Sig P320 Recall? Sig update.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Having computer problems but the Firearms Blog is saying there is a recall on Sig P320 pistols. Posted Today.

Sig update 08/04/2017. Post #38.

Last edited:

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    I saw that too:

Sig Sauer has identified that there is a defect in the P320 handgun that could cause the weapon system to go off when dropped. The Sig Sauer P320 was approved for primary duty, secondary primary duty, and back-up use. The Firearms Training Center is currently working with Sig Sauer to obtain a solution for the safety issue. Until Sig Sauer is able to find a solution to the safety issue, the Sig Sauer P320 is no longer approved by the ****** Police Department for any use.

Those officers that currently have a Sig Sauer P320 as a primary duty weapon will have the following two options:

Option 1 – Go to the Firearms Training Center on Monday, July 31st , during business hours, to be issued a city Sig Sauer P226 and qualify with that weapon.

Option 2 – Purchase another city approved weapon and respond to the Range on Monday, July 31st , during business hours, to qualify with that weapon.

Until getting another weapon and qualifying, officers need to practice increased safety with these weapon systems.

The Firearms Training Center staff is working diligently with Sig Sauer to obtain a solution and will keep officers informed of the status.

Solution: Stick to the Sig Sauer P226. Never had a problem with the P226.

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    If that's true then glock was RIGHT.. EVERYONE thought glock was being sore losers for loseing the contract to sig. glock kept complaing that the army didn't complete the tests and all glock wanted is for the testing to be completed so our military members would NOT be out in war with guns that can't handle it..when glock said this,people where like 'glock is just making things up.

I'm far from a glock fanboy but glock should of been the new armies gun..there track record is great

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    For S&G's, we tested it yesterday (with snap caps)... the P320 with a round in the chamber will fire when dropped. However, it states in the manual that this will happen.

Page 25 of the manual...
    View attachment 72242

So good luck waiting on an official SIG recall.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    For S&G's, we tested it yesterday (with snap caps)... the P320 with a round in the chamber will fire when dropped. However, it states in the manual that this will happen.

Page 25 of the manual...
    View attachment 72242

So good luck waiting on an official SIG recall.

Wow what a way to cover your own bum. Guess Sig isn't what they used to be. And I agree with the poster above, I'm not a Glock fanboy but I use them cuz they just work and I shoot them well. The 17 should have been the new military side arm, as much as I love the Beretta 92 series.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

Blaize

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2016
    Saint amant
    I read that article also, it looks like the recall is from the Dallas PD, not Sig themselves. Someone from the PD reported that Sig had told them of the recall but never officially issued one, which is why they issued the recall in the first place.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Oh, quick question as I've never seen one disassembled, do these not have firing pin safety's built in? How do they engage?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I read that article also, it looks like the recall is from the Dallas PD, not Sig themselves. Someone from the PD reported that Sig had told them of the recall but never officially issued one, which is why they issued the recall in the first place.

That is why I put a question mark in the original post. Firearms companies like to fix the issues without referring to them as a recall.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    That is why I put a question mark in the original post. Firearms companies like to fix the issues without referring to them as a recall.

Oh they're not fixing it... it's not a "problem"... they took the time to print it in the manual!! That means its "NORMAL FUNCTIONALITY" haha.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Oh they're not fixing it... it's not a "problem"... they took the time to print it in the manual!! That means its "NORMAL FUNCTIONALITY" haha.

Once word gets out and people stop buying it will get fixed or discontinued. Either way problem solved. But there could be a MASSIVE lawsuit if someone gets killed because of it. As far as I know it is the only modern firearm that will fire if dropped, excluding factory defective examples. Although it can be argued that the entire p320 line is defective.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Once word gets out and people stop buying it will get fixed or discontinued. Either way problem solved. But there could be a MASSIVE lawsuit if someone gets killed because of it. As far as I know it is the only modern firearm that will fire if dropped, excluding factory defective examples. Although it can be argued that the entire p320 line is defective.

I think the opposite about the lawsuits... the news getting out will actually bring attention to the fact that it is NORMAL OPERATION of the firearm. There is NO MERIT for a lawsuit when they release the firearm and it clearly states in the manual (that it also states on the firearm, box, etc. to read in its entirety prior to operation) that it WILL FIRE IF DROPPED. Ignorance of the functionality is on the purchaser and no excuse at that point... no liability to the manufacturer. Now if they KNEW that it functioned in that manor and withheld the information, that's an entirely different story... but not the case here.

Also, to clarify your comments... its not a "defect" if it is a noted function of the product.

Now, if Sig wants to implement a "fix" or "modification" to the firearm... they can also CHARGE for it because its adding a function to the firearm that doesn't exist in the initial design. If they do or not is their call... will it effect sales? Possibly... will it effect their contract with the Military? I doubt it... the Military version has a manual safety.

Again, the fact that no one knew about it shows that NO ONE READS THE OWNERS MANUAL!!! hahaha... (but that's not Sig's responsibility to ensure they do!)

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I think the opposite about the lawsuits... the news getting out will actually bring attention to the fact that it is NORMAL OPERATION of the firearm. There is NO MERIT for a lawsuit when they release the firearm and it clearly states in the manual (that it also states on the firearm, box, etc. to read in its entirety prior to operation) that it WILL FIRE IF DROPPED. Ignorance of the functionality is on the purchaser and no excuse at that point... no liability to the manufacturer. Now if they KNEW that it functioned in that manor and withheld the information, that's an entirely different story... but not the case here.

Also, to clarify your comments... its not a "defect" if it is a noted function of the product.

Now, if Sig wants to implement a "fix" or "modification" to the firearm... they can also CHARGE for it because its adding a function to the firearm that doesn't exist in the initial design. If they do or not is their call... will it effect sales? Possibly... will it effect their contract with the Military? I doubt it... the Military version has a manual safety.

Again, the fact that no one knew about it shows that NO ONE READS THE OWNERS MANUAL!!! hahaha... (but that's not Sig's responsibility to ensure they do!)

I see your point about it being plastered all over to read the manual. However I can't see how it could be intentional to design the p320 to discharge if dropped. For example, what if I fall on it? Say someone we're to trip and land hard enough on the gun to make it fire. Perhaps it has to do with having the manual safety removed and they didn't bother to change anything else, who knows. Maybe they were loosing too much in the R&D and had to push it out early and slapped warnings on there as a bandaid.

Regardless I cannot call it anything but defective if a firearm of any kind will fire without the trigger being pulled. Were not in 1917 anymore, guys. Kind of like a car that works just fine unless you get rear ended, then it catches fire (looking at you, Ford).

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I see your point about it being plastered all over to read the manual. However I can't see how it could be intentional to design the p320 to discharge if dropped. For example, what if I fall on it? Say someone we're to trip and land hard enough on the gun to make it fire. Perhaps it has to do with having the manual safety removed and they didn't bother to change anything else, who knows. Maybe they were loosing too much in the R&D and had to push it out early and slapped warnings on there as a bandaid.

Regardless I cannot call it anything but defective if a firearm of any kind will fire without the trigger being pulled. Were not in 1917 anymore, guys. Kind of like a car that works just fine unless you get rear ended, then it catches fire (looking at you, Ford).

I'd have to agree. Its just one of those "Hey it hurts when I do this." -- "Well then don't do that" kindof things.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    "Ignorance of the functionality is on the purchaser and no excuse at that point... no liability to the manufacturer. Now if they KNEW that it functioned in that manor and withheld the information, that's an entirely different story."

Whattttttt???

You cant be serious.Sig should be sued till their out of biz ,period.Any company that would even attempt
    to put something like " This weapon will fire if dropped and to lie and say "" Any weapon can fire when
    dropped" is just an all out lie.

I don't own any weapon ,firearm or otherwise that would discharge without
    pulling the trigger,weather it be a crossbow,firearm or bb gun.

Sig should loose the contract .Be sued till their blued and run out of biz on a rail.We need more
    laws on what a firearm company can and can not produce.This is completely redundant to all
    other firearm companies out their that actually do care about their production and safety of
    their firearms.

I own 1 sig and it just went up for sale on GB.I will not ,nor should anyone tolerate this behavior
    and antics of any company that would lie ,cheat and misguide the public.

I'm outraged and I will be telling everyone that I know,see,and I will be reporting it to all gun
    and gun related sites,company's and business's.

There is no excuse for such ignorance in any firearm company.They have to be held
    responsible for their misguided practices.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Sig P320 Recall?

"Ignorance of the functionality is on the purchaser and no excuse at that point... no liability to the manufacturer. Now if they KNEW that it functioned in that manor and withheld the information, that's an entirely different story."

Whattttttt???

You cant be serious.Sig should be sued till their out of biz ,period.Any company that would even attempt
    to put something like " This weapon will fire if dropped and to lie and say "" Any weapon can fire when

Sig should loose the contract .Be sued till their blued and run out of biz on a rail.We need more
    laws on what a firearm company can and can not produce.This is completely redundant to all
    other firearm companies out their that actually do care about their production and safety of
    their firearms.

I own 1 sig and it just went up for sale on GB.I will not ,nor should anyone tolerate this behavior

I'm outraged and I will be telling everyone that I know,see,and I will be reporting it to all gun

There is no excuse for such ignorance in any firearm company.They have to be held

Aside from the blatant lie "any weapon can fire if dropped", the issue is the unsafe and apparently lazy way they dealt with it. A warning on one page in the manual. And we do not need more laws for crying out loud. And Sig should not be sued unless this leads to an injury or fatality. Even then the warning may be enough to cover themselves.

However the responsible and ethical thing to do is what Springfield did when the XDS had a similar problem; inform owners, advise they do not load it until a recall has been issued for a fix, and fix the damn guns. Until that happens they are on my sh*t list.

Edited for correcting "dig" to "Sig", damn iPhone lol.

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish

Whattttttt???

their firearms.

No offense or anything but, apparently you need to review how the civil legal system works by sitting in on as many legal civil product liability cases as you can. Not taking up for sig as I never owned one of their firearms nor had the desire to but I agree that they are not handling it properly. And I would be willing to bet their "legal eagles" have their bases covered fairly well. Oh, just a sugestion, try to sell your sig before you go spouting off about how horrible it and reckless the sig company is. It might hurt your chances of "unloading" it. ;)

Last edited:

SigSour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2017
    Baton Rouge
    Today I asked one of the larger gunsmiths in the state about it and he said the issue arose when Dallas PD read in the manual that it may be fired if dropped. It doesn't look like an incident happened that caused their concern. Also I doubt it would have made it through the Army's trials, or even out of the factory, with this issue. Obviously I have a slight bias but I have never had any issues with mine, nor has anyone else I've met at my range as far as functionality goes. I did have an optics issue but sig fixed it.

Last edited:

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    Today I asked one of the larger gunsmiths in the state about it and he said the issue arose when Dallas PD read in the manual that it may be fired if dropped. It doesn't look like an incident happened that caused their concern. Also I doubt it would have made it through the Army's trials, or even out of the factory, with this issue. Obviously I have a slight bias but I have never had any issues with mine, nor has anyone else I've met at my range as far as functionality goes. I did have an optics issue but sig fixed it.

That is the whole point ,if the gov trials would have been completed ,they would have known.That is what glock was squawking about and you cant blame them.

To let a company with any wording such as that in their manual should never ,ever get any contract withany gov agency,especially our guys on the front line.Oh sorry,I dropped my weapon due to the enemy firing at me and I just so happened to be on concrete and the firearm went off and killed my best buddy next tome on the line.Yea..that will look good on the morning yahoo page.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom