What modern day firearms would you consider collectable?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jiggy205

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jun 10, 2014
    New Orleans
    Hey guys Iv been thinking about this for awhile. What newer firearms would we consider collectable (less then 25 years old). We all have our wish list guns but what will really be worth something later on. I have a vepr in 54r which is now banned. Aside for your vintage stuff what would you consider collectable and a custom $2000 glock is not a collectable firearm lol

Last edited:

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    A few that come to mind such as: Colt Python, Lawman, Trooper, Diamond Back, Detective Special, Series 70 Government 45acp, Smith Mdl 36, 37, 28. Just a few that come to mind at the moment.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    How modern day are we talking?

Series 70 9mm 1911
    Colt SP1
    Walther PP, PPK & PPK/s models that are fairly "collectible"
    Mint East German Makarov
    East German Sig Sauers
    Original KelTec Sub-9 (All-Metal precursor to the Sub-2000)
    Sig Sauer P229 Legion
    Sig Sauer 551A1

It just depends on what you'd consider "Modern Day". About the "newest" collectible I have have is a Glock 17 Gen 1.

Last edited:

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Gen 1 Glock, HS2000, East German Sig, Italian Beretta 92, East German makarov (if I spelled that right), polytech AK, VEPRs, FN FS2000 ( now discontinued I believe), authentic Styer AUG. there's more but that's just off the top of my head. I would LOVE to have an AUG

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    Speaking of the VEPR, wish I could have gotten my hands on a 12 and 54R. Now they are overpriced, thanks US gov. I thought since we had the executive and majority in house and senate these firearm bans wouldn't happen? Same old .gov IMO.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    I think of CZs. They make them or have made them at one time or another in just about configuration of steel or aluminum, safety or decocker, rail or no rail, black or stainless finish, compact or fullsize. There's also a few variances in frame shape. Some of the production runs are very short making certain configurations relatively rare. There are a bunch of weird one-off variations that have been produced over the years. The stories behind certain models are interesting. To me that is collectible.

For example:
    I have a steel-framed, railed, compact with a safety which was recently made, and I think is pretty neat. It's not in their catalog, but it was made available as a contract over-run that someone wanted them to make. It's a great shooter and my current EDC piece. But if it had an aluminum frame...

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    My girl has the Sig Sauer P938 "Special Limited Edition" with the Rainbow slide. Would that be considered collectible since it's a limited special edition?

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    With cars, the ones that everyone wanted, but few could afford, have done well. Look at early vettes.

The Colt USMC 1911 fits that bill. Maybe the Sig Legion, or some customs. Be prepared for a long wait.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    AIAW, Barrett 82A1, HK PSG1, Desert Eagle VII in .50ae, and a Ritten Precision .308 with specific pipe wrench teeth marks on the barrel (one of a kind)...

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Hey guys Iv been thinking about this for awhile. What newer firearms would we consider collectable (less then 25 years old). We all have our wish list guns but what will really be worth something later on. I have a vepr in 54r which is now banned. Aside for your vintage stuff what would you consider collectable and a custom $2000 glock is not a collectable firearm lol

In order for something to increase in value the demand has to be higher than supply. So, any gun with a limited supply (likely no longer produced) with a high demand would make a good collectible. If by "modern day" you mean currently being produced then I would say not many as the price is probably already adjusted for the current supply/demand. If you wanted to take a gamble on some currently produce guns I would look at the guns that are in short supply now with a high demand, maybe they will increase in value over the next 50 years. Alternatively, you could invest in guns that are already collectible and watch them further appreciate in value.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    25 years is not very far back - I've got pants and shirts and drive a couple trucks older than 1992.
    Pre-lock S&W revolvers Exc to Mint condition. Boxes are a plus
    Pre-safety Marlin lever actions Exc to Mint condition. Boxes are a plus
    Recently discontinued model from high-quality manufacturer.

Recent foreign C&R imports since 1992 still available at a reasonable price, but actually older than 25 years. Condition means a lot, so Very Good to Mint condition:
    Czech CZ52 pistols and VZ52 rifles
    East German Makarov and original military Russian Makarovs
    Swedish Mausers, carbines valued more than M96 rifles
    Swiss rifles
    Finnish Mosin-Nagants, especially rarer versions
    Swedish Jlungman AG-42 and the Egyptian Hakim copy
    French MAS49
    Russian SKS
    Russian Mosin-Nagants and Tokarovs marked "Peter the Great"

Domestic C&Rs still available at reasonable prices
    CMP rifles (and hopefully in the future pistols) with DCM/CMP certificates.

You won't get rich unless you're lucky, but these should be very safe investments that earn 4-8% per year if you don't overpay at the purchase.

Domestic rifles and pistols susceptible to a future ban when the next liberal president is elected could be a good buy. Right now, AR-15s, normal capacity mags and ammo are at the lowest price in years. But planning for future panics or bans is risky, and you would actually have to sell the item at the right moment to make a good return on your investment. If you panic-bought an AR-15 during the Obama years, it will take you a good while to recover your purchase price.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom