CVA single shots

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    CVA is currently offering the Hunter (the affordable option) and the Scout v2. The Scout v2 is their higher end model with a stainless fluted barrel.

I'm trying to find out how these compare to the CVA Elite Stalker, but after lots of searching I'm having limited success with any direct comparisons. Of course CVA doesn't have the Elite Stalker on their website any longer.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I've got the Scout in 44 mag and its hands down one of my favorite rifles. Its very accurate, ergonomic (for me) and easly to carry all day. I dont have experience with the Elite Stalker but i do have an Optima muzzleloader that looks to be the same stock and configuration as the Elite Stalker. Its notably heavier and longer than the Scout. While its not unbearable to carry on a hunt, it doesnt shoulder as quickly for me as the Scout. In short its longer and heavier than the Scout.

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    Thanks for the feedback - this helps. I've been looking for something for the primitive firearms season and narrowed it down to one of these...likely the Elite Stalker simply due to picking one up locally used w/ some ammo.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I loaded up some 240 gr XTPs today. Handgun load data puts velocities just south of 1500 fps. It took me 7 or 8 rounds to get zeroed 2" high at 35 yards. The best part, i handed it over to my boy and he put 2 in the target touching just above the bullseye. His longest shot will be 50 yards where we are hunting so with a little good fortune and the right opportunity he will get his 1st deer with it this year.

Drummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    NELA
    I have a CVA hunter 44 mag and really like it so far. This will be my first year hunting with it. I'm using my same loads I use in my Redhawk, a 240gr Sierra JHC and hits 1750fps out of the rifle.

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    I did not notice it until I placed a call to CVA today, but the Scout has a trigger guard breech as opposed to the lever on the front on the Hunter. They also aren't supporting the Elite Stalker any longer. All the research and feedback from the good folks here is probably going to cost me more (albeit not much more) money!

I've been mostly looking at 45-70, but the 44 mag is intriguing. I hear some great things and then some bad things (accuracy) about 35 Whelen, but honestly wonder if that's due more to the weapon...often times a Handi rifle. No offense to any Handi lovers.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I haven't shot my 35 much (because it's not much fun to do so) but with Barnes ammo it is plenty accurate, and extremely effective. 45-70 is very effective as well, I've shot it in an H&R that was pretty harsh, but in my Marlin 1895 it's not bad at all.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    I have an elite stalker, and so does my step dad, both in .444 . They are very effective at taking deer. Be wary of the Hornady Lever Evolution rounds though. In all the deer I have taken with them, The round appears to detonate inside of the deer causing massive damage, which isn't bad as they drop very close to where they were shot. It literally turns their chest cavity into soup. However, they seem to fragment and destroy a good bit of meat as well. Last one I shot was about 125 yards, and I found 5 pieces of the round while cleaning the deer, and it wasn't even half of the rounds weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom