G-Code Scorpion Soft Shell Rifle Mag Carrier - Initial Impressions (pic heavy post)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I recently needed a couple of rifle mag carriers. After a bit of research, I settled on the G-Code Scorpion. No doubt their design was heavily influenced by the HSGI Taco®. I was trying to stay away from the Taco® for a couple of reasons. First, it has a molle back. I will be mounting the carrier on a duty belt and molle is not the best method for doing so. The second reason has nothing to do with the product itself. I hate the name. The Taco® seemed to be a departure from other carriers on the market at the time. Since the Taco® came out, a number of companies either copied it or at leased based a new product on it. But since the Taco® was one of the first, a number of articles/reviews have been written about it. In a number of the articles and in almost all of the product listings for the Taco®, The name Taco® isn't written without a ® or quotes or something to remind you that you are looking at a copyrighted name and not a traditional Mexican dish composed of a corn or wheat tortilla folded or rolled around a filling. We get it. You came up with a cool name. But them your lawyers stepped in. Or maybe it bothers me more than it should.

Back to the G-Code Scorpion.
    uLkOfGf.jpg

I ordered mine with a molle attachment. I know that's ironic based on what I said above about molle but the molle was a backup to a better plan for my situation.
    Jao1fAl.jpg

Kj1k0LM.jpg

oRhJACI.jpg

oRhJACI.jpg

The PMAG fit snug in the carrier but isn't tough to pull out.
    mtXuRrg.jpg

44YHGF8.jpg

The sides are a rubbery plastic that have more give that I thought they would from the pictures. That's neither good nor bad, but simply an observation.
    DfvIglz.jpg

My backup plan was to wrap the 3 inch length of molle strap around the back of my 2 inch duty belt. I see that my backup plan would not have worked due to the thickness of my duty belt.
    TejZhww.jpg

9cF4j44.jpg

Through my research on various mag carriers and various mounting systems, I ran across an article or a forum or something that said the Scorpion RTI screw pattern fit the Blade Tech Tek-Lok. The RTI system is G-Code's quick mount system. I already knew the upper corners and the lower center holes of the Tek-Lok matched up with the pattern of the Blackhawk mounts. And I remembered Blackhawk had a mount that fith the width of my duty belt. My old Taser had a Blackhawk holster. So I took a chance and picked up a Blackhawk Mod-U-Lok.
    weOW87d.jpg

9TbKVdy.jpg

It does fit the duty belt.
    mw2VLPN.jpg

5CpZabc.jpg

Here is the hole pattern on the back of the scorpion.
    L3DtP42.jpg

The hole pattern was compatible with the Mod-U-Lok. And because of the hole pattern Blackhawk uses, you can cant the carrier if desired.
    VRzpSak.jpg

qkiTLnq.jpg

hVWiJJr.jpg

And the hole pattern is compatible with the Tek-Lok as well.
    pzINYkP.jpg

And with the Mod-U-Lok, the carrier fits on my Duty Belt.
    wlmyhPN.jpg

N447LIm.jpg

Interestingly, the thickness of the belt opening of the Tek-Lok and the Mod-U-Lok don't seem too much different.
    rB7peAc.jpg

But the Tek-Lok will not close when put on the duty belt.
    sJZt7Vf.jpg

So I believe the G-Code Soft Shell Scorpion with Blackhawk Mod-U-Lok will work out.
    LN8Rf1O.jpg

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    Hsgi tacos do have a belt attachment.

Thanks for the review though, been wondering about these.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hsgi tacos do have a belt attachment.

Thanks for the review though, been wondering about these.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yes, but their design seems less than ideal. It looks like a loop the belt slips through or you wrap around the belt and Velcro. It doesn't appear their solution would hold the carrier rigid to the belt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    Very good review. I don't need this but if I did this would have very helpful.
    Wingate

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom