Sig Update on fix for P320 Pistols.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    In response to a variety of reports of SIG SAUER P320 pistols discharging when dropped, the company has “developed a number of enhancements in function, reliability and overall safety including drop performance.” SIG is*offering these upgrades to all P320 owners. The M17 pistol selected by the US Army as its new sidearm of choice is not covered by this offer.
    Here’s their press release:
    SIG SAUER Issues Voluntary Upgrade of P320 Pistol
    P320 pistol meets requirements for industry and government safety standards;*performance enhancements optimize function, safety, and reliability.
    The P320 meets U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) / Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI), National Institute of Justice (NIJ), as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies.
    The design of the SIG SAUER P320 overcomes the most significant safety concern in striker fired pistols today: the practice of pressing the trigger for disassembly. This can be performed with a round in the chamber which has resulted in numerous incidents of property damage, physical injury, and death. The disassembly process of the P320, however, uses a take-down lever rather than pressing the trigger, eliminating the possibility of discharge during the disassembly process.
    Recent events indicate that dropping the P320 beyond U.S. standards for safety may cause an unintentional discharge.
    As a result of input from law enforcement, government, and military customers, SIG has developed a number of enhancements in function, reliability, and overall safety including drop performance. SIG SAUER is offering these enhancements to its customers. Details of this program will be available at sigsauer.com on Monday, August 14, 2017.
    The M17 variant of the P320, selected by the U.S. Government as the U.S. Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS), is not affected by the Voluntary Upgrade.
    “SIG SAUER is committed to our approach on innovation, optimization, and performance, ensuring we produce the finest possible products,” said Ron Cohen, President and CEO of SIG SAUER. “Durability, reliability and safety, as well as end-user confidence in the SIG SAUER brand are the priorities for our team.”
    Full version in this image.

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Interesting. I wonder if this upgrade program will be free as it is a safety issue. If not I predict it will hurt P320 sales.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Love how they call it an "upgrade" or a "enhancement" lol, oh well at least they are making an attempt to fix it

Give them 5 years "typical sig" will just discontinue the sig 320 and make a 321.... They are the best at pushing new products then discontinuing them a couple years later... About the only thing they have stuck with is 220,226,229

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    North of BR
    Glock made an "Upgrade" to the Gen 2 Model 19 for the exact same reason. Shipping was not covered. Cost me $63.00.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Glock made an "Upgrade" to the Gen 2 Model 19 for the exact same reason. Shipping was not covered. Cost me $63.00.

Not really. They actually made the upgrade to the model 22 40 caliber because it was hammering, beating the frame and the pins out. They just added the "3 pin upgrade design" to the model 19 regardless if it needed it or not to simplify manuracturing and cut down on costs. Your gen 2 did not need the upgrade.

BarneyFife

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    North of BR
    I talked to Glock directly and they told me yes, it's needs the upgrade and to send it in they would do it for free. It had nothing to do with "beating the frame and the pins out". It was a "6 part upgrade" with the firing pin group and trigger bar.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I talked to Glock directly and they told me yes, it's needs the upgrade and to send it in they would do it for free. It had nothing to do with "beating the frame and the pins out". It was a "6 part upgrade" with the firing pin group and trigger bar.

Of course not from the 9mm ammo. But definitely from the 40 s&w ammo of which the model 22 was actually built on the 9mm frame. Glock was just covering all bases to head off any complaints or legal issues. The 22 was definitely built on a 9mm frame and once produced, out in the world for awhile was definitely battering the frame and causing the pins to move out of the frame. Had a fellow officer with one who had to tap, beat the pins back into place just while shooting the yearly qualification course just to keep it functioning. Glock decided in the "retrofit" to the 22 that the 17 and 19 would benefit from it also even though they did not need it. Glock just told you what they figured you wanted/needed to hear and you bought it hook, line and sinker. And they made you pay for the shipping!

BarneyFife

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    North of BR
    "Oh no he ain't bashing on glocks!!!!! Get em glock fan boys!!!! Lol just joking!!!"

Exactly!! The Glock fanboys are sensitive huh?

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    North of BR
    Of course not from the 9mm ammo. But definitely from the 40 s&w ammo of which the model 22 was actually built on the 9mm frame. Glock was just covering all bases to head off any complaints or legal issues. The 22 was definitely built on a 9mm frame and once produced, out in the world for awhile was definitely battering the frame and causing the pins to move out of the frame. Had a fellow officer with one who had to tap, beat the pins back into place just while shooting the yearly qualification course just to keep it functioning. Glock decided in the "retrofit" to the 22 that the 17 and 19 would benefit from it also even though they did not need it. Glock just told you what they figured you wanted/needed to hear and you bought it hook, line and sinker. And they made you pay for the shipping!
    Since you know it all, what did they do to my Gen 2 G19?

BarneyFife

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    North of BR
    I dont know it all and I dont know what they did to your Gen 2 19. I am just saying what a friend of mine who happens to be a Glock armorer told me when Glock began offering the upgrades.

No worries brother. My point was what you are talking about is completely different than the "Upgrade" (Which is really a recall) on certain serial numbered Gen 2 Glock 19's. This particular recall was related to an unintentional discharge when dropped by a Law Enforcement officer. Same exact scenario as the situation that started all the P320 mess. The internal firing group and trigger bar were upgraded to Gen 3 specs.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    No worries brother. My point was what you are talking about is completely different than the "Upgrade" (Which is really a recall) on certain serial numbered Gen 2 Glock 19's. This particular recall was related to an unintentional discharge when dropped by a Law Enforcement officer. Same exact scenario as the situation that started all the P320 mess. The internal firing group and trigger bar were upgraded to Gen 3 specs.

Okay then yes, what I was referring to is different that what you are speaking of. Sorry, I was on a different page or maybe even an entirely different book. :(

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Well crap!!! I really thought this post was gonna be a battle field of hurt feelings.... Well this is no fun!!!! What are we comming to when people can get along and see each other's side of the story... Sad sad sad lol

DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Well crap!!! I really thought this post was gonna be a battle field of hurt feelings.... Well this is no fun!!!! What are we comming to when people can get along and see each other's side of the story... Sad sad sad lol

Don't worry, just wait till someone brings up how Chevy is better than Ford...... Oh crap! (Grabs popcorn and a recliner)

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rynola
    Top Bottom