Best Metal for a Survival Knife

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunluvinlarry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2016
    baton rouge
    Hey guys,
    I'm in the market for a survival knife, and I'm not quite sure what metal to get.

I'm just looking for a good all around knife. Ive heard that D3 is a good metal to use, but I'm looking for informed opinions.

anyone have any info?

thanks in advance!

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I generally tend to prefer a knife I can sharpen in the field on a rock if I have too. Some of the fancy super steels can be hard to sharpen or re-profile without diamond stones.... In carbon, 1095 is good and in stainless, 440C is good.... provided they haven't been hardened too much.... or too little.

Mora and ESEE both have great knives.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    CPM3V. It's powdered metallurgy "near stainless", tough and wears very well.

It will be harder to sharpen than 1095.

One thing I've resigned myself to is diamond and ceramic stones for everything such that I can sharpen whatever I happen to have on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gravelface

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    I-55@I-12
    Just about any knife will take care of you if you take care of it. In our climate I've seen knives rust just sitting out so a stain-resistant knife is preferred. Scrapyard Knife Co is excellent value for hard use field knife at reasonable price. Esee and Becker are great.

A little higher end are Busse, Carothers or just get a custom to your specifications from your preferred steel. David Wesner of Kelsey Creek knives. Bill Siegle makes incredible knives out of 5160.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2015
    Clinton
    Just about any knife will take care of you if you take care of it. In our climate I've seen knives rust just sitting out so a stain-resistant knife is preferred. Scrapyard Knife Co is excellent value for hard use field knife at reasonable price. Esee and Becker are great.

A little higher end are Busse, Carothers or just get a custom to your specifications from your preferred steel. David Wesner of Kelsey Creek knives. Bill Siegle makes incredible knives out of 5160.

I agree, any quality knife of any quality steel is good as long as you take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    I've watched lots of torture tests and Mora survival knives are supposed to be about the toughest you'll get when it comes to survival knives, and they happen to be super cheap too.

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    I really like my ESEE it’s made of 1095 high carbon steel and they offer a life time warranty on any broken blades. The thing is so thick you can pry a car door open. I use mine for battening, carving, splitting branches, gutting fish, cutting leather and just about anything in between. It will rust if not clean but the blade stays sharp it’s a beast...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom