Non-consistent Fire .308

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilkinsonrww

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Scott,La
    This could be the wrong place, maybe not? My buddy has a 308 Remington bolt that he believes has a problem with the firing pin. It doesn't go bang everytime. He reloads the same brass over and over. Ole country boy and he's say he shoots it till it splits.
    I told him I thought the brass was the problem and asked if he tried shooting a box of factory loads to see if it fired everytime, no he didnt.
    Thoughts or suggestions, with the vague information i have at this time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    If it were mine and there is no issue chambering and ejecting loaded rounds I would tear the bolt down and clean/inspect it.

I had a ruger 77 that did that once never did it again after I broke the bolt down and cleaned it.

Could be bad primers?

wilkinsonrww

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Scott,La
    From what he told me last night he did break down the bolt and cleaned everything.
    Hes saying when it doesnt fire there isnt a mark on the primer, like it isnt making contact. Thats why i was thinking brass, i dont know enough about reloads to be confident saying thats the problem.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    If he reloads I could be that the primer is not fully seated and the firing pin pushes the primer all the way in and uses energy to set the primer and doesn't have enough to set it off. However, since you said it has no marks that's probably not the issue. First thing I would do is change the firing pins spring. My buddy's gun was not firing at a match 2 weeks ago. We took the spring out and changed it Saturday night (2 day match) and the new one was about 1 inch longer. Day 2 everything went bang. If you keep your bolt rifle cocked (which most people do and don't even know it) then the firing pin spring is compressed all the time sitting in the safe. You need to dryfire the rifle before putting it up so the spring is released.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Check function with a couple boxes of factory ammo, if the problem persists send it to Remington to fix. If not, probably reloads. Maybe too much headspace and the rounds are sitting too far from the bolt face?

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    Check function with a couple boxes of factory ammo, if the problem persists send it to Remington to fix. If not, probably reloads. Maybe too much headspace and the rounds are sitting too far from the bolt face?

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

If he is full length resizing he may have to check overall length of casing. May be over doing it a bit causing too much headspace. Ck. firing pin length and spring tension.

wilkinsonrww

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Scott,La
    Thanks for the responses, his trigger failed. I dont have details, but he did text me to say the trigger broke somewhere.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom