The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    35-50gr v-max, polymer tipped, varmint hunting type bullets.

From what I've seen in testing videos, (not my tests) these thin jacketed bullets explode when they hit anything. So a miss will blow up on the first piece of Sheetrock or interior door, and have little energy left to cause harm to anyone or thing in the next room.

Ballistic gel shows these lightweight bullets cause a HUGE permenent wound cavity!
    Although 5"-9" penetration is "not acceptable" for personal defense, a cabbage ball sized hole in someone's abdomen should make them rethink what their doing!

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    35-50gr v-max, polymer tipped, varmint hunting type bullets.

From what I've seen in testing videos, (not my tests) these thin jacketed bullets explode when they hit anything. So a miss will blow up on the first piece of Sheetrock or interior door, and have little energy left to cause harm to anyone or thing in the next room.

Ballistic gel shows these lightweight bullets cause a HUGE permenent wound cavity!
    Although 5"-9" penetration is "not acceptable" for personal defense, a cabbage ball sized hole in someone's abdomen should make them rethink what their doing!

Hmmm, all I have is standard 55g. I may need a box or two of this stuff

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Any cheap soft point or ballistic tip would work. I prefer 60gr or heavier for a little better penetration ability. To me tho the number one thing for using a rifle indoors is sound, for 2 reasons. One, permanent hearing damage and two, disorientation from what would essentially be a flash-bang from every shot. So electric ears is a must have in my mind. Unless you have a suppressor, but it would still be loud.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    To me tho the number one thing for using a rifle indoors is sound, for 2 reasons. One, permanent hearing damage and two, disorientation from what would essentially be a flash-bang from every shot. So electric ears is a must have in my mind. Unless you have a suppressor, but it would still be loud.

I won't go into detail, but I have fired a LOUD gun indoors, and the sound and ringing in my ears wasn't noticed until 10-15 mins later when the adrenaline wore off.

I wouldn't make that my primary focus. To me it's not harming family members while trying to protect them.

Flash is more of an issue than sound.

Of course this is just all my personal opinion.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    When it comes down to it, living through the "situation" is the most important aspect! Everything else is just trade offs to survive it!
    I would rather be living with lesser hearing and lesser vision than deceased with perfect hearing and perfect vision! ;)

Last edited:

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I use to worry about that until the same guys who use and/ or used it for a living would always say the same thing. As long as it functions in your gun for home defense, it should not really matter. (Minus tracers, steel penetrators, etc..) The velocity is so high that that round will cause incredible damage unlike most pistol rounds that like to poke nice clean holes and go through multi layers of drywall. Heavier grain bullets have been recommended as better man stoppers though.

Shooting more than 8k rds of .556/.223 a year at classes with mostly Wolf/Tula; my guns run it no problem. So I'm confident in its reliability. I have mags with TAP and Gold Dots (bought years ago) as well as the Russian steel case. In the dark half asleep, I would have no worry grabbing any of those loaded mags and expecting them to do what I expect them to.

I get it. It's fun to try and figure out what's the best round, lube, trigger, gun, widget etc..... Spoiler alert! Ready?

THERE IS NO MAGIC WIDGET THAT DOES IT ALL. I'll steal my teacher and good friends phrase: "Indians NOT arrows" in other words "software not hardware". Get out and use what you have and learn from others willing to teach. See it for yourself.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I won't go into detail, but I have fired a LOUD gun indoors, and the sound and ringing in my ears wasn't noticed until 10-15 mins later when the adrenaline wore off.

I wouldn't make that my primary focus. To me it's not harming family members while trying to protect them.

Flash is more of an issue than sound.

Of course this is just all my personal opinion.

I can't say I agree with you here. I have fired a snub nose 38 with +p ammo OUTSIDE without ear pro and I was def for a few seconds and it scared the **** out of me because it was so loud. Semi auto pistols don't bother me but that was something I won't forget and about as loud as an ar15 is to my ears.
    So knowing that, for me, electric ear pro is a must so I can remove something that may draw my focus away from a threat. In addition, the BG will be getting ALL of the flash-bang effect where as I will get virtually none by comparison.
    Of course all of this is assuming they can gain entry in the first place ;)

My $0.02

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I can't say I agree with you here. I have fired a snub nose 38 with +p ammo OUTSIDE without ear pro and I was def for a few seconds and it scared the **** out of me because it was so loud. Semi auto pistols don't bother me but that was something I won't forget and about as loud as an ar15 is to my ears.
    So knowing that, for me, electric ear pro is a must so I can remove something that may draw my focus away from a threat. In addition, the BG will be getting ALL of the flash-bang effect where as I will get virtually none by comparison.
    Of course all of this is assuming they can gain entry in the first place ;)

My $0.02

"auditory occlusion" Its a real thing.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I was given a BCM 5.56 last week it has a 1:7 twist and never been fired. I don't know what I will be trying in it.

Top Bottom