Sig Update on fix for P320 Pistols.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Well, it didnt take that long!

http://www.guns.com/2017/08/09/sig-...86c&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

My question is, why was not the firearm secured in the holster to keep it from falling out of it? Not taking sides either way on this one but seems to be some fault both ways.

The way it is worded makes me think that the holster itself detached from the officer and the gun fell and landed still holstered. Probably some kind of paddle holster, maybe got snagged on the seatbelt and pulled from the belt.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Glock made an "Upgrade" to the Gen 2 Model 19 for the exact same reason. Shipping was not covered. Cost me $63.00.

I talked to Glock directly and they told me yes, it's needs the upgrade and to send it in they would do it for free. It had nothing to do with "beating the frame and the pins out". It was a "6 part upgrade" with the firing pin group and trigger bar.

I'm amazed that Glock didn't handle this issue better.

"I found the post below on another Forum"

The 1992 "upgrade" had six parts in a new design that should have been installed in ALL Glock's sold up to that date. It had a new extractor, spring-loaded bearing, firing pin safety and spring, firing pin striker, and trigger bar.

A Suffolk County police officer experienced an AD when he released the slide, and this was to remedy these slam-fires.

The below was published by Dean Speir:

"There has been some question over the years about what actually led to the six-part "Product Upgrade" announced by Glock, and many, buttressed by information developed by both the writer during his tenure as Industry Editor of Gun Week, and the "Industry Insider" column by the Editor of American Handgunner, concluded that it was directly related to "the AD heard 'round the world5" which occurred on 2 January 1992 to a Suffolk County (NY) Police Officer.

Glock 19 That infamous event took place as the officer was preparing for his late duty shift. Alone in his home, he removed his unloaded service issue Model 19 Glock from its safe-keeping location, inserted a magazine, and attempted to chamber a round in the conventional method. As he released the slide, the handgun discharged inside his bedroom. Fortunately, as he had been observant of Firearms Safety Rule #2, there was no personal injury, but the officer was clearly shaken. He contacted the Suffolk County P.D. Range and requested that an armorer be available to inspect his service pistol. (As with most modern law enforcement agencies, all rounds discharged off the range must be accounted for, and if it could not be shown that the gun had experienced a mechanical malfunction, the officer might very well have been subjected to retraining, a departmental review, and an investigation with Internal Affairs personnel questioning his neighbors about whether they had observed any "problems" in the officer's marriage or had sensed a substance abuse situation.)

Although the Firearms Training Section personnel immediately concluded that the officer had disobeyed Firearms Safety Rule #3 (and Glock Commandment #1: "off-target, off-trigger!"), the man was adamant that all safety procedures had been observed during the loading sequence, and that he was not going to go on duty without his Model 19 having been thoroughly checked. The Section Sergeant authorized an hour's overtime for one of the armorers to stay on station to inspect the Model 19. When the MOS arrived the armorer was so certain that the errant discharge had been "operator error," that when he test-fired the pistol, he didn't even go onto the range, choosing instead to step outside the range HQ building and perform an administrative arming of the Model 19. Reminding the officer of the "keep a straight finger" dictum, the armorer inserted a magazine, and racked the slide.

The Glock discharged, sending a 124-grain +P JHP into the ground behind the building.

Quickly moving to the range proper, the validated officer watched as the armorer thrice more attempted to arm the Glock. Twice more it "slam-fired."

On the third and final attempt, it lapsed into a three-shot burst. (As has been oft-observed by the author, full-auto fire is always exciting, but an event best planned for… spontaneity is good in many things, not, however, in firearms!)

The officer was issued another Model 19 so that he could go on duty, and an emergency call was placed to Glock Regional Manager Steve Tretakis first thing on the morning of 3 January 1992. Within hours the malfunctioning pistol was FedEx'd back to Smyrna, Georgia.

Although the Suffolk County P.D. Range and Armorer's Section is less than five miles from the author's home, it wasn't until a week later, while attending SHOT Show in New Orleans that I became aware of an integral part of this story in a late night conversation in a hotel bar with then Glock V.P. Karl Walter and some of his staff… which conversation, by "sheer dumb luck," is recorded on a microtape cassette. In the early morning of 12 January 1992, Walter revealed that Glock Ges.m.b.H. had redesigned several parts, including the firing pin "safety plunger," a rough sketch of which he provided on a cocktail napkin which showed the new "flared" tooling at one end.

The full import of that discussion did not become apparent 'til the following week when the details of the S.C.P.D. accidental discharge became known to the writer, along with the information that Glock, Inc.'s armorers had inspected the malfunctioning Model 19 and declared that it had been "tampered with." When Glock Service Manager Bill Haberland flew to New York to return the pistol and inform the armorers of their finding, a shouting match ensued about who did what, if anything, and when. The critical point came when Sergeant Ray Flood threatened to issue an alert about the incident over the national law enforcement teletype.

At that point, Haberland backed off a bit and handed over those above referenced "six parts," indicating that those updated components should address any concerns that Suffolk County P.D. might have, yet continuing to disclaim any responsibility for the malfunctions which had occurred.

Understandably feeling vindicated at this point, S.C.P.D. armorers requested enough new parts to service the 1200 Models 19 then in use… but received only 250 two days later, all that Glock, Inc. had at that time. The armorers reported, and Karl Walter confirmed, that those sets of improved parts had to be stripped from 250 new (post-October 1991) pistols in Glock's inventory.

Approximately eleven weeks later, with Walter insisting that it was a "voluntary product upgrade" rather than a "recall," Glock issued its April 1992 Technical Bulletin announcing the six new parts. Originally projecting that all affected pistols would be upgraded in "a year or so," the undertaking was so massive that it was still on-going as recently as 1998, mostly because many of the owners of those early Glocks never got word of the upgrade availability."

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    North of BR
    Great post. Thanks for sharing. Thought it was a AD on drop, but it was apparently a slam fire situation. Either way, they fixed it, but I was disappointed about the shipping. Could be that they picked up shipping within a certain time frame. Mine was a 1991 model and I sent it to them in 2014 I think it was. Could be the free shipping had expired.

BarneyFife

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    North of BR
    ***UPDATE**** On my experience with Sig with the voluntary upgrade. I was impressed with the process. Sent my P320c in on Monday last week, got it back Thurs. this week. So start to finish, a 10 day turn around. Now, for the new components. I had about 2000 rounds fired so I was very familiar with the trigger pull before. Before, it was really good, but even better now. Much more crisp, lighter, and the reset is more crisp as well and seems a little shorter. Haven't shot it yet, but I anticipate it will be great. The new trigger itself, feels about the same to your finger. Maybe a little better if anything. If you are on the fence about sending yours in, I wouldn't hesitate at all.

Last edited:

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    I hope he gets 50 million and sig goes out of biz.Oh wait ,they have
    a government contract.They will just be killing our boys overseas.

Well long as no one gets hurt in the usa,I guess.I'm sure while fighting
    the enemy,they will be very careful not to move their pistol around.

Sold my sig,never looked back.

IGCHRIS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Madisonville
    I hope he gets 50 million and sig goes out of biz.Oh wait ,they have
    a government contract.They will just be killing our boys overseas.

Well long as no one gets hurt in the usa,I guess.I'm sure while fighting
    the enemy,they will be very careful not to move their pistol around.

Sold my sig,never looked back.

What are you talking about?

You apparently aren't well versed on the Army's contracted pistol vs the commercial p320.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom