NFA process modernized!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I made a post about this on my FB and IG pages (copied below). Although this will save some time, the real big news here is ATF cooperating with industry to make the process better. Silencer Shop has this bad habit of sensationalizing everything and the problem is it screws with the consumers expectations. I'd always rather under promise and over deliver and this news unfortunately isn't even as big as ATF processing E-File Form 3s in a few days. It's good news but just one small piece of what needs to happen. But we are seeing progress and change so that is something to be hopeful about.

Here's the post:

So some of you may have seen Silencer Shop's big announcement about bar coded forms and how they would be soooo much faster. And while it is an improvement (and we are thankful for any) I decided their spin needed a little dose of reality so here goes.

-At this time, the ATF has not yet implemented the bar code system on their end; however, we (and every other dealer that does a significant volume of NFA items) will have bar codes included on forms by the end of the month.

-The bar code system is simply used to eliminate about 60 seconds of data entry at the ATF, and it isn't ground breaking by any means. Bar codes should make the data entry portion more efficient, but wait times for approvals will only decrease if the data entry personnel are reassigned to other form approval tasks. In fact if you read Adam Kraut's article at https://blog.princelaw.com/2017/08/...sf-importexport-conference-in-washington-d-c/ (scan down to the NFA section) you will see that forms are ALREADY being inputted within 72 hours of receipt according to the ATF.

-Regardless of whether a form has a bar code on it or not, its placement in line for approval will remain the same. The approval timeline for form 4s with bar codes will not differ from those without bar codes.

Not exactly earth shattering and definitely overblown, but as I said we appreciate any advancement in getting forms back sooner.

Meplat Group, LLC
    504-717-3377

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I just really wish they would figure out a way to revive the electronic form 4 process. Maybe they could make a system where you would apply for a reference number for your form 4 that you could include with your finger prints and photos that you would physically have to send in....or they could just keep a damn copy on file! lol. I really hope that sooner than later they come up with a fast track system at the minimum.

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I just really wish they would figure out a way to revive the electronic form 4 process. Maybe they could make a system where you would apply for a reference number for your form 4 that you could include with your finger prints and photos that you would physically have to send in....or they could just keep a damn copy on file! lol. I really hope that sooner than later they come up with a fast track system at the minimum.

Agreed. I've long maintained that that they should index individuals by social and require trust or other juridical entities to pull an EIN that they can reference as a unique number. Having this would allow them to just update off of previously reviewed backgrounds and could minimize the need for sending prints and pics every time.

They will be bringing back eforms but they will have to figure out a way to submit pics and prints electronically (the equipment I own has that capability as it also used by law enforcement agencies). That's why Form 4s for individuals couldn't be submitted electronically before.

Silencer Shop killed the old eforms for Form 4s with their batch uploading ********. It's a shame that one group can't play by the rules so we all suffered. I generally get along with all the other local shops and am friends with a lot of the big suppressor dealers in the country---Capitol Armory (they are bigger than Silencer Shop), Hansohn Brothers, Quiet Riot, etc. but I wouldn't **** on Silencer Shop if they were on fire.

nola.bugler

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    New Orleans
    I just Form 4'ed a suppressor yesterday. I'll be interested to see if wait times are positively affected. If not, I'm no better off than without the barcode. No big deal to me either way. Just submit it and forget it.

meplatgroup

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    I just Form 4'ed a suppressor yesterday. I'll be interested to see if wait times are positively affected. If not, I'm no better off than without the barcode. No big deal to me either way. Just submit it and forget it.

So from what I understand forms will still be entered in the order they are received whether or not they have barcodes. Barcodes obviously speed up the process so as more and more people come online using them the effect will be greater. As of the time of the announcement last week I don't think NFA Branch had started scanning barcode files other than testing. Hopefully they now have everything in place to use them on all forms that have them.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    I made a post about this on my FB and IG pages (copied below). Although this will save some time, the real big news here is ATF cooperating with industry to make the process better. Silencer Shop has this bad habit of sensationalizing everything and the problem is it screws with the consumers expectations. I'd always rather under promise and over deliver and this news unfortunately isn't even as big as ATF processing E-File Form 3s in a few days. It's good news but just one small piece of what needs to happen. But we are seeing progress and change so that is something to be hopeful about.

Here's the post:

So some of you may have seen Silencer Shop's big announcement about bar coded forms and how they would be soooo much faster. And while it is an improvement (and we are thankful for any) I decided their spin needed a little dose of reality so here goes.

-At this time, the ATF has not yet implemented the bar code system on their end; however, we (and every other dealer that does a significant volume of NFA items) will have bar codes included on forms by the end of the month.

-The bar code system is simply used to eliminate about 60 seconds of data entry at the ATF, and it isn't ground breaking by any means. Bar codes should make the data entry portion more efficient, but wait times for approvals will only decrease if the data entry personnel are reassigned to other form approval tasks. In fact if you read Adam Kraut's article at https://blog.princelaw.com/2017/08/...sf-importexport-conference-in-washington-d-c/ (scan down to the NFA section) you will see that forms are ALREADY being inputted within 72 hours of receipt according to the ATF.

-Regardless of whether a form has a bar code on it or not, its placement in line for approval will remain the same. The approval timeline for form 4s with bar codes will not differ from those without bar codes.

Not exactly earth shattering and definitely overblown, but as I said we appreciate any advancement in getting forms back sooner.

Meplat Group, LLC
    504-717-3377

If they are input within 72 hours, where is the other 9 months of wait time? I understand FBI takes a few weeks (to get someone through their "instant" NICS check), but then what? Just curious.

Top Bottom