2017 Pelican State Friends of NRA Banquet - Baton Rouge, LA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigsk

Iconoclast
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    24th Annual Pelican State Friends of NRA
    August 19th 5:30pm Crowne Plaza Hotel
    Constitution Avenue Baton Rouge, LA

5.01(c)(3) Charity Event that funds Boy Scouts, 4-H, Hunters Education, Eddie Eagle training in local schools, youth shooting sports, etc. through a grant request program set up by the NRA Foundation.

Join the festivities and help support the shooting sports. Be a Sponsor, get a group of friends together for a table of 9.

https://www.friendsofnra.org/

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I clicked on the link and went to "find an event". I chose Louisiana and was given a list of 5 events. I found the one mentioned above and clicked on more info, hoping to get more info on the event. The only information given was "It's here at this time...how many tickets do you want for $75 a ticket?" If it weren't for the original post, I'd never know it was even a banquet. Are the festivities being kept a secret on purpose?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I clicked on the link and went to "find an event". I chose Louisiana and was given a list of 5 events. I found the one mentioned above and clicked on more info, hoping to get more info on the event. The only information given was "It's here at this time...how many tickets do you want for $75 a ticket?" If it weren't for the original post, I'd never know it was even a banquet. Are the festivities being kept a secret on purpose?

The reason for that is, that site is maintained by the "big" NRA. As you can imagine they have a lot of irons in the fire.

One of the biggest challenges for the Friends of NRA (which are local "grassroots volunteer organizations" all over the country), is to get exposure on a wide scale effort. We raise money to award grants to other organizations such as local Boy Scouts, 4-H shooting programs to provide our local area kids opportunities to join, participate, and remain in the shooting sports; while fostering a love for freedom and an enduring respect for the 2nd Amendment in the next generations.

The lack of exposure is a problem, but a bigger problem which is more disheartening is the sheer number of so called gun enthusiasts that ARE FULLY AWARE there are organizations out there that do what I just laid out above, and don't lift a finger or a penny to help promote the shooting sports outside of their blinders and their self interests.

You want to get involved? PM me. I'll get you involved.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Adding to this OP's announcement;

I see that this forum has pretty much turned entirely into a classified firearms website. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing that there are so many people selling their guns and firearms related items. Nonetheless, if you have guns and stuff that you need gone and you can't seem to find a buyer, consider donating it to this Banquet.

You won't get any cash for it per se, but it is tax deductible at market value and you damned sure will get more out of knowing that you contributed to the legacy of defending freedom and ensuring the 2nd Amendment's future through a youngster that may or may not ordinarily have had an opportunity to know what a great Right we truly have, than continuously dropping your price just to move it.

BTW; it doesn't have to be gun related either. We raffle hunts, art work, dinners, fishing equipment, and even chainsaws; and of course take cash donations! So before you think that you have nothing this Banquet could use for the cause, but know you have something you want to let go; let me know.

I guarantee this, there are people that donate items to this cause that are less fortunate and probably have less money than some of the people on this forum; but they believe in the cause, and they find a way! Because IT"S THAT IMPORTANT!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The lack of exposure is a problem, but a bigger problem which is more disheartening is the sheer number of so called gun enthusiasts that ARE FULLY AWARE there are organizations out there that do what I just laid out above, and don't lift a finger or a penny to help promote the shooting sports outside of their blinders and their self interests.

While I can understand your frustration, I would also suggest selling the organization by selling the events. It's a banquet with festivities, according to the original post. What festivities? Will there be raffles? Giveaways? Guest speakers? Some sort of meet and greet? Demonstrations? So far, it appears you're asking me to give you $75 for a plate of food. And if I were to bring my wife and step-daughter, it would be $225 for 3 plates of food so you gave give money to groups that I could donate to directly. Just because the "big" NRA isn't putting the info on the main site should not mean the info can't be put out on the "grassroots" level.

A lot of gun enthusiasts are enthusiasts in other areas as well. And there are a lot of worthy cause organizations in the other areas vying for their money, from wounded veteran groups to groups to help families of fallen officers. You seem disappointed your group isn't getting a bigger share of people's donations but, after two posts about it, there's no real info about the event. It's almost like you really don't want people to be excited about it.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    While I can understand your frustration, I would also suggest selling the organization by selling the events. It's a banquet with festivities, according to the original post. What festivities? Will there be raffles? Giveaways? Guest speakers? Some sort of meet and greet? Demonstrations? So far, it appears you're asking me to give you $75 for a plate of food. And if I were to bring my wife and step-daughter, it would be $225 for 3 plates of food so you gave give money to groups that I could donate to directly. Just because the "big" NRA isn't putting the info on the main site should not mean the info can't be put out on the "grassroots" level.

A lot of gun enthusiasts are enthusiasts in other areas as well. And there are a lot of worthy cause organizations in the other areas vying for their money, from wounded veteran groups to groups to help families of fallen officers. You seem disappointed your group isn't getting a bigger share of people's donations but, after two posts about it, there's no real info about the event. It's almost like you really don't want people to be excited about it.

I agree. Without more info provided as to what is provided at the banquet, I am not buying into it! People want to feel like they are getting a fair share of monetary return for what they are paying for, regardless if they are or not, me included. Screw the warm, fuzzy, helping out the next generation feeling! Until the NRA and their sub affiliates get it through their heads, they are going to continue to do poorly at fund raising events and rightly so. People want to feel "entitled" especially after the last 8yrs!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I invited you to personnally message me if you want to get involved?!? Involved can mean attending, donating, volunteering, and even getting more information. :dunno:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I agree. Without more info provided as to what is provided at the banquet, I am not buying into it! People want to feel like they are getting a fair share of monetary return for what they are paying for, regardless if they are or not, me included. Screw the warm, fuzzy, helping out the next generation feeling! Until the NRA and their sub affiliates get it through their heads, they are going to continue to do poorly at fund raising events and rightly so. People want to feel "entitled" especially after the last 8yrs!

Sir, I don't have time to visit this forum as often as I used to, but it seems everytime I do you are embroiled in some sort of broohaha with someone about something; usually about something inane. Okay, again; I will try to help you gain a better understanding of the subject you are bloviating about.

The Pelican State Chapter of Friends of NRA is comprised of all volunteers. They are retirees, plant workers, engineers, educators, businessmen, housewives, students, gunsmiths, salesmen, etc., etc. Notice I said, "volunteers!" They don't believe in "fuzzy" feel good slogans or platitudes. They believe that those kids who may not have a father, a grandfather, or mother; or friend, relative, mentor; or the economic means; should go through life without ANY opportunity, interaction, experience, or discovery of the fun, freedom, and Right that comes with an introduction into shooting. They believe that a kid that doesn't have the choice to try the shooting sports is a kid that is predetermined to be an adult that is ignorant to the importance of the 2nd Amendment when they begin to vote.

As for doing poorly at fundraising? The Pelican State Chapter of Friends of NRA has been in the top 10 of most successful Banquets of over 1100 Banquets held all over the country for the last 5 years. Now you think about that! There are FNRA Banquets held in dozens, possibly hundreds of cities 10 times the size of Baton Rouge, and we are top 10! Last year, they cancelled the Banquet at the last minute because of the fllod, rescheduled to December, and still ranked 6th out of 1100.

They don't want "entitled" people to get involved. They don't offer anything to anyone who feels they are "entitled" to have anything. Those who get involved love what they stand for and understand what they do. Those who don't either haven't experienced it, haven't been introduced to it, have'nt seen it for themselves, haven't tried to find out more information about it, have'nt thought about it, or just don't care!

There are other possibillities, but I think you get the point!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yes, you did. And I elected to keep things public so that others could see the information, you know, to increase the internet, and therefore the exposure, of the group. Based on your initial post, it seems you would want that as well. :dunno:

I invited you to personnally message me if you want to get involved?!? Involved can mean attending, donating, volunteering, and even getting more information. :dunno:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Last year was my first at the banquet, and though I was there in an official capacity and couldn't partake in all of the festivities, I had a good time. The food was great, the atmosphere was fun, and the cause a good one. I've already scheduled to work it again this year.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Those who don't either haven't experienced it, haven't been introduced to it, have'nt seen it for themselves, haven't tried to find out more information about it, have'nt thought about it, or just don't care!

So let me see if I understand this. You don't have a lot of time but you've found the time to post a few messages in here about how people should get more information but you're not willing to post the information people are asking for but you're frustrated more people aren't interested.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Sir, I don't have time to visit this forum as often as I used to, but it seems everytime I do you are embroiled in some sort of broohaha with someone about something; usually about something inane. Okay, again; I will try to help you gain a better understanding of the subject you are bloviating about.

The Pelican State Chapter of Friends of NRA is comprised of all volunteers. They are retirees, plant workers, engineers, educators, businessmen, housewives, students, gunsmiths, salesmen, etc., etc. Notice I said, "volunteers!" They don't believe in "fuzzy" feel good slogans or platitudes. They believe that those kids who may not have a father, a grandfather, or mother; or friend, relative, mentor; or the economic means; should go through life without ANY opportunity, interaction, experience, or discovery of the fun, freedom, and Right that comes with an introduction into shooting. They believe that a kid that doesn't have the choice to try the shooting sports is a kid that is predetermined to be an adult that is ignorant to the importance of the 2nd Amendment when they begin to vote.

As for doing poorly at fundraising? The Pelican State Chapter of Friends of NRA has been in the top 10 of most successful Banquets of over 1100 Banquets held all over the country for the last 5 years. Now you think about that! There are FNRA Banquets held in dozens, possibly hundreds of cities 10 times the size of Baton Rouge, and we are top 10! Last year, they cancelled the Banquet at the last minute because of the fllod, rescheduled to December, and still ranked 6th out of 1100.

They don't want "entitled" people to get involved. They don't offer anything to anyone who feels they are "entitled" to have anything. Those who get involved love what they stand for and understand what they do. Those who don't either haven't experienced it, haven't been introduced to it, have'nt seen it for themselves, haven't tried to find out more information about it, have'nt thought about it, or just don't care!

There are other possibillities, but I think you get the point!

And, your observations of me are wrong! As for the nra, they will never see another dime from me! Was a member with them many years ago but no more! Rather my money go to other shooting orginaziations!

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So let me see if I understand this. You don't have a lot of time but you've found the time to post a few messages in here about how people should get more information but you're not willing to post the information people are asking for but you're frustrated more people aren't interested.

I think you may be confusing frustration with exasperation. You see, to me; when I want to learn about the world around me, I seek my answers myself. Now, do not let that come off as an insult to you; but I am not the OP. I was merely expounding on that OP. Perhaps he or she could have been more specific, and perhaps (if you were truly interested in this event), you should have PM'd he or she and asked them for additional info.

For example, when I heard that CC permitting may become law here, that interested me. I didn't wait for someone to tell me how to get one, I found out how to get one. When I first heard about CC insurance, that interested me. I found USCCA and read about what they offered and if it would work for me. I could go on, but the point is these NRA events have been around for a long time, and so has Google. Now you can just type a question into the search bar and find out almost anything you want or ask.

What you view as frustration and I call exasperation is the amounts of folks in this world that talk about how many guns they have, and how much money they spend on their sport, and how much they love to do this or that; but when it comes down to supporting a cause (ANY cause, not just NRA), that directly or indirectly benefits them and their Right to do so; all you hear are cricket chirps.

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    "suum cuique"

Uh, okay, what ever you say about "to each his own", "may all get their do" since you seem to think that only what you say and only your opinions are correct and what anyone elses opinions are and what they say dont count for didly squat. Do you consider every one else beneath you and not up to your level of being such an outstanding person that you supposedly are? Time for the ignore feature. First time using it but you definitely deserve it!

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My experience is that they have a ton of raffles, silent auctions, etc. and a big live auction. Prizes include guns of all type: Old, New, "Tactical", Hunting, Expensive, Moderate, Collector, etc., as well as things like hunting trips, LSU/Saints memorabilia, outdoors/hunting stuff, and some lighter items to keep the lady in your life from getting too bored. Steak dinner, cash bar, and many, many like-minded individuals who support the 2nd Amendment.

There's no live band or anything, but the atmosphere is very upbeat, fun, and family-friendly. It's a big event and a good time. The Crowne Plaza is a really nice venue and accommodates the crowd well. The money goes to a good cause: primarily youth shooting sports, if I recall. I missed last year after the date was moved because of the flood, but I have donated a Gun Trust to the silent auction for the past few years. I plan to attend again this year.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You see, to me; when I want to learn about the world around me, I seek my answers myself. Now, do not let that come off as an insult to you; but I am not the OP. I was merely expounding on that OP. Perhaps he or she could have been more specific, and perhaps (if you were truly interested in this event), you should have PM'd he or she and asked them for additional info.

Yes, I could have sent a PM. I chose to not send a PM. If I have a question, it is possible that someone else may have the same question. If I were truly concerned about the whatever, why would I overburden the person providing the answer with making them answer the same question multiple times? The answer is that I wouldn't. I would publicly seek the answer to my questions so that others may benefit from my question and so the person with the answers will only have to answer the questions once.

For example, when I heard that CC permitting may become law here, that interested me. I didn't wait for someone to tell me how to get one, I found out how to get one. When I first heard about CC insurance, that interested me. I found USCCA and read about what they offered and if it would work for me. I could go on, but the point is these NRA events have been around for a long time, and so has Google. Now you can just type a question into the search bar and find out almost anything you want or ask.

Yeah, I agree with your method of obtaining more information. For example, I went to the website and found the event listing. I read the "more info" page to see if the event would appeal to me. And when the official website listed no information and the people in the know have refused to publicly offer information, I googled it. I found multiple people asking the same question I had. I also found the most common answer to "what goes on at the event" is "It's great and you should go." I found 2 or 3 posts from people who actually talked about different events in other locations from a few years ago. Is that information accurate for a different city in a different year? Well, if it's on the internet, it must be true.

What you view as frustration and I call exasperation is the amounts of folks in this world that talk about how many guns they have, and how much money they spend on their sport, and how much they love to do this or that; but when it comes down to supporting a cause (ANY cause, not just NRA), that directly or indirectly benefits them and their Right to do so; all you hear are cricket chirps.

So you're not frustrated (the feeling of being upset or annoyed) but you're exasperated (a feeling of intense irritation or annoyance). Got it. How do you think other people feel when dealing with you. You offer to provide info in private but refuse to offer info in public. You don't have much time to post yet you've posted about 6 times in this thread about how you have the information you won't share in public. I have trouble understanding how you can't see why people don't support your cause after talking to you. You are far from a good salesman for this cause you are so passionate about.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thank you for the information.

My experience is that they have a ton of raffles, silent auctions, etc. and a big live auction. Prizes include guns of all type: Old, New, "Tactical", Hunting, Expensive, Moderate, Collector, etc., as well as things like hunting trips, LSU/Saints memorabilia, outdoors/hunting stuff, and some lighter items to keep the lady in your life from getting too bored. Steak dinner, cash bar, and many, many like-minded individuals who support the 2nd Amendment.

There's no live band or anything, but the atmosphere is very upbeat, fun, and family-friendly. It's a big event and a good time. The Crowne Plaza is a really nice venue and accommodates the crowd well. The money goes to a good cause: primarily youth shooting sports, if I recall. I missed last year after the date was moved because of the flood, but I have donated a Gun Trust to the silent auction for the past few years. I plan to attend again this year.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Yes, I could have sent a PM. I chose to not send a PM. If I have a question, it is possible that someone else may have the same question. If I were truly concerned about the whatever, why would I overburden the person providing the answer with making them answer the same question multiple times? The answer is that I wouldn't. I would publicly seek the answer to my questions so that others may benefit from my question and so the person with the answers will only have to answer the questions once.

Yeah, I agree with your method of obtaining more information. For example, I went to the website and found the event listing. I read the "more info" page to see if the event would appeal to me. And when the official website listed no information and the people in the know have refused to publicly offer information, I googled it. I found multiple people asking the same question I had. I also found the most common answer to "what goes on at the event" is "It's great and you should go." I found 2 or 3 posts from people who actually talked about different events in other locations from a few years ago. Is that information accurate for a different city in a different year? Well, if it's on the internet, it must be true.

So you're not frustrated (the feeling of being upset or annoyed) but you're exasperated (a feeling of intense irritation or annoyance). Got it. How do you think other people feel when dealing with you. You offer to provide info in private but refuse to offer info in public. You don't have much time to post yet you've posted about 6 times in this thread about how you have the information you won't share in public. I have trouble understanding how you can't see why people don't support your cause after talking to you. You are far from a good salesman for this cause you are so passionate about.

:hi5:

Well said Sir, well said!

BDill

What's This For Again
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Destrehan, LA

Did you go to Google for those definitions? :mamoru:

Top Bottom