What modern day firearms would you consider collectable?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Today most collectible guns are those made with machined steel and walnut. "Modern" guns use a lot of aluminum and plastic. They work well, granted, but don't have the feel and craftsmanship of the traditional guns. So I doubt in 50 years if anyone will say, This is my grandpa's AR!! Just my 2 cents.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    i have a perfect copy of a delisle carbine that I'd say was a good buy. The last offer that i got on it was around a 300% increase in value in 24 months.

I would also say that I believe the CZ TS Orange pistols will appreciate, if you bought right.

the first round of the glock vickers 17s and 19s seem to be appreciating as well. I was chastised by a friend of mine when he noticed my vickers 19 in my holster. " thats too valuable to carry".

Kimber series I pistols are also a good buy.

in the current climate, 30 round AR mags are a great buy to sit on. you have to know that the next potus will more than likely be a non-gun-friendly person and subsequent market restriction will happen.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    If you can afford it buy original JM marlins and original winchesters. They will appreciate in value....all ready have I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I have a new in the box DPMS AR15 sitting in the safe . It's just a Democrat majority in Congress away from being " collectible " .

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Good question.

Here's what will not be collectible: the made-to-be-collectible "tribute" guns that litter the pages of the American Rifleman. I'm also not sure that the distributor-exclusives (like Talo) will do that much in terms of value, with perhaps a few rare exceptions. The modern-day Henry rifles are a good example of this, and while I applaud their dedication to lever actions, I see a lot of their stuff sitting on tables at gun shows (and not a lot of credit cards coming out of wallets for them). So, I'd probably avoid Henry if I was looking for an investment firearm.

Hand-engraved guns from reputable engravers will continue to appreciate in value, as will high-end guns from makers like Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, etc. There's no big surprise here since the high-end of almost any collecting genre is what will retain the most value in the long run.

In terms of the more affordable stuff: I actually think early (1st and 2nd generation) Glocks will slowly appreciate in value. They'll need to be in their original configuration (especially the plastics, which people seem to have a penchant for mutilating), but we can already see clean original examples getting respectable prices in the collecting community. For a corollary, look at what 1980's Honda Civics and Volkswagen Rabbits/Golfs sell for now -- especially the ones that were spared the fate of high-school hot-rodders.

Legislation will also drive collectible value. When we get another Democratic majority federal government (and at some point we will), we'll see a spike in the value of AR's, AK's, and whatever else the bleeding-hearts determine to be "bad." If "assault weapons" get lumped into the same category as full automatics ("banned" with existing guns grandfathered in as NFA registered weapons), then we will see a steady rise in their value, just as we did with pre-1986 select fire automatics.

I also think that Rugers are one of the most under-appreciated collectibles of the gun world. I'm not sure that they'll ever take the place of Colt, but I think it's worth tucking away a few--especially their early pieces. They may not skyrocket in value (barring any legislative stupidity that could make almost anything collectible), but they'll easily hold their own.

Mike

Last edited:

benelli_t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    Louisiana
    I also think that Rugers are one of the most under-appreciated collectibles of the gun world. I'm not sure that they'll ever take the place of Colt said:
    I agree...their earlier pieces are holding there own.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I think older S&W are starting to go up in value. Not Colt Revolver $ but good $
    70 series Colts
    I have n older Colt SP1 looks like they are giing up or have as well. I consider the modern. I have one along with Colt scopes that wing nut to the carry handle

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I also think that Rugers are one of the most under-appreciated collectibles of the gun world. I'm not sure that they'll ever take the place of Colt, but I think it's worth tucking away a few--especially their early pieces. They may not skyrocket in value (barring any legislative stupidity that could make almost anything collectible), but they'll easily hold their own.

Mike
    My Old Army

Attachments

• Old Army-3_zps4s5pscn5.jpg
      Old Army-3_zps4s5pscn5.jpg
      29.3 KB · Views: 79
    • OldArmy-4_zpskz118js9.jpg
      OldArmy-4_zpskz118js9.jpg
      45.5 KB · Views: 129
    Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My Old Army

Beautiful. For a fraction of the cost of an old Colt, you got a gun that looks just as good, that can safely shoot pretty much anything that you can stuff down the pipe, and will steadily appreciate in value.

I have a Super Blackhawk with that ridiculous 10 1/2" barrel. People laugh when I pull it out at the range ... and then I let them try it, and they want one.

Mike

Top Bottom