Has anyone ever seen an AR jam like this before?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigSour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2017
    Baton Rouge
    My friends AR had this malfunction and I have never seen anything like it. This happened on the third magazine ever put through the firearm. Has anyone seen this before?

2hxlvrk.jpg
    [/IMG]
    svp7gy.jpg
    [/IMG]

SigSour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2017
    Baton Rouge
    The round is backwards in the chamber, above the BCG. Brand new Delton Sport. He's a vet and very experienced with firearms and said he didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Could be a weak ejector spring or stuck ejector. Extractor is pulling the case out of the chamber but it's not being kicked out.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    A first for me also. There is not enough room for the round to flip 180. I believe it would have to start in the mag that way.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Is that a live round? If so, the jam is due to operator error.
    Most malfunctions in ARs are caused by three things.#1 Bad ammo, #2 bad mags and #3 operator error. #3 is most often a contributing factor to error #1 and #2.

SigSour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2017
    Baton Rouge
    Is that a live round? If so, the jam is due to operator error.
    Most malfunctions in ARs are caused by three things.#1 Bad ammo, #2 bad mags and #3 operator error. #3 is most often a contributing factor to error #1 and #2.

My theory is its a fired casing that somehow never ejected, or possibly bounced back in (hes a lefty), and got stuck on top of the BCG. Which is odd that a BCG would have a loose enough tolerance to allow a casing to get stuck on top of it. He was just firing at a normal/slow pace and is by no means a beginner.

Last edited:

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    You need a brass punch and a hammer. Place the tip of the punch at the front of the bolt carrier and knock it to the rear.
    If you need help, bring it to me.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    If the brass markings on the bolt lugs and bolt carrier were caused from just firing, then he has a problem. His mag is to far up in the mag well. This could br caused by a few things. Bad mag, or out of spec upper or lower.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    My theory is its a fired casing that somehow never ejected, or possibly bounced back in (hes a lefty), and got stuck on top of the BCG. Which is odd that a BCG would have a loose enough tolerance to allow a casing to get stuck on top of it. He was just firing at a normal/slow pace and is by no means a beginner.

I was confused, until reply #9, it was referred to as a round, not a case.

BCG tolerance shouldn't be an issue, as a bullet or case neck will fit in the channel above the BCG.

Candyman may have nailed it as those don't look like 3rd mag normal wear marks on the bottom of the carrier.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Yup. Not a common malfunction but learned how to clear it at a WARFIGHTER class. Easy. Stick your fingers up mag well and press the face of the bolt back. While keeping pressure upward chop the charging handle until it seats then pull the charging handle back. The bolt will function as it should and the bcg will move back. The round should fall loose. If not, finger **** it and tickle it. It will fall out.

Last edited:

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    Yup. Not a common malfunction but learned how to clear it at a WARFIGHTER class. Easy. Stick your fingers up mag well and press the face of the bolt back. While keeping pressure upward chop the charging handle until it seats then pull the charging handle back. The bolt will function as it should and the bcg will move back. The round should fall loose. If not, finger **** it and tickle it. It will fall out.

Yes indeed haha, love the last description on handling this situation. Been a while since I've heard that expression.

Top Bottom