National Guard CHP help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swamp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Lake Charles, LA
    I am currently serving in the LA national guard (M-day soldier) and am attempting to take advantage of the 50% off discount for military. The application asks for a copy of your military ID and a copy of your most recent orders. The recent orders part confuses me. My last orders I received were for basic leaders course back in January. Would those suffice?

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I am currently serving in the LA national guard (M-day soldier) and am attempting to take advantage of the 50% off discount for military. The application asks for a copy of your military ID and a copy of your most recent orders. The recent orders part confuses me. My last orders I received were for basic leaders course back in January. Would those suffice?

Email the CHP guys, but ID cards work, also you may be able to get that free permit with you DD-214 from basic, just ask... I have been procrastinating on it... Now I am about to go OCUNUS for a while so not worrying too much currently lol

midgetcatcher

Tactical Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Scan in a copy of your last DD214 (discharge from active to guard, etc), as long as it says Honorable, the state will accept it, and aside from your finger prints, the whole process is free.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Scan in a copy of your last DD214 (discharge from active to guard, etc), as long as it says Honorable, the state will accept it, and aside from your finger prints, the whole process is free.

That's not what the law says.
    Military Discount
    If you are currently in the military and wish to use the military discount, you must include a copy of your most recent orders.
    Five Year Permit: $62.50
    Lifetime Permit: $250

Original/First-Time Applicants:
    In addition to meeting the qualifications in R.S. 40:1379.3(C), an applicant must demonstrate competence with a handgun by completion of an approved firearms safety or training course taught by an NRA or P.O.S.T. certified instructor that is registered with State Police, or completion of small arms training while serving in the military (as evidenced by a DD-214), [active service members, reservist and national guard members must include a clear photocopy of their military ID (front & back) with a copy of their last qualification record from their 201 file], or possession of a current valid license to carry a concealed weapon issued by a parish law enforcement officer.

The passage of Act 44 of the 2016 Regular Legislative Session (Effective August 1, 2016) amended and reenacted R.S. 40:1379.3(W), relative to concealed handgun permits; to exempt honorably discharged veterans of the U.S. armed forces from all fees associated with 5-year or lifetime concealed handgun permits. This Act doesn’t affect currently active military personnel. Active duty personnel remain eligible to receive the half price discount with a copy of your most recent orders.

Last edited:

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    At the same time a dd-214 is an DD-214... Shows that you did active duty and were honorably discharged. There law needed to be changed if vets are free why do currently serving have to pay?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    My understanding has always been that LAANG part-time (monthly drills and summer camp) does not qualify you as a veteran. I also do not think that basic and AIT qualifies you as a veteran if you are part-time LAANG. Only if you were active duty in federal military, or activated for more than 6 months in the LAANG would you be considered a veteran, for benefits. Of course, I may be wrong and/or LSP may have a more liberal definition of military/veteran. However, they asked for my active duty DD214 for the permit, not my NG22 form showing separation from the LAANG.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    At the same time a dd-214 is an DD-214... Shows that you did active duty and were honorably discharged. There law needed to be changed if vets are free why do currently serving have to pay?

A Honorable Discharge is what you have hanging on the wall after you've fulfilled your deal. Not just getting out of Basic.

I would said that completion of small arms training while serving in the military (as evidenced by a DD-214), Is for Veterans and this part [active service members, reservist and national guard members must include a clear photocopy of their military ID (front & back) with a copy of their last qualification record from their 201 file. And this is for the others why else would it be written that way.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    A Honorable Discharge is what you have hanging on the wall after you've fulfilled your deal. Not just getting out of Basic.

I would said that completion of small arms training while serving in the military (as evidenced by a DD-214), Is for Veterans and this part [active service members, reservist and national guard members must include a clear photocopy of their military ID (front & back) with a copy of their last qualification record from their 201 file. And this is for the others why else would it be written that way.

Actually my DD-214 shows a classification of Honorable from just that, For all periods of AD over 30 Days(Federal Active Duty T10) a DD-214 will be generated and will have to have a classification of service on it. Where the law is confusing is that it was written by people who don't understand how the Guard works and how paperwork is processed and what forms are generated when. Being a state agency we are the state militia but are payed and trained by the feds... It makes for some interesting dynamics... And when I finally do get out of the Guard I will not have a DD-214 from it I will have a NGB 22... But at the rate I am going I will have several DD-214s from AD time. We are all veterans according to most laws and agencies solely from the time AD for IET. The main point is a veteran with DD-214 is free while an AD or currently serving member still pays... Why? and according to my DD-214 I have an honorable discharge...

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Actually my DD-214 shows a classification of Honorable from just that, For all periods of AD over 30 Days(Federal Active Duty T10) a DD-214 will be generated and will have to have a classification of service on it. Where the law is confusing is that it was written by people who don't understand how the Guard works and how paperwork is processed and what forms are generated when. Being a state agency we are the state militia but are payed and trained by the feds... It makes for some interesting dynamics... And when I finally do get out of the Guard I will not have a DD-214 from it I will have a NGB 22... But at the rate I am going I will have several DD-214s from AD time. We are all veterans according to most laws and agencies solely from the time AD for IET. The main point is a veteran with DD-214 is free while an AD or currently serving member still pays... Why? and according to my DD-214 I have an honorable discharge...

When will you get your Honorable discharge to hang on the wall? When you complete your 6 years or more?

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    When will you get your Honorable discharge to hang on the wall? When you complete your 6 years or more?

Every time I get called to Active Federal service (I.E. Deployments, Natural Disasters on Katrina level) I will get another DD-214 that says honorable, recently saw some paperwork on a high ranking soldier he had about a dozen DD-214s from all the times he was AD! Now in order to qualify for certain VA benefits like a VA Home loan they say that I have to have 90 or 180 days AD outside of IET OR 6 years in the guard... that is where that 6 years number comes into play for a lot of things... When I am out entirely I will not get a DD-214 for getting out of the guard...

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Every time I get called to Active Federal service (I.E. Deployments, Natural Disasters on Katrina level) I will get another DD-214 that says honorable, recently saw some paperwork on a high ranking soldier he had about a dozen DD-214s from all the times he was AD! Now in order to qualify for certain VA benefits like a VA Home loan they say that I have to have 90 or 180 days AD outside of IET OR 6 years in the guard... that is where that 6 years number comes into play for a lot of things... When I am out entirely I will not get a DD-214 for getting out of the guard...

From what I always heard when you get your DD-214 when you get off Active Duty it's a Honorable Separation. Then later you get your Honorable Discharge in the mail to put on the wall and it's a done deal.

My brother in law was in the Miss. NG back in the late 60's he did his 6 years. I asked my sister one time why didn't he go to the VA for medical stuff. She said he couldn't.
    In the last year I've learned how crazy the VA stuff is I'm working on a claim now. Some of it's done and one part deferred. I go Aug. 29th to get some fancy hearing aids from them.

Just in NG might be going I guess. JUST IN: Office of Governor John Bel Edwards declares a state of emergency for New Orleans

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    From what I always heard when you get your DD-214 when you get off Active Duty it's a Honorable Separation. Then later you get your Honorable Discharge in the mail to put on the wall and it's a done deal.

My brother in law was in the Miss. NG back in the late 60's he did his 6 years. I asked my sister one time why didn't he go to the VA for medical stuff. She said he couldn't.
    In the last year I've learned how crazy the VA stuff is I'm working on a claim now. Some of it's done and one part deferred. I go Aug. 29th to get some fancy hearing aids from them.

Just in NG might be going I guess. JUST IN: Office of Governor John Bel Edwards declares a state of emergency for New Orleans

Trust me I know about that last part, I am full-time in NOLA... lol great... Also In the old days the guard got the shaft on benefits even including VA and even PX privileges! That has changes the line has blurred between the Guard and AD folks... One Army, One Fight I believe the motto is now. Now I can get ALMOST all the same benefits as AD soldiers with a few exceptions. In the 70s even 80s being in the NG sucked... Now we get all the benefits and get the fun task of pulling people out of drowned cars in NOLA.

Top Bottom