Need some information from a BRPD employee

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I was actually asking with a bit of sarcasm that likely didn't come across. But I know from experience there are cops who are ignorant of our gun laws. As the saying goes, jack of all trades, master of none. I've cringed before when I heard officers ask someone if their gun was registered. Why would you register a weapon unless you were forced to? The only weapon I have registered is an SBR. (The rest got washed away in the flood a year ago. It was terrible.) I've stopped a former co-worker from booking a guy with carrying a concealed weapon when the guy had a permit from Mississippi. I had to show him the reciprocity info on the LSP website. He still went to jail for other charges.

As far as getting the firearms back, I've heard it was difficult. And yes, the city does have an anti-gun stance. In general, to get a gun back in New Orleans, it has to be listed as property and not evidence. The owner has to come in during the hours Central Evidence & Property is open. And I believe they need to show ownership of the weapon, which would be the tricky part. I can't show that I own all of my weapons. For example, I have a 1911 that I cannot remember from where I bought it and I know I don't have the receipt. (Well, I had the 1911. That darn flood.) So if I left it somewhere, I don't know if I could prove it was mine. I've got pictures of all my weapons and their serial numbers but would that count?
    Yeah, time doesn't come across very well on a forum. Lol.

I would hope serial number and pictures would be enough. They had my wife's name and address from hotel room, but they did ask for the serial number.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    I was actually asking with a bit of sarcasm that likely didn't come across. But I know from experience there are cops who are ignorant of our gun laws. As the saying goes, jack of all trades, master of none. I've cringed before when I heard officers ask someone if their gun was registered. Why would you register a weapon unless you were forced to? The only weapon I have registered is an SBR. (The rest got washed away in the flood a year ago. It was terrible.) I've stopped a former co-worker from booking a guy with carrying a concealed weapon when the guy had a permit from Mississippi. I had to show him the reciprocity info on the LSP website. He still went to jail for other charges.

As far as getting the firearms back, I've heard it was difficult. And yes, the city does have an anti-gun stance. In general, to get a gun back in New Orleans, it has to be listed as property and not evidence. The owner has to come in during the hours Central Evidence & Property is open. And I believe they need to show ownership of the weapon, which would be the tricky part. I can't show that I own all of my weapons. For example, I have a 1911 that I cannot remember from where I bought it and I know I don't have the receipt. (Well, I had the 1911. That darn flood.) So if I left it somewhere, I don't know if I could prove it was mine. I've got pictures of all my weapons and their serial numbers but would that count?

I hold and am in possession of all receipts of all firearms that I have purchased from day one that I have in my possession of to this day and can readily produce such receipts to prove my ownership. Anyone else who does not do the same opens themselves up to the BS that their local LEO that dont have a clue. And yes, I am retired LEO before someone decides to jump on the bandwagon one way or the other!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Lost all my computer and paper records in the 08/15/2016 flood along with everything else and that is NO BS. Starting Over as funds allow.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Lost all my computer and paper records in the 08/15/2016 flood along with everything else and that is NO BS. Starting Over as funds allow.

If you would have had a fire and water proof safe to keep your records in you would not have to be dealing with that now. I am not a backwoods country azz hick but, I am not stupid either!

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie

Not sure about the iPhone, but there's an Android app called gunsafe for about $5.00 that'll allow you to track firearm and ammo inventory. It'll store serial numbers, pics of firearms and receipts, date acquired, etc. I'm pretty sure there's a free version to try. I'm not affiliated with the app in any way, just a happy user.

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    Not sure about the iPhone, but there's an Android app called gunsafe for about $5.00 that'll allow you to track firearm and ammo inventory. It'll store serial numbers, pics of firearms and receipts, date acquired, etc. I'm pretty sure there's a free version to try. I'm not affiliated with the app in any way, just a happy user.

Yeah I dont know how much I trust an App being on any phone storing my information such as serial numbers or any information for that matter.
    Its already bad enough we dont have much privacy left and these smart devices are just what companies and govt. like.

On another note, I am glad that your property was returned and all ended well.
    Kudos to your wife for wanting to tip the honest staff at the hotel.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown

First thing I do is scan the receipts and take a picture of the firearm along with a clear shot of the serial number on the firearm. I then email all of that to myself and file the email in a specific folder set up for just that. No matter where I am, if I can get internet access, I can get proof of ownership. Started doing that with important documents after seeing everyone lose documents during Katrina.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    They can and will find where and when something was bought.
    They found papers on guns my Dad bought from Challmette Gun! And Jewelry Lock Stock and Barrel! And went the extra mile to get them back to the owner.
    If ya filled out an old yellow 4473 they have it

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I was in TN and got home late last night, so I got all the details.

My wife stays at the hotel regularly and makes reservations there for some other coworkers.
    When the housekeeper saw the gun on the bed, she stepped back out of the room and reported it.
    The police dusted it for prints, that's what is on the gun in the picture, but after my wife called first thing the next morning, the lady she spoke with pulled it from DNA before they tested it so that my wife could pick it up that day.
    She went by the hotel, but the housekeeper was not working, so the staff called her and my wife thanked her and let her know that she was leaving her a tip.
    She also spoke with the new general manager and the lady she always contacts for reservations and was told that they train all their employees on situations like finding a gun and expect their employees to always be honest.
    Everyone at the hotel and BRPD were great and did an exceptional job.

The hotel was Chase Suite Hotel, http://www.chasehotelbatonrouge.com/reviews.aspx
    I've never been there, but my wife says everyone their is super nice. The facilities need a refresh, carpet fraying in some places, etc. But the suites are large and the price is not bad. Reviews are mixed online.
    They were just bought out and will soon have a complete renovation and name change to Cloverleaf.
    So if someone is looking for a place to stay with honest employees, give them a try.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The police dusted it for prints, that's what is on the gun in the picture, but after my wife called first thing the next morning, the lady she spoke with pulled it from DNA before they tested it so that my wife could pick it up that day.

I wouldn't have been surprised if you had said they test fired it for a ballistics but I'm a little surprised about dusting it for prints. They had a starting point as to the owner of the gun from the hotel reservation. But I'm really surprised the DNA section had it. State police crime lab is responsible for submitting DNA profiles into CODIS to search for a match. And they cannot do that without a case number for an actual crime. Found property does not qualify. And they can only submit a profile for searching if the profile comes from a suspect. (Or to ID a dead person.) They cannot swab the gun, get a DNA profile from the swab, then submit the profile to search for a match to try to ID the owner of the gun because no crime has been committed and the owner of the gun is not suspected of any crime. LSP crime lab is pretty strict about that guidelines since they could lose access to the CODIS database if they knowingly violate those guidelines.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom