Truck shopping

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm starting to look at mid sized 6 cylinder crew cab trucks. Looking to spend around 25 (no more than 30k... wife is going to need a new car soon also). I need to pull a 4K pound camper. Its front heavy (400 pound tongue weght), or at least my xterra thought so!

Thoughts:

Nissan Frontier- ok but the interior is cheap to say the least. Nothing fancy but it works. Cheapest option. Rear seating is horrible.

Toyota Tacoma- Really like the truck. Until I test drove it. Surprise. The truck can't get out its own way. Lots of hesitation. Like driving a 20 year old u-haul diesel truck. I thought we had a defective truck to test drive. Swapped to another truck, minimally better. Stories online of tranny issues and shift pattern problems but there's a patch out there. Maybe the dealer didn't install the patch? Resale value is a real plus. Maybe I'll go try a different dealer? Maybe they didn't do the setup right when it came off the ship?

Chevy Colorado V6 WT. A bit hesitant since its the first year for the new engine. Decent. Only truck with a 7 pin connnector set up factory. Resale value is a concern.

Ford- no rangers til 2019 :( Glanced at an F150. More truck than I need right now. Price puts me in an extended cab rather than a crew, but since the truck is bigger it might work out. Haven't driven a new one yet. The only f150's I've driven have had v8's.

Thoughts?

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have a Ford with the small ecoboost, it is fast, and will pull like you wouldnt believe! BUT, when you do start pulling fuel milage goes to ****!!!!!!!!!! Better of with the V8

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've had 4 Frontiers since 2000. They have been ultra reliable and very durable. All of mine have been 2 wheel drive and were crew cabs. I've hauled some pretty heavy stuff with mine and for the most part the truck did fine. The truck is rated to pull 5000 pounds, but I'm guessing that's right at its limit. Unlike you are going to do , the hauling I did were single trips. I didn't pull a camper on a regular basis. The 400 lb bumper weight should be ok if you get the tow package. The rear bumper on the Frontier is very light, so pulling from it will not work for you. I would look into the 4 wheel drive model as they may have a little more heavy suspension which would prolly work better for you. Now just for comparison, my family has a small business and we have a 2015 Chevy Crew Cab 2 wheel drive with the big V8 and this will run circles around the Frontier as far as towing goes. It is the work model so it's very basic, but it drives like a dream and has room to spare on the inside. Maybe you could look for a used full size truck, which I think you should be able to get a pretty good one for 25k. I love my Frontier and I don't baby it as I use it in my bee business, to go fishing and also hunt out of it. It's a a tough truck thats reliable and proven, but may not be the best truck for what you are looking for. They are coming out with a new model sometime soon, but I think you'll prolly need something before then. Good luck with your search.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Nissan Titan, I have owned one for 10 years. It's the best truck I have ever owned. Plent of towing power, low maintenance. The 2018 models should be out soon, so now is the time to make a deal on the 2017's.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Thanks for the input guys. Towing is important but I only tow every few weeks. The titan looks nice but then I'm back into a bigger truck and over $30K. I really want a midsize...
    Actually I really want a new ranger but I don't think my Xterra is going to hold out that long! :)

Last edited:

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    No experience with the others, but you can get into a new f150xlt crew cab 2wd for under 30. Check out courtesy ford in Breaux bridge. I got my f150 about 13k under MSRP. I was able to get multiple local dealers to match Houston dealers pricing. A quick Autotrader search showed about 30 results within 300 miles.

070e528edc49e1b9492313eb78a7711f.jpg

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I have a 2016 Tacoma and I really like the truck.

The truck has plenty of power, but you have to give it lots of pedal. The truck is drive by wire and the relationship between the throttle plate opening and gas pedal is not linear. Toyota likely did this for economy. It does negatively impact the driving experience. Still if you punch it, the truck will scoot. Also the transmission is shift happy.

If you can accept those things, it is a pretty nice truck. It is better put together than the GM twins (and I am a Chevy guy), and the Nissan is way behind the times (though I like their little truck).

The GM twins are fine enough. They have more stuff available than Toyota (can't get power seats in a Taco). I figure they are in the same ball park as the Taco.

I bought the Taco because the interior just seemed better fit and the resale is stoopid good.

If you go this route, let's talk. Buying a new Toyota can be tricky as many dealers think you can't get a good deal on a Taco.

We paid $29,900 for a 2016 SR5 DCSB V6 4X4 with tow before TT&L, but we contacted 25 dealerships and drove to Moss Point to get it.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Though you want a smaller truck, deals can be had on tundras all the time. Not unusual to get 1000's off compared to the Tacoma which Toyota must think is made of gold

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    2nd on the Tundra if you want a little bigger truck. As much as I hate to say this, look outside of LA. I bought mine out of state and saved quite a bit. The dealer took care of all the LA docs still....although they were confused as hell with the multiple levels of taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Test drove another taco this morning. Much better acceleration. Very different. Not great acceleration, and yes you have to stand on the peddle to get it to really go. BUT very different from the first dealership. Maybe they didn't take it out transport mode correctly? dunno...

Stopped at a ford dealer. 2.7 v6 turbo. Boy, was that an eye opener compared to the taco acceleration. I spun the tires coming off the red light! Lots of towing features.

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I have the Nissan Frontier SV with the big engine and a tow package and you can't ask for more power A Towing power. I like it the wife hates it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have the Nissan Frontier SV with the big engine and a tow package and you can't ask for more power A Towing power. I like it the wife hates it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Yep. Getting that also. They don't like the back seat in the crew cab. My daughter would ride back there quite a bit...

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Surprised about the report on the Tacoma. My son has a 2006 Tacoma w/ a 4.0L VVTi V6 w/ 120,000 miles on it and it still runs like bat-out-of-hell.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Toyota never has the most power.

Sounds like an eco boost is what you need. Plenty power, not a huge truck, and can tow like dickens. And get decent mileage, bordering great when not towing.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Read some more on the toyota.
    Looks like they're playing with the mileage numbers. Not much torque. You have to downshift a few times, not just once to accelerate.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Yes, and probably could get it for a few thousand less than that price.

I just looked up "matt bowers" and their corvette deals are great. Only better price is getting it from that dealership that sells the most vettes in the nation. Now on to talk my wife into it....

Top Bottom