Ambi 9mm for a left handed shooter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan6726

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Boyce,La.
    So here goes. I'm suddenly in the market for a 9mm for an everyday carry. My question is for the guys that are left handed. Any recommendations on a particular weapon that would work best for them? Also looking for a holster and any advice is much appreciated.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I bought an M&P Shield with no thumb safety. Works fine. As with any semi-auto, I have to manipulate the mag release with my trigger finger.

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    CZ P-10. Completely ambi., excellent quality, one of the best triggers available on a non-custom handgun, and priced around $450.00. Mine fits perfectly in my Glock 19 holster.
    My second recommendation: Walther PPQ M2. Alien Gear, as well as several other makers make a LH holster for it.

WildBillKelso

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2015
    Northshore/New Orleans
    Sig p320 an a few FN pistols are ambi.

Just mail order or get custom holsters. Most brick and mortar stores understandably don't stock many lefty holsters. Its an exercise in frustration to drive around shopping for lefty holsters. Sometimes tables at gun shows have an okay selection.

Big training question is keeping the magazine release with the more applicable to different guns index finger side or switching it to thumb side if your pistol allows.

Dan6726

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Boyce,La.
    This is good stuff. Thanks to everyone who has replied. Been shooting the stock stuff for so long. Ready to try a different set up.

nolaboy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2015
    New Orleans Lousiana
    So here goes. I'm suddenly in the market for a 9mm for an everyday carry. My question is for the guys that are left handed. Any recommendations on a particular weapon that would work best for them? Also looking for a holster and any advice is much appreciated.
    I carry a shield and I know it has an ambi mag well and trigger. Lol, I know it sux but it's a right hands world. I can't remember the last time I saw a pistol eject brass left. The mnpc series has ambi slide stops and reversible mag release but so do many others. Can't think of single stacks atm that do both ambi slide stops and mag releases.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    Full size, compact? You said everyday carry, open or concealed? IWB, OWB?

I second what others have said, adapting to right weapons isnt something I find overly difficult, if 1911 ambi safety for sure though. I've been quite happy with my springfield xds, raven concealment and bladetech make good stuff for kydex holsters. Custom guys may be better or worse and you'll have to find a specific recommendation you trust and may still find it not up to snuff.

Can't remember if it's bladetech or raven but I've basically got a summer special in kydex to IWB the xds. Being a blocky short gun it can be difficult to get it in a comfortable location for me. I may eventually look for custom kydex or leather with a flatter bodyside profile to reduce pressure points.

IGCHRIS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Madisonville
    If we are talking ambi pistols.....

VP9SK is a great option. We're running $550 on the LE version.

https://www.interstateguns.com/hk-vp9sk-le-9mm-black-700009kle-a5.html

FN FNSc is another great option in you're looking for a double stack pistol.

Smith and Wesson M&P 9c (dual sided slide release, changeable mag release)

Holsters just depend on how you want to carry, but usual suspects include:
    CrossBreed
    Raven Concealment
    Blackpoint
    Off the Grid Concepts

If you are ever in the Hammond area drop by the shop and we can play with all of the above plus more.

JDLEATH

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2017
    Baton Rouge LA
    As a leftie, I generally look for a gun without any thumb safeties. I've just trained to run the mag release and slide stop with my trigger finger. And revolvers are the epitome of ambidextrous. Once you learn how to quickly perform a leftie revolver reload, they are easier to run left handed than right handed, IMO.

Dan6726

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Boyce,La.
    Have any lefties tried out the H&K vp9 compact? I'm really letting it grow on me. Was at the gun show in Alexandria Sunday and pretty much handled every ambidextrous weapon I could find.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom