank they began to replace the locals and service went downhill. I met with a manager one day and voiced my opinion. We disagreed and I immediately cancelled all my accounts and went to another bank.
    Only issue in 50 plus years of banking.

Same thing I have experienced with my local bank that was purchased as well by capital one a few years ago. All I am going to say about "capital one failure, douche bag, we dont care about our customers bank" is, that I have nothing good to say about them! :mad:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    They all sell your personal info. It's in the fine print. I have an email address I give to business and have one I don't. The one that I never give to businesses is close to ten years old and I've never gotten spam on it. The other I never check so it doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    haaaaa lol, I had a a$$ full with them last week, ive been banking with them for 17 years, have had a couple problems with them before on financing, you would think with a high credit score, steady job, plenty funds in bank, never a nsf charge, that your bank would be jumping to finance you. I always check with them first and its like pulling teeth with them. Well I just bought a new car and got with them and financed the new car "go figure" well its a app, they run your credit and pre approve you and tell you exactly what your payments gonna be ect. Well I get ready to close on the loan at the dealership and they say the interest is 2% higher than capitol one told me it would be, but it might be a mistake by them, so I went through with it to call them back the next business day, and that lady on the phone had the nerve to tell me " oh honey, looks like you didn't read the fine print"!!!!! I said do what? she said you should have read the fine print on the bottom of the app it says that we arnt bound by the interest rates we quote you. Well after about a 20 min call with them letting them know how I fell they are treating me and how dirty that was, I decided to finally switch banks.. Joined the credit union at my work and got it for 4% less interest rate than capitol one was offering after there 2% increase.... needless to say I can tell you what aint gonna be in my wallet anymore!!!!

and don't get me started on what happens if you got money in the bank and you withdraw $600 cash out of the atm on a sat or sun when the bank is closed... Just like the gov.. they act like its there money, no matter how many security questions you answer right, you aint getting your money till Monday

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Prepaid debit card.. no names, no paperwork, no paper trail... if you use the Wal-Mart prepaid debit card, you can manage it online, just like a regular bank account, do direct deposit for work, etc.. and and never give your name or any identifying information. If you have to call their customer service line, they are very easy to deal with....

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    Prepaid debit card.. no names, no paperwork, no paper trail... if you use the Wal-Mart prepaid debit card, you can manage it online, just like a regular bank account, do direct deposit for work, etc.. and and never give your name or any identifying information. If you have to call their customer service line, they are very easy to deal with....

How does this work for online purchases where they want the name on the card?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I've never used Capital One, but after Omni closed the branch by my office, then the one by my house, I switched to Chase Bank and I've never been happier.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...and don't get me started on what happens if you got money in the bank and you withdraw $600 cash out of the atm on a sat or sun when the bank is closed... Just like the gov.. they act like its there money, no matter how many security questions you answer right, you aint getting your money till Monday

I'm not defending Cap One, and not disputing anyone's account of grievances -- but I've more than once withdrawn more than $600 from the local ATM on a weekend, no problem. Have to wonder if some of this is related to branch management?

Personally, I left Hancock Bank years ago after a dispute about wire transfer fees (I was working as a consultant for a Dutch corporation and paid by monthly wire transfer. Hancock charged (IMO) outrageous fees and despite my complaints refused to lower them) and moved to Cap One. I have only a checking account and a savings account, no loans or investments, etc., with Cap One and really no interest in those.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Capital One likely didn't sell your information. A website probably saw a Capital One cookie, or something on your computer that established that you went to their website, so you start seeing ads for it. This works very similar to how my girlfriend looked up Tiffany & Co. engagement rings on my phone, and now all I see on EVERY website is Tiffany rings (including on gun, outdoors, and Facebook websites).

All banks basically have the same shitty requirements to maintain an account without a service charge. As for ATM withdrawals, that is limited by your account type at the bank. Higher tiered accounts will yield a higher ATM limit.

I worked in a bank for right at five years and my general consensus is that if online banks (Ally and that type) are the way to go if you never go to banks. If you like to go to a bank in person, pick a small local bank if you don't ever leave the city as they will have good customer service. If you leave the city frequently, I'd recommend a big bank like Chase as they have locations nearly everywhere and are relatively easy to deal with.

From a strict banking standpoint, Capital One's major product is credit cards whereas Chase's is banking and investment products. For a regional bank, Hancock Whitney is a good bank and has better account minimums than most.

Just like you should shop before you buy a gun, you should shop before you choose a bank.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Capitol One sent my mom to collections over an unpaid $56 charge...that they never sent her a bill for or attempted to notify late status on for 8 months. Then the collector sends a letter for $56 plus $100 in late fees, plus notice that account has been terminated. My response? "Great, saves me the trouble of closing it rudely."

gunluvinlarry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2016
    baton rouge
    Ya, I used to have capital one back in the day,,, they ripped me off on something and I haven't been back since... Im glad you told us about the scam though,, they are definitely sending out your info (selling it). Banks use to mean privacy as well.. I guess privacy is a thing of the past.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Ya, I used to have capital one back in the day,,, they ripped me off on something and I haven't been back since... Im glad you told us about the scam though,, they are definitely sending out your info (selling it). Banks use to mean privacy as well.. I guess privacy is a thing of the past.

welcome to America. lol

- - - Updated - - -

welcome to America. lol

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've been with Capital one for years, and before that a local bank that they acquired (my grandfather had been a high-ranking person at the local bank before the acquisition). They've generally been OK, but recently, they deactivated my ATM card, saying that it had expired. I've never heard of an ATM card expiring. I have been to the local branches three times trying to get them to re-issue my ATM card. As of yet, no luck. Each time, the customer service person has entered my info into the computer, but so far, no card.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom