Need some information from a BRPD employee

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Hey guys, is there a BRPD employee here that can help me with some information?

My wife stayed in Baton Rouge last night for a meeting, and when she was packing up to leave, she left her pistol on the bed at the hotel. :mad:
    When she got home she called the hotel, and was told that housekeeping found it and the police department had it. :bravo:
    Of course when she called tonight, she was told to call back tomorrow.

I was just trying to see if I could get a heads up on who she would need to talk to and what she would need to bring to get it released to her.
    If so send me a PM or respond to this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Thankfully it wasn't in New Orleans.

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    That stinks, hope all is well and you guys are able to get the firearm back in a timely manner.
    If the hotel did in fact turn it over to the police then that was good on their part. Some folks may have not been that honest about finding a nice firearm.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Well, I have to say BRPD is very efficient. They finished testing, ran her background check, and she is enroute to pick it up.

A very pleasant experience.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Make sure it hasn't been used in a crime.
    Standard procedure for any "found" gun.

I'm just glad she wasn't in New Orleans.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Testing? Testing what? Anyway, glad to hear you all will be getting it back soon.

Seeing as the subject of the thread is a firearm, I would suspect the "what" would be said firearm.

It's not uncommon for agencies to test found firearms. It goes something like this: housekeeping finds a gun and calls the police. Police get there and run the serial number through NCIC to see if it has been reported stolen. Police take custody of the firearm and the firearm is dropped off at Crime Lab to test fire the weapon to check for matches in IBIS/NIBIN. The firearm is then listed as property, if there's no reason to list it as evidence, and the owner can now claim it.

Firearmfanatic

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 25, 2016
    Acadia Parish
    Seeing as the subject of the thread is a firearm, I would suspect the "what" would be said firearm.

It's not uncommon for agencies to test found firearms. It goes something like this: housekeeping finds a gun and calls the police. Police get there and run the serial number through NCIC to see if it has been reported stolen. Police take custody of the firearm and the firearm is dropped off at Crime Lab to test fire the weapon to check for matches in IBIS/NIBIN. The firearm is then listed as property, if there's no reason to list it as evidence, and the owner can now claim it.

I knew it was the firearm that was tested. What I was questioning was, what were they testing it for. As in rifling, primer strike id, etc.?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I knew it was the firearm that was tested. What I was questioning was, what were they testing it for. As in rifling, primer strike id, etc.?

Yeah, they test the rifling and primer strikes. Interestingly, New Your and Maryland had laws for a while requiring every firearm sold in their respective states be test fired and the results entered into state-level databases as an effort to reduce straw purchases. After a number of years and multiple millions of dollars spent, neither system produced any real hits.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My wife once had a pair of her perscription eyeglasses stolen from our hotel room by hotel staff while we were out an about and not in the room!

You and many others. That was common. And the problem was a number of hotels didn't hire the housekeepers. The hotels contracted out the housekeeping to someone who worked with a temp agency to supply the workers. It was always a PITA to try to track down a specific person who was there at the time something went missing. And when we got a name, we didn't always get a valid address. And when one hotel had an issue with a worker, they would just send the worker to a different hotel. Or the worker would move to a different temp agency.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

All of the above. They fire 3 rounds into a water tank, retrieve, examine, record and file results.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Pretty filthy looking and no ammo, but safely heading home.
    6a4a216773a543c129d221a4ec31c54a.jpg

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Are you referring to the hotel staff not being so honest? (Asks a former NOPD detective.)
    It's not an accusation against the many great NOPD officers, but more of a reference to the administration's anti second amendment stance. There are multiple reports of the difficulties in getting a firearm back from NOPD due to the onerous processes in place.

But dishonest hotel staff is also an issue.
    My wife is going to stop by the hotel today and tip the housekeeper that turned it in.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's not an accusation against the many great NOPD officers, but more of a reference to the administration's anti second amendment stance. There are multiple reports of the difficulties in getting a firearm back from NOPD due to the onerous processes in place.

But dishonest hotel staff is also an issue.
    My wife is going to stop by the hotel today and tip the housekeeper that turned it in.

I was actually asking with a bit of sarcasm that likely didn't come across. But I know from experience there are cops who are ignorant of our gun laws. As the saying goes, jack of all trades, master of none. I've cringed before when I heard officers ask someone if their gun was registered. Why would you register a weapon unless you were forced to? The only weapon I have registered is an SBR. (The rest got washed away in the flood a year ago. It was terrible.) I've stopped a former co-worker from booking a guy with carrying a concealed weapon when the guy had a permit from Mississippi. I had to show him the reciprocity info on the LSP website. He still went to jail for other charges.

As far as getting the firearms back, I've heard it was difficult. And yes, the city does have an anti-gun stance. In general, to get a gun back in New Orleans, it has to be listed as property and not evidence. The owner has to come in during the hours Central Evidence & Property is open. And I believe they need to show ownership of the weapon, which would be the tricky part. I can't show that I own all of my weapons. For example, I have a 1911 that I cannot remember from where I bought it and I know I don't have the receipt. (Well, I had the 1911. That darn flood.) So if I left it somewhere, I don't know if I could prove it was mine. I've got pictures of all my weapons and their serial numbers but would that count?

Top Bottom