Truck shopping

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Does the V6 really get better mileage? The 6.2 L86 motor in my new GMC is getting mid to high 20's when I lock the cruise control in at 55. Of course, the mileage drops if I put my foot into it, but that's true of anything.

I wouldn't touch the aluminum Fords with a 10 foot pole, and that's coming from a guy that grew up driving and loving an F150 farm truck. I know it's the way of the future and all that, and I know the EPA will eventually force every automaker to build cars out of little electric motors and tinfoil. But until that happens (and especially given that the OP wants to pull a trailer), I'd be sticking to a steel truck.

Oh, and I'd avoid the current crop of small diesels like the plague. Most of them are made by VM Motori in Italy, and the three shops I frequent are all seeing problems with the current generation of low sulfur diesel. I sold my Duramax last month (an engine that was infinitely better than any of the Italian crap) and was sad to see it go, but I'm getting better mileage with the 6.2 and I don't have to worry about carrying a bottle of Stanadyne.

Mike

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My 6.2 in my escalade gets dismal gas mileage. I average about 12-13 mpg.

But if I stay off the gas and keep it at 45, I can get 22mpg. Problem is I don't ever lay off the gas

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Well... I sold my Monte Carlo (Revolution Auto Sales has it and it cleaned up beautifully if someone is looking for a nice daily driver or car for a kid!). My Xterra died. Both catalytic converters clogged and the engine was going out. Sold it for next to nothing... but I'm done with it.

I found a 2015 Frontier crew cab with only 16k miles on it. Nice little truck and the price was better than expected. Trailer hitch is done, but I need to set up the electric brake system. A bed cover would be nice but they want some money for a chunk of plastic! I'm tempted to cut some plywood and paint it black! :)

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Well... I sold my Monte Carlo (Revolution Auto Sales has it and it cleaned up beautifully if someone is looking for a nice daily driver or car for a kid!). My Xterra died. Both catalytic converters clogged and the engine was going out. Sold it for next to nothing... but I'm done with it.

I found a 2015 Frontier crew cab with only 16k miles on it. Nice little truck and the price was better than expected. Trailer hitch is done, but I need to set up the electric brake system. A bed cover would be nice but they want some money for a chunk of plastic! I'm tempted to cut some plywood and paint it black! :)

I bought an expensive one piece plastic lid for my truck. It is 100% waterproof, like I wanted. I have friends happy with their cheap fold up types, which also allow you to carry tall items.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I bought an expensive one piece plastic lid for my truck. It is 100% waterproof, like I wanted. I have friends happy with their cheap fold up types, which also allow you to carry tall items.

Inexpensive? I'm seeing $800 plus? if you found something cheaper let me know where...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Colonel
    Top Bottom