Fieldsport Micro Dot Sight, Centerfire Ready? Perhaps.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaSouthernYankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Finally I had some free time yesterday to go out and do some shooting and testing of my new Fieldsport microdot. What started as a pleasant day at the range ended on a not so great note, with failures in both the test rifle as well as the test optic. However, to the sights credit it continued to hold zero and stay on even with the aforementioned failure.

---OUT OF THE BOX---
    Initially all looked well, nice packaging. Included is the instructions, glass cleaning cloth, the sight and an Allen Key for the base cross bolt.

9aef3c215e374d61aafaa72a3993f446.jpg

6212d9f2cd6e557e03d3da88ec7c9bb4.jpg

2b47b3bc8d9cacbeac9ece363dd4fa86.jpg

The adjustments for elevation, windage and brightness all felt good, actually as good as the TRS25 you see now residing on the test rifle. Aside from the location of the brightness adjustment the only noticeable difference between the two is the horrendously blue glass on the Fieldsport.

ab6b86558a62584439e94dc6e30d8980.jpg

0b5900b2271b6deaa0635de26e8e9b53.jpg

That said, it is still pretty clear. Not blurry, and for my badly astigmatism eyes, the dot is a bit more crisp than the TRS25.

Ok, I thought, this thing might just be too good to be true. Let's go shoot!

At the range (sorry no photos, I was in a hurry) the dot hit at 200 yards with just an initial bore sighting at home, did some minor adjustments and was able to hit smaller targets at closer range no problem. Then I started having malfunctions with my rifle. No extracting, double feeds, etc. Needless to say I was getting aggravated. It turned out to be a bad extractor spring and over worn extractor. I mention this because during the course of fire I did a few moderate mortar clearing drills at the bench to remove a few stuck cases, and this may have contributed to the optic failure.

Anyway as I am packing up my gear I rotate the sight brightness adjustment knob to turn the sight off and holly crap was it loose! Whatever had been holding the assembly together had almost totally failed and the adjuster was almost free spinning, with only minor detent engagement. But the sight still stayed on!

e5dc86acef20f36300d2174dc7f23e26.jpg

1dc03db7b97c0a845c19045a256f7ba1.jpg

The dot continued to glow unless I intentionally wiggled the adjustment knob. So not good that it failed but kudos for not quitting. I will be contacting Fieldsport CS and see about a replacement. I already checked on the website, they say they will replace defective products so long as it hasn't been intentionally damaged, which mine obviously has not been. But the also say to include a $10 check for processing and handling fees (half the cost of the sight!). So I will see how it goes and let y'all know what happens.

Sent from an unidentified bayou mobile device

Top Bottom