Truck shopping

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Why buy a small truck and your unsure about the towing power when a full size can be had for about the same price. The titans have plenty of towing power.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Why buy a small truck and your unsure about the towing power when a full size can be had for about the same price. The titans have plenty of towing power.

I agree. I did that many years ago and it was a big mistake. Could not tow as much as I thought I could with it even though the specs said I could tow what I needed to tow, and the fuel mileage regardless if towing or not was not that much greater than a full size truck. Also the interior was much tighter than a full size truck.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    If your not already you need to pay attention to rear axle gear ratios. There can be a difference in trim packages and option. And small or big gears can have a huge impact on the way it pulls or hesitates as you put it describing a tacoma. And don't rely on a salesperson to know the difference, read the window sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If your not already you need to pay attention to rear axle gear ratios. There can be a difference in trim packages and option. And small or big gears can have a huge impact on the way it pulls or hesitates as you put it describing a tacoma. And don't rely on a salesperson to know the difference, read the window sticker.

Can you expand on this?

BTW, I'm only towing about 4k pounds... Tongue weight is a bigger issue for my Xterra. The camper is right at the limit and those shocks aren't new!

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I have driven full size trucks for approximately 60 years and the flood took both of my vehicles. A compact truck will work well for me now.

I drove compact trucks for a long time, been driving the current full size for 10 years. I tow a 30 ft camper so going back to compact is not an option.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I drove compact trucks for a long time, been driving the current full size for 10 years. I tow a 30 ft camper so going back to compact is not an option.

I have owned only one compact truck compared to several full size trucks. The compact truck was never up to the task of the full sized trucks I owned concerning towing, interior space, comfort, fuel mileage difference, bed hauling capacity. Thats the reason I owned only one compact truck. I will never own another compact truck.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I have owned only one compact truck compared to several full size trucks. The compact truck was never up to the task of the full sized trucks I owned concerning towing, interior space, comfort, fuel mileage difference, bed hauling capacity. Thats the reason I owned only one compact truck. I will never own another compact truck.

I was going to trade mine in recently and wanted another titan. The wife said she wanted one with 4 full size doors, I didn't have a problem with that except the bed was only 5 ft or less. I like the one I have with the 8 ft bed, but they don't make them that way any more. The XD models have a larger bed but most of those were out of my budget.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Can you expand on this?

BTW, I'm only towing about 4k pounds... Tongue weight is a bigger issue for my Xterra. The camper is right at the limit and those shocks aren't new!

Trucks can come with different gears. A truck with 4.10 gears feels like it has allot more torque than a truck with 3.23 gears and pulls better. Example an f150 can be had with 3.21, 3.55, or 3.73 gears. Maybe even 4.10.
    The tocoma you drove that hesitated might have had a smaller gear ratio than the one you said that didn't. So even though it had the same engine it felt much weaker and was slower off the line. Just an example I don't know about Tacoma options.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Trucks can come with different gears. A truck with 4.10 gears feels like it has allot more torque than a truck with 3.23 gears and pulls better. Example an f150 can be had with 3.21, 3.55, or 3.73 gears. Maybe even 4.10.
    The tocoma you drove that hesitated might have had a smaller gear ratio than the one you said that didn't. So even though it had the same engine it felt much weaker and was slower off the line. Just an example I don't know about Tacoma options. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So higher ratio is better? What's the trade off?

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    So higher ratio is better? What's the trade off?

A little worse gas mileage. But when towing it could be better mileage. Depends on vehicle/load. Kinda like the small tundra motor getting worse mileage than the big motor...because it doesn't move that weight around as efficiently.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Any turboed motor will if you keep the turbo spooled up. That's the nature of turbos. It's eco or boost. The driver gets to decide.

Exactly.

My brother got amazing mileage with his. It's all about how you drive it. Be sensible and it'll reward you. Don't keep your size 12 ankle deep in the throttle body.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Any turboed motor will if you keep the turbo spooled up. That's the nature of turbos. It's eco or boost. The driver gets to decide.

Another thing about the Fords I don't like is the aluminum bodies. That thread is a good example of what a small truck can and can't do.

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Another thing about the Fords I don't like is the aluminum bodies. That thread is a good example of what a small truck can and can't do.

Get used to it. Wouldn't be surprised if in a few years they were made of some kind of polymer

Top Bottom