30 caliber can suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    I won a bet with my wife last month and now I get to get a new suppressor.

I would like it to be for both my 10.5" 300 BLK as well as my Remington 700 in .308.

I have looked at the new Mystic X but can't really find any information/videos of the new core being shot through a .308 so I'm not sure how it will do. I have also looked a the Griffin Aramament Optimus and like both of them for there multiple caliber ability. I already have an M4-2000 for my 5.56 AR so I don't need this one to for that but would be nice to use it on .22lr.

I'm not really sure which to go with, or if there is a better option out there so I figured I would ask.

So, if you were in my shoes, what 30 cal can would you get with main focus being for 10.5" 300 BLK and Remington 700 in .308?

Also, side question for dealers on here. Do suppressors fall under the sales tax holiday that is coming up in September?

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I won a bet with my wife last month and now I get to get a new suppressor.

I would like it to be for both my 10.5" 300 BLK as well as my Remington 700 in .308.

I have looked at the new Mystic X but can't really find any information/videos of the new core being shot through a .308 so I'm not sure how it will do. I have also looked a the Griffin Aramament Optimus and like both of them for there multiple caliber ability. I already have an M4-2000 for my 5.56 AR so I don't need this one to for that but would be nice to use it on .22lr.

I'm not really sure which to go with, or if there is a better option out there so I figured I would ask.

So, if you were in my shoes, what 30 cal can would you get with main focus being for 10.5" 300 BLK and Remington 700 in .308?

Also, side question for dealers on here. Do suppressors fall under the sales tax holiday that is coming up in September?

I prefer offerings from Silencerco, Dead Air, and Q. Depending upon your priorities and preferences there are a lot of different ways you can go. We have a wide variety of in stock cans and it helps to hold them and look at them side by side.

As long as the legislature doesn't kill the reduced tax for the first $2500 2A holiday in September, we will feature it as a tax free holiday (eating the 3%) and will start taking layaway orders for that holiday about two weeks in advance with final payment due that holiday weekend as prescribed under state law. Suppressors, tax stamps, gun trusts, and accessories will all come under said holiday. We can also 0% finance those purchases with approved credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I love silencerco!!! I have the omega30 and the hybrid, I will say the omega 30 is a little bit quiter and lighter on my .308's,but with the hybrid I can us it on any pistol up to 45, and any rifle from 22 up to 45/70, with that being said I'm waiting on another hybrid stamp to come in

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    Thanks for the input so far. Guess I have some more research to do over the next couple of weeks.

Kenny, did they change the tax holiday weekend? Last year it was the first weekend of September. Is it now November?

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Thanks for the input so far. Guess I have some more research to do over the next couple of weeks.

Kenny, did they change the tax holiday weekend? Last year it was the first weekend of September. Is it now November?

Yes, I thought the tax holiday was the first week in September?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    This is true!!!i always thought of it as construction in the plant.... Man up big for a turnaround, and when you get to commission /start up, start laying off all the extra or transfer to other jobs....lol
    LOL. They have trimmed a lot of fat. But time will tell.

Last edited:

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Yes, I thought the tax holiday was the first week in September?

You guys are correct. Either I had a brain fart or typed so poorly that autocorrect guessed the wrong month. LOL.

SCO is carrying a lot of debt but their layoffs rightsized them and I think they'll be around for a while. They carried about 82% of the market last year. Gemtech was just bought by S&W but I am not in love with any of their QD cans right now. Their director of new product development is a friend of mine and I've told him that. I do expect big things from them moving forward.

The real company to watch right now is Q. Their stuff is blowing me away.

Loudog

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    +1 for the omega30. I did a bunch of research when i bought mine a year and a half ago and it seemed like one of the best at the time. Not sure of any new players but I'd imagine its still top 3 30cal cans.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    pick two: Lightweight, quiet, cheap

I still like the specwar 7.62. tough as anything and quieter than an omega 30.

I also own the following: omega 30, OSS can, tbac ultra 9, multiple octane 45hds, gemtech 300BLK and various others.

I just bought both the short and long variants of Q's " Nelson" cans.

the specwar is still my quietest can. The omega 30 is half the weight and just a tad louder. the omega is almost 2x the cost of the specwar 762 right now.

The Q cans are quiet and light/er than any other 30 cal can i have.

IMO Silencerco has the best customer service in the business. not the lightest, or quietest.

TBAC cans are ultra quiet, but also ultra high back pressure. if this is for a gasser, ever, pick something else.

the OSS can is less about quiet and more about "reduction".

Just be forewarned if you choose the Q cans... they are large diameter cans. they most likely will not fit under a handguard that is readily available in the marketplace.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    First off, I think NOShooter is right on point. He has alot of toys to speak on behalf of. ( Yeah...im jealous. LOL!)

I have the Omega. I love it. It does what it is supposed to do and does it very well.

These discussions just beg more and more for the organization of a Bayoushooter NFA show and tell day soon.....sponsors...where yat?!

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Just an FYI for anyone that reads NOshooter's post, Specwars have been discontinued. I have been negotiating with distributors and buying their inventory at steep discounts and passing them on to clients. What used to be a great buy at $825, is a steal at $650. And if you buy another Silencerco can at the same time, you get a Specwar for $500. Hurry though I only have about 20 left and when they are gone, they are gone.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    First off, I think NOShooter is right on point. He has alot of toys to speak on behalf of. ( Yeah...im jealous. LOL!)

I have the Omega. I love it. It does what it is supposed to do and does it very well.

These discussions just beg more and more for the organization of a Bayoushooter NFA show and tell day soon.....sponsors...where yat?!

I will need to borrow someone's pickup truck if you want me to bring all of it to show and tell. :D

mpl006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Ruston
    pick two: Lightweight, quiet, cheap

I still like the specwar 7.62. tough as anything and quieter than an omega 30.

I also own the following: omega 30, OSS can, tbac ultra 9, multiple octane 45hds, gemtech 300BLK and various others.

I just bought both the short and long variants of Q's " Nelson" cans.

the specwar is still my quietest can. The omega 30 is half the weight and just a tad louder. the omega is almost 2x the cost of the specwar 762 right now.

The Q cans are quiet and light/er than any other 30 cal can i have.

IMO Silencerco has the best customer service in the business. not the lightest, or quietest.

TBAC cans are ultra quiet, but also ultra high back pressure. if this is for a gasser, ever, pick something else.

the OSS can is less about quiet and more about "reduction".

Just be forewarned if you choose the Q cans... they are large diameter cans. they most likely will not fit under a handguard that is readily available in the marketplace.

How do the Q cans compare to the specwar and omega? The handguard I have on my 300blk sits just behind the shoulder on the barrel threads. Looking at pictures and video of the cans it appears as though the wrench flats sit against the barrel shoulder so it should be fine? I would definitely want to look at it closer, and in person, to see though.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    they are lighter than the omega and seriously lighter than the specwar. Q also makes 2 QD cans. I chose direct thread based on putting one on a long range rifle and the other on my mutant sbr.

I'm going to have to machine the handguard on my mutant. the OD of the nelson cans is 1.75", 1.8" ID on the handguardp. it is too close for comfort ( I test fit it at meplat).

The Q cans are shorter, but have more volume based on the OD. The wrench flats on the half nelson are about 1/2", so you should be fine.

'

lp11

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Livingston Parish
    Suppressor

I'm running a Thunderbeast 30 p1, I know these are an older model , but been pleased with it . Been thinking of sending it back for the recore .

Top Bottom